Joining foam wings

I've just joined a pair of wing halves for a Bullet and it got me thinking about the glass bandage we use.

Traditionally we run the strip of glass across the chord so that the weave is square to the wing. This means only half of our glass strands run spanwise, the rest are superfluous at most holding the spanwise strands in place.

Well. I haven't got any bandage, but I have got plenty of 25gm cloth, so I put on 4 layers cut with the weave at 45 degrees, so both warp and weft cross the join and all the strands should be pulling their weight.

I hope!

I also used differing strip widths so I ended up with a soft edge. One bonus of using lots of thin layers is that it needed very little sandingthumbs up

So have I built a self-destruct wing?

I think foam wings joined with Glass tape are massively strong and probably much stronger than they need to be...... Has anyone ever had a foam wing fail at the centre join in flight? Correct me if I'm wrong but I seem to remember that in the original Wot 4, Chris Foss used an open weave CLOTH (not glass) tape stuck on/impregnated with PVA glue. Admittedly it was a pretty thick wing but it never failed under quite severe stress.

I think it will be fine Bob...... and please do tell us if it fails!

Paul

Yes Paul, it used to be common to reinforce built up wing centre joints with a layer of medical bandage glued on with balsa cement, then later it got hi-tech by using PVA to bond the bandage on foam wings.

In actual fact all we are doing is linking the veneer, thats where all the strength is in tension. Anything beyond that is to resist the wing seat digging in

Bob

After years of slapping on the horrible, thick glass bandage and trying to fair and smooth it down to the veneer without cutting into the veneer I gave up and started doing it the way you have. It works....

With your method it's also possible to extend a few layers of the cloth further out into the span of the wing to spread the stress. Actually it seems that you've done that too, so I wouldn't worry

and that makes three!cheeky

I could understand you having a problem with polyester resins (Davids and the like from Halfords), they do stink, but most epoxy laminating resins are pretty odour free. They also have the added bonus of not melting foam. I use Z-Poxy simply because it was what was available last time I bought some.

• 6 years later...
Posted by Andy Green on 24/07/2014 17:48:50:

Hi Bob

Check this out from Probuild.

There are also example of how I do it on my website.

Andy

Edited By Andy Green on 24/07/2014 17:49:43

Andy,

Enjoyed reading your build threads on your website. Always considered building a BarFli, with a Phil Kraft design you know it’s going to fly well.

In the process of completing Doug Spreng’s Twister from about the same era, electrifying it which I’m not convinced about but guess it’s the way ahead.

John

I've heard of a method where an elongated rhombus is used instead of a square or rectangle of cloth so that the warp and weft are at 45° to the wing span, that is so the widest part of the rhombus is parallel with the main spar. Never tried it nor seen it done in real life but it is a thing according to other forums.

Just saw the latest post on this thread and in my opinion you are all over engineering this. Years ago we would purchase a wing bandage kit which comprised of some very heavy GF and resin which we applied to the join after gluing with epoxy. Talk about an overkill, you could jump up and down on the thing and it would not break.

A while now since I made a foam wing but one 2" wide layer of 25-50gm cloth is quite enough. Ever tried to rip thin cloth by hand?

A couple of years ago I built another TN 72" Spit. but this time got rid of all the spruce and most of the ply. It has two wing joints which have no braces and relies on the small overlap of the 18gm cloth at joins. 4 3/4lb saved.

I throw this around quite a bit and not broken anything yet.

Most of the models I build are built-up wings but one method I've used I copied from Precedent. Their foam wing Fun Fly (the current kits are built up, I think) kit had slots cut into the wing and you insert a supplied 3mm plywood brace that is at the correct dihedral. I used the same method on my 1/4 scale Percival Mew Gull (it took a bit of courage to cut the slots on my bandsaw) and it flies beautifully. No wing bandage at all so no change of section with its potential stress point. The wing brace is the full depth of the wing so is highly unlike to break.

Another Fun Fly tehnique I've also adopted is to cut a chunk of foam out at the leading edge join point and replace it with soft balsa which takes the location dowel. Much better than glueing it into foam - especially at the join where there's hard, cured epoxy.

Geoff