TSR2 in Depron

When it comes to building in Depron, Tony and I seem to have something in common! I would have thought though for a 100" long model like this, it's still quite a lot lighter than a conventional build.

My next attempt with this mystical material is going to follow your techniques Simon, though I confess in a simplified manner! I want to see what I can do with it. (It should at least be funny).

Tony, that works out at about 4 ft^2 for the actual wings. Which would suggest about 32 oz ft^-2.

I am not sure if that is high for a model of that size, seems high. If it is high, you will be flying briskly or maybe some weight reduction or an increase in wing area? If not high all is wellsmiley.

I guess you can measure the wing area?

the main wing is 48 inches span with a root chord of 26inches, tip chord is 7inches.

so 24 x 33 should give a wing area.

792 square inches.

or 5.5 square feet.

8lb is 128 oz.

so that is about 23oz per square ft of wing.

ok i think 8lb is erring on the heavy side for the finished model.

the vulcan has come in at 6lb plus the battery.

so somewhere round 6 to 8lbs should be the finished target weight.

On the positive side, at the higher end of the wing loading, it should handle rough air somewhat better than a lightly loaded wing. Also, there is always the option to build a bigger wing, if thought desirable.

I have noticed that many propriety scale models take liberties with wing and tail areas, often thining the body down, so a bit of licence is not unusual.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Tony,

Looking very good, having looked around the full size at Duxford on Sunday I am watching this build with interest.

It certainly is an inspiring looking machine and way ahead of its time.

I dont want to start old arguments about the rights and wrongs of cancelling it, but the whole aerospace hall filled me with pride about what we used to be able to do as a nation, and think about what we have become.

Rant over and good luck with the build and flying.

Many thanks Tony & I concur your way of thinking. I am keen to know where the c of g is and how sensitive it is. I would love to build mine at 80" long & 38" span for 1/12th scale. Maybe if should go for 40" span & aim to put a pair of 89mm EDF's. Would a all moving fin & tailerions and flaps for the main wing be advisable as per full size.

Edited By Keith Simmons on 22/09/2014 16:39:21