The Atom Special

Richard Harris

Posted by sebrien andre on 18/09/2014 04:54:10:

Hi All

I would like to build it !

Do you know where I can get a copy of the 2014 special issue to be "sent to France" ?

Or could someone here make it for me ?

Thanks for answer

Andre

Andre,

Hi Andre,

I am in France next week for a month or so (hopefully), Dept 55. If you PM me your address I will try and get you a copy of the magazine.

Sante

Bob

Alan,

No I haven't, but I know a man who has. Ian Smith converted his RPG to a water capable autogyro with great success. If memory serves me correctly he had to increase the length of the blades and did a lot of experimenting using ballast weight to replicate the mass of the floats.

I have seen him take it off wet grass but never off water which it does well.

The closest I have ever got to water is snow.

OD RPG in the snow

GT in the snow

Rich

Rich - great info.

I do a lot of water flying and thought it would be a quick job to make some floats for the Atom. However, I had an idea that there might be a degree of experimenting and new techniques to learn. I did think about a hand launch with floats and then if the flight trim seemed OK then go for a water landing.

Where is the CG on the Atom (waiting for Mrs to come home with the Magazine...)?

Perhaps I'm getting a bit ahead of myself! I'll build the Atom and see how I do with flying from solid ground first.

I do enjoy taking off and landing with skis, so perhaps that can be my first experiment before moving onto floats.

So, back the second part of my blade making, remember last time I had completed the shaping and root plate parts and drilled the 3mm mounting hole.

No to the important bit .... balancing them... the better you make this, the less vibration you should have:

First job is to find the heaviest blade. Do this by balancing each in turn. Once the heaviest one is found this will be the reference blade as when we add weight to the others during the balance process we do not want to add more to the heavy one is we can help it... At this stage is you were careful with wood selection the differences should be small

sam_2303.jpg

Next we need to find the span balance point - as all need to be the same to avoid vibrations. A simple scrap of triangular is used. Mark the blade once found

sam_2304.jpg

Then when all have been done stand on their tip end and see how close they come out. Remebred the heavy reference blade. I mark this with a V and then this is now the target for the other two........

sam_2305.jpg

Place the others on the reference blade balance point position marked on them and then I add weight to make it balance - Balsaloc normally does the trick....

sam_2306.jpg

Once they all balance at the same span position its back to the comparison with the reference blade.... Again weight is added to the lighterblade but this time at the span balance point, until they match the heavy blade.

sam_2303.jpg

sam_2330.jpg

Once this is all done the blades are covered in film and strips added to suit your style....

FINALLY, back to the balancer to check, again find the heavy blade and then match the other two to this, as you see below the blade on the right was light and needed a small piece, again at the span balance point.

sam_2331.jpg

So now all three should have the same span balance point and be the same weight.... SIMPLE and very rewardingwink

Steve

Edited By Steve Jones 2 on 20/09/2014 22:08:12

Here are a few snaps taken today of Steve's Atom Special which took to the air for the first time. I also let others have a go with mine to see what they think, managed to get a bit of video footage of them both together and having a mid air! luckily damage was minimal with a broken prop and a wheel rim popping off.

img_4718.jpg

img_4719.jpg

img_4723.jpg

img_4735.jpg

Rich

Edited By Richard Harris on 21/09/2014 19:41:09

Well, As both Rich's report the Maiden went Ok, really pleased...

First take off was a little scarey as after a short run into wing it lept into the air with an alarming 70 deg nose up attitude... "Blimey those blades produce some lift....." came the cry from onlookers - quite a complement !! However the nose up attitude was not right. My increase of blade chord to 52mm compared to the AJ blades 44mm seemed to have a big effect.

After a suggestion to add more shim to reduce the lift , I was running only 0.4mm (1/64", I added another to make it 0.8mm or 1/32".

Next attempt with a little forward trim and we were up and running - much better and after flying the battery out ... well chuffed!

Final change was to change the prop from the 10x6 to a 10x4.7 slow fly. This gave a reduction in current and a better balance of power delivery through the throttle range.

A few more flights and I think Mr. Harris you have another winner on your hands winkwink. Hopefully with t eplan now issued there will be plenty more taking to the sky .....

sam_2353.jpg

sam_2354.jpg

Steve

Edited By Steve Jones 2 on 21/09/2014 21:24:10

I was given the opportunity to be a test pilot yesterday with Rich's "Atom Special".

Top marks Rich, you have another wonderful flyer.

There was a mild wind, not too strong, and it allowed me to feel if there were any surprises. There were none.

I have to say it flies as well as it looks.

Due to the small fuzz it does not get much effect from the wind, and Rich has the engine power just right. Enough to make it shift if needed, but also give a long flight time.

Thanks mate for allowing me the pleasure of flying your “Atom Special”.

Now I am not saying anything other than I return her in the same good condition you let me have it, unlike others! LOL laugh

Andy

Well i hope it flies better than my Auto G did yesterday , needless to say i have repairs to do .

I got speaking to a club member and he reported the same problems that i was having , slow response needing to be flown by using all three controls , power , ruder , head .

i take it auto gyros are not as easy as planes to fly demanding more input from the flyer ?

Steve