Clamps

iqon

Advert

Try these **LINK**

Or these **LINK**

You ould probably be better getting the 6ins ones.

Be warned though, that as good as they are, all these clamps suffer from a weakness on the pivot point. You have nice metal clamps with a plastic pivot point !!!

A bit like the multipak craft knives which have spare blades and then the locking mechanism breaks (plastic again). face 19

Posted by Martin Harris on 27/06/2014 00:15:45:

Loads of clamps in Pound shops - not very wonderful quality but quantity is often the key for light duty modelling tasks...

I may only need them the oncewink

It depends what you want to use them for. Most of those clamps shown so far will be OK for clamping wood but not balsa. The pressure they can produce will crush balsa very easily. The small surfaces need to be increased by pieces of scrap wood or ply for any use where the appearance is important, otherwise marking easily occurs.

For balsa fuselage etc then the SLEC rubber band clamps are ideal. They produce a parallel action and the pressure can be increased or decreased by the rubber bands. However SLEC only list the small versions now, I dont know why they dont list the very popular 4 inch capacity ones. They can grip 1/8 inch to 4 inches to light or firm pressure just by twisting the bands around another few turns. ( Plummet showed the tiny versions in his photo) I will ask SLEC at their stand at Wings and Wheels this weekend to find if the 4inch are still available. Meanwhile consider using 2 rubber bands and 2 pieces of wood ( perhaps 1/2 inch square) to clamp balsa fuselages etc. Use weights such as chunks of metal, old gel cell batteries etc to glue flat sheet balsa parts. Clothes pegs or Bulldog clips can be used or the plastic sort of DIY clips in various sizes are handy, but they really need a bit of ply to even out the pressure over a larger area to prevent making marks in the balsa.

Edited By kc on 27/06/2014 10:51:43

Edited By kc on 27/06/2014 10:52:55

Well I asked SLEC about the 4inch Handy clamps (the rubber band type ideal for balsa) and the answer is they are just selling off the last few. They had just a few packets left at the end of Wings and Wheels. It seems some problem with lost tooling prevents them making more! One of aeromodellings handiest tools will no longer be available.

Posted by kc on 29/06/2014 19:45:08:

Well I asked SLEC about the 4inch Handy clamps (the rubber band type ideal for balsa) and the answer is they are just selling off the last few. They had just a few packets left at the end of Wings and Wheels. It seems some problem with lost tooling prevents them making more! One of aeromodellings handiest tools will no longer be available.

Poo!

Well, I have to say that, in reality, the clamp I use most often is ...

Masking tape.

We have a friendly local sort-of-cash-and-carry-asian-restaurant-supply place that sells x rolls of masking tape at about x/3 quid.

I normally hate using anything disposable, but lengths of masking tape, I just about overcome my qualms.

The same shop also sells the most superb loaf tins for home baked bread, ...

I may be going off topic a little, so I will shut up.

Plummet

PostThought:- What do asian restaurants use masking tape for? Perhaps it is to stop them getting extra paint onto flock wallpaper. Does my masking tape pull the fluff off flock wallpaper? We need a scientific study upon this perhaps.

Or perhaps not!

Yeap, I bought 4 cheapo ones from The Range. And they work well enough.

But I have recently acquired a pair, so far, of Roughneck Nylon Ratcheting 75mm clamps from Machine Mart's new shop in Exeter. Cheap as chips too considering their apparent great quality. They are a bit heavy in the handle area which is only a problem if you can't support them away from the clamping point, but you can moderate the pressure so nicely that two pieces of foam can be clamped securely and not about crushing if you don't add anything to spread the load.

Lifetime warranty too!

I shall pick up some more when I am down near there next time. (that is, if I don't decide to buy a lathe or something)

The pads are soft plastic and grip without marking.