The Atom Special

Richard Harris

Hi All,

I had another couple sets of blades to balance and came up with this idea which I found dead easy in finding the chord balance. . It's an odd piece of anodized of aluminium angle I had, I stated anodized because I found the edges were rounded where as un-anodized were finished square.000_0167.jpg.000_0166.jpg.000_0168.jpg I found it far easier than the pin method,

Terry

Finally got my Atom to straighten up and fly right! Ive found that by programming a switch to throw the disc head fully rearwards I can encourage the blades to spin up a lot faster. I then release the throttle hold, level the head and away she goes.

Yes I know the rudder cables shouldn't be crossed, they had worked a bit loose so I did this as a temporary fix.

A little video your for your amusement.

Well I've managed a few flights with my Atom, but it's all a bit hairy. Once airborne it's not too bad, although I ran out of forward trim and was flying holding a lot of forward stick, but take offs are horrendous. It takes an age to get the blades up to speed and then it lifts off and points vertically upward - it was prop hanging at one point. Tried less throttle but still the same.

So, to Rich and other Atom experts here, where do I start getting this trimmed better? Blades are 450 by 56mm, made to Rich's instructions, 0.8mm shims. Seem quite slow to spin up. Hang angle is 16.5deg, downthrust on motor is 5 deg, head angle is 7.5 deg back relative to tailboom. Is it just a matter of moving this forward until it flies right?

Actually, since I started typing this, it seems the obvious thing to do dont know, but having set it all up according to the various angles given in this thread I had hoped it would fly better than this.

David, I had the same problem as well. So I made the following modifications / adjustments:

- Moved the battery further to the nose (almost all the way)

- Changed 0.4mm shims with 0.8mm shims

- lowered the head angle a few degrees (down elevator towerds the nose)

it still has a tendency to nose up during take off but its better compared to initial setup

Frank,

Nice flying thumbs up let us know how your mates get on with their Atom's and please send me a photo.

David,

7.5 degrees rearward tilt is a bit too much I think, set it to about 5 degrees and see if it cures the nosing up. To help spin up you can always 'tweek' the U/C and pull it in a touch to increase the angle of attack on terra firma or add larger diameter wheels.

Rich

Richard, will do.

David, on mine I found I had too much rearward tilt and needed full down trim, I shortened the linkages for the "take 2" flight above (don't ask me what the angle is dont know) and it now flies very nicely. As Richard says I hold in full up at the start of the run (well walking pace), to get the blades spinning, return the elevator stick to neutral and then gradually apply more power and it climbs away. If there was a bit of a breeze, it would be a case of just waiting for the blades to get upto speed and it would take off in a couple of feet.

Well, three successful flights with the Atom yesterday. Take offs are still hair raising as whatever I do it still rears up and prop hangs. It does this with or without any elevator input. If I can wrestle it past that stage it then flies OK, but still has a tendency to roll to the right despite the head being set up with left trim, and further trim added in flight, but at least it's getting very close to hands-off straight and level.

I shortened the pushrods by 3 or 4 mm to decrease the head pitch - I'll try moving the battery further forward next.