The Atom Special

Richard Harris

Advert

Hi Steve/Rich,

I an using AJ blades with .4mm shims and so far my flights have been short - and not too sweet!

The spin up seems good but stability in the air is dire.

Hang angle is 15deg and throws have been very carefully checked.

Could changing to .8mm shims be worth a try?

Peter

Peter,

I am not sure about AJ blades as I always make my own. They do however have a good word from many in all their sizes so don't understand your comment on stability at the present. Could you expand what you mean to give us more of a clue - in what way and when etc

Steve

Edited By Steve Jones 2 on 14/03/2015 09:43:43

dscn0078.jpgHere's Mick with his new Atom at Old Warden, we flew it last week and like all atoms........ it flew very well. He is going to give it more rearward tilt travel to help with the spin up on calmer days. I was most impressed with the home made head, nice woirk.

Chasdscn0069.jpg

Posted by Grasshopper on 14/03/2015 08:35:42:

Hi Steve/Rich,

I an using AJ blades with .4mm shims and so far my flights have been short - and not too sweet!

The spin up seems good but stability in the air is dire.

Hang angle is 15deg and throws have been very carefully checked.

Could changing to .8mm shims be worth a try?

Peter

Hi Peter

I f your control throws are set as recommended , could your description of unstable flight refer to an apparent over sensitive roll response? If so a lower shim thickness will result in more lift which in turn can increase the following rate to the point were roll response is hard to manage. Reducing control throws further and or adding expo will probably not help but adding tip weights will so the question is .....do the blades have tip weights fitted?

Increasing the shims to 0.8mm may also make things feel better ,but if spin up is good it may be preferable to maintain high lift and add tip weights if not already fitted. Should you already have tip weights then a more detailed account of the the flight characteristics would help.

Regards

Tom.

Graham,

thanks for the information. Your idle tilt is 3.5 degrees left and (I thnk) idle ptch is 5 degrees back?

My mate Sam and myself are runnung as follows

hang angle 16 deg

idle left tilt 1 deg

idle pitch 0 deg,

Sams Atom is not on AJ blades and he has had several good flights but thinks it needs more 'sorting' before it will be good.

My AJ blades are 460 long with bolt hole 10mm in from root end. I note that youir bolt hole is 25mm in. Might this be a problem on mine?

I am off to make some more tests in 30 minutes and will report back.

Peter.

Edited By Grasshopper on 15/03/2015 08:28:13

Chas,

Nice Atom Mick has made there, I do like the head work. Is it an optical illusion or is his Atom a little bigger?

Peter,

I think 'Stability in the air' needs to be a bit more defined so as to pin point the issue. Could it be that it is just out of trim? As I have have mentioned before I find it best to hop the model and trim in between if needed until a hop with virtually no input from the pilot is needed.

If your blades are spinning up and it is taking to the air, I very much doubt that the issue is with the AJ's, to date I have not heard any stories of bad AJ blades.

Good luck with your flying today, we expect a full flight report later on thumbs up

Rich

Peter

My head tilt back is 5 degrees measured using the tailplane as the 0 degreedatum line. In other words if you put a pitch gauge on the tailplane and prop the model up until it reads 0 degrees you can then measure the tilt back by putting the gauge on the head plate and adjust till you get 5 degrees. That is a good starting point and any further a adjustment can be done when it flies. Side tilt is measured looking at the model from the rear and I started at 2 degrees left and had to increase to 3.5 degrees to trim it out properly and stop it banking right.

Your blades should be fine with the measurements you have and should not affect stability .

Agree with the other guys comments that without knowing exactly what it is doing when you say it is unstable it is difficult to give advice on what to adjust.

Have flown 3 atoms and seen another 4 or 5 and all have flown well off the board with relatively minor trimming

Graham

Graham, Rich et al, thanks for your input. I was unable to fly yesterday as it was raining, windy and cold. My visit to the club was not in vain as one of the chaps said he had video of one of my short lights. I have now looked at this many times and clearly the spin up is good but take-off occured probably before there was much lift with a resulting rapid bank left (stall?) and into the deck. Other tests gave the same result. I also noted that after the 'take off' applying full right roll to try to compensate did nothing at all, probably I guess as the blade speed/thrust was insufficient.

Over to Grahams nice clear email: I have just checked my pitch angle as he detailed and with the tail boom horizontal the neutral pitch is 6 deg to the rear which should be near enough? The pitch throws are +- 6 deg. The roll neutral is 1 degree left so less than Grahams and the roll throws are +-12 from neutral.

In my humble opinion then my initial attempts were doomed to failure as take off occured before the head speed was sufficient. What do we think?

Peter

Edited By Grasshopper on 16/03/2015 09:47:46

Edited By Grasshopper on 16/03/2015 09:48:06

Peter,

Clue for me if my rotors are spinning fast enough at the point of take off is if just addition of a little more power creates the lift off.

If 'lift off' is encouraged by the application of rear tilt (a bit like elevator on a fixed wing), it the head is not upto flying speed the the dreated 'snap left' normally happens. If your lucky sometime it can be caught, if your not then time to get the glue out.

So now I try and spin up the rotor and take off with only power at the point of rotation, if it wont your not ready.....when you you get it right its really rewarding.

The message I learn the hard way to start is - Dont try and force the takeoff.

Good luck

I can support what Steve is saying. When there is a bit of wind, I leave the motor off, tilt the head fully backwards, wait until the rotor is more or less up to operating rpm, tilt back to neutral and apply power. Then wait until your AG takes off by itself. In a low wind situation I sometimes apply a little power early on to move forward slowly and help the rotor spin up, but always return to neutral pitch before opening the throttle fully. The trick is to recognize "operating rpm", which comes with experience only........indecision

I have had situations where there was wind, and I left the backwards tilt for too long, resulting in taking off and flipping over from stationary frown.

Max.

Edited By Max Z on 16/03/2015 14:43:43