Johnny Johnson deserves a knighthood

Daithi O Buitigh

Normally iI wouldn't post petitions here, but this one is deserving, especially seeing we have the last two Lancs on tour.

When you look at the gongs that get handed out just because somebody makes millions kicking a football or warbling a few notes on a recording, Johnny Johnston, as the last survivor of Operation Chastise should get one

Advert

I'm not so sure that this is such a good idea, notwithstanding the respect and admiration that we all feel for him and all the chaps who took part in Operation Chastise. He is modest man by all accounts, who has made his view well known on the heroics of those who took part, and in some cases gave their lives.

Personally, I'd like to see something put in place of a more permanent nature (the bomber command memorial is a start) as the bravery of all flyers during the war years seems to be begun to be forgotten. Take 'Battle of Britain Day' on September 15th and the 'wings week' appeals, both are hardly ever mentioned these days and are in danger IMO, of disappearing from the attention of the wider public if nothing is done.

By all means let's get Johnny his gong, if he's agreeable, but let's also not forget how we could easily allow the memory of all those young flyers (in fact all those who served) to be lost, perhaps in only another generation.

Edited By Cuban8 on 19/08/2014 19:12:42

Tricky one this.

My grandfather came over from New Zealand to join the war effort. He joined up as a Pilot Officer but then got cashiered defending a pal in a prank and went operational in Wellingtons as a Sergeant Pilot. He did three tours starting over Germany, then North Africa and then the Far East. Very few people survived three tours and well before the war ended he went to Training Command hopefully to pass on some of his secrets. He was lucky but he learned quickly. I have seen his log book and his first entries described him as "Average" They don't mince their words. Later entries were "Exemplary" He lost aircrew who were shot and died in the aircraft, he lost aircrew in a forced landing, a rear gunner died baling out when the whole crew were told that he didn't expect to get his damaged plane down in one piece. They were ordered to bale out but the rest put their faith in him. They survived a fair old thumping but were all up again within a week.. Engine out, losing height and in atrocious conditions he nearly converted Salisbury Cathedral into a Winchester lookalike. He had a tough war but as he said many a time "he was just doing his job" In fact they pretty well all said that. He came out with a DFC and had a full career later as a BOAC captain retiring out of VC10s when the younger ones were converting to Jumbos. After retiring he never used his title Captain, he never saw himself as anything special and he died aged 92 just under a year ago. By a very long way, he outlived every single one of his compatriots that all came over on one ship from NZ. He would have absolutely hated the idea of having a knighthood and I have a feeling that this incredibly brave veteran may think the same. "I was just doing my job"

For that reason I am not going to vote but I am going to have a long moment of reflection for one of the very few remaining heroes and all those that didn't make it.

Posted by Daithi O Buitigh on 19/08/2014 16:53:10:

When you look at the gongs that get handed out just because somebody makes millions kicking a football or warbling a few notes on a recording, Johnny Johnston, as the last survivor of Operation Chastise should get one

Are Les Munro and Fred Sutherland still alive?

Posted by Levanter3 on 19/08/2014 19:13:33:

Tricky one this.

My grandfather came over from New Zealand to join the war effort. He joined up as a Pilot Officer but then got cashiered defending a pal in a prank and went operational in Wellingtons as a Sergeant Pilot. He did three tours starting over Germany, then North Africa and then the Far East. Very few people survived three tours and well before the war ended he went to Training Command hopefully to pass on some of his secrets. He was lucky but he learned quickly. I have seen his log book and his first entries described him as "Average" They don't mince their words. Later entries were "Exemplary" He lost aircrew who were shot and died in the aircraft, he lost aircrew in a forced landing, a rear gunner died baling out when the whole crew were told that he didn't expect to get his damaged plane down in one piece. They were ordered to bale out but the rest put their faith in him. They survived a fair old thumping but were all up again within a week.. Engine out, losing height and in atrocious conditions he nearly converted Salisbury Cathedral into a Winchester lookalike. He had a tough war but as he said many a time "he was just doing his job" In fact they pretty well all said that. He came out with a DFC and had a full career later as a BOAC captain retiring out of VC10s when the younger ones were converting to Jumbos. After retiring he never used his title Captain, he never saw himself as anything special and he died aged 92 just under a year ago. By a very long way, he outlived every single one of his compatriots that all came over on one ship from NZ. He would have absolutely hated the idea of having a knighthood and I have a feeling that this incredibly brave veteran may think the same. "I was just doing my job"

For that reason I am not going to vote but I am going to have a long moment of reflection for one of the very few remaining heroes and all those that didn't make it.

Thank you for that excellent post. Spot on..yes

hi Levanter 3

Their is great truth in what you say, I have known 2 people as described a tail end charlie who survived 2 tours in lancs and a coastal command nav (atlantic/middle east/berlin airlift) who is still very active in his late eighties. Looking at the useless articles they award "Honours" too these days lets at least honour those that did and have contributed something to our country expecting nothing for it but doing their job.

Ps I signed.

Sorry to raise a concern, but yesterday when I first got onto this is said, 15000 signatures needed, later that evening it said 25000, ......now it says 35000.

I just wonder what is going off here as we all put our so called electronic signatures but also some indication of location.

Anyone able to put me at a little more ease?