Your best vacuum cleaner?

Tony Read 2

Thanks for all the input guys, much appreciated.

My current vac is a Dyson, but its so old the plastic has gone brittle and its falling apart! The 'brush and vac' part has worked really well until recently, no dirt was safe from this machine. I wish I could say that the vacuum tube really sucks, but that's the problem, it doesn't hardly suck at all. Not from when I first got it. Its unwieldy to use and on my machine is pretty hopeless. I hope things have improved.

I'm worried when manufacturers advertise their machines as being lightweight, which seems to be all the rage at the moment - does this mean that they are not as robust as the older versions?

I'm thinking about a Sebo, they are not cheap and have bags, but seem to get rave reviews.

Advert

Tony, do you carry it up and down stairs?

Looked at another way, medically it is now recommended that as we age we should undertake resistance exercise to avoid bone wasting and brittle bones. You are doing a favour by purchasing a heavier machine that not only works effectively, but is part of a health care programme.

You do need to act quick as the latest EU dictat, is generally accepted will result in less effective machines, which will take longer to clean an area than the present higher powered machines. The newspaper I read, suggested it will not result in energy saving, in reality, although that will not be the reports or admitted.

From watching the office cleaners in the past, the main advantage to them with a Henry (type) was that the waste bin was large, enabling a shift to be undertaken, and easily emptied. As for their efficiency, not sure, as often it seemed that they had just rushed around the floors, picking up little. But then again, it was not the cleaners home.

It would seem that Dysons work, and work well, although at a high financial cost. As one totally resistant to Dyson cleaners, I now know that it was misplaced.

In your case the weight aspect does not seem to be an issue!

Then it all comes down to a few factors

• Cost
  • Effectiveness as cleaner
  • Ease of use
  • Ease of emptying
  • Durability
  • Cost of replacement parts if available.

Another issue that has been high lighted, with all machines it is essential to do your own maintenance, as there are more sharks out there than you can shake a stick at, all trying to empty your wallet, for doing either little, or nothing useful.

From my own experience Dyson have two weak points, initial purchase price and the cost of spares. From recent experience not all domestic products have as good spare availability.

The initial cost, may be high, that is in my opinion, yet looked at from the view point of durability and effectiveness, it can be justified, said through gritted teeth.

Edited By Erfolg on 29/08/2014 14:55:01

Invested in a Miele, works a treat. I don't like bagless vacuum cleaners as the contact with the dust while emptying it is not really good for your health. But by putting households together (officially married since 8 days) one of these bagless things made it into our new house... Vax mach 3. Weight / stairs: no problem, bought a bungalow Good for carpets. And finally in the workshop a Lidl Parkside 30l wet&dry is sucking sawdust and whatever comes in his way....

VA

Both my wife and I had property to sell when we moved into our current house in 1987. This meant that we had two vacuum cleaners,mine a small Hoover, and hers a more expensive and heavier Bosch I think?. Just after we moved in to our house a Vorwerk representative called and talked us into buying one of their cleaners for a mere £400. The small Hoover still survives to this day with replacement motor brushes and after 27 years I am still able to obtain parts from E-Spares including wheels that have been smashed off the body of the machine twice. The Bosch my wife gave away. We were told originally that the Vorwerk cleaner 'would last for life', so when one of their representatives phoned me recently and offered a replacement machine for £900 , I reminded him of their original statement and told him I was still alive!

The Vorwerk has many attachments and two motors including one in the body of the machine and the other in the detachable cleaning head which has a rotating cleaning brush. Both motors are only rated at 250 watts so there is no problem with the new European regulations. You can remove the 'power cleaning head' and attach a powered dry cleaning head for carpets which works with their rather expensive sachets of dry-cleaning snow.

So there you have it buy a Vorwerk if you have a spare £1000, as it was only available to me as a current owner at an exchange price of £900. It can be used to clean beds and remove nasty dust mites and all the other creatures you cannot see with the naked eye!. If you only have a £100 then buy a Hoover.

I find this whole thread very amusing to say the least. laugh

Don't get me wrong. I am all for a good vacuum cleaner, and believe in buying the most powerful I can afford.

I own a Dyson barrel vac myself and never looked back.

The fact that there is well read and responded to thread on the matter I find very amusing indeed.

Never a dull moment here, and who says men can't be domesticated.

Of course, the next logical question should be, how many of us actually use it for house work vs how many of us only use it to keep the work shop clean from wood shavings? question

HENRY lives under the bench in my shed. Comes out to play when he sees that my shed is getting a bit untidy and makes a cracking job of cleaning up.

Not bagless but bags are easy to change, take ages to fill and are cheap to replace.

It's 2 speed. Low speed is handy for cleaning around balsa / models etc and full speed for everything else.

I have a lot of very relevant experience, although having a work room for model making, whilst my wife is away, models and modelling do spill out into many other areas of the house and the garden.

It is the house that is particularly relevant, as gardening activities are simply passed off as " I knew there would be a little mess and I did not want any ...... getting into the rest of the house etc". So anything in the house must be totally eliminated, as my wife can spot dust quicker than our cat can sense cream to be had.

On that basis, the upright, with beater bar beats a cylinder type every time. Also it is essential to have a full hose set available, as those stairs are invariably got a few traces of wood shavings.

If just used in a shed, then certainly the volume of a industrial cylinder type device has a major advantage, although I have observed the limited fine cleaning abilities of many.

The use of the Dyson has saved me from many a severe tongue lashing (I should enjoy that, as they do in some films, but my wife is very cruel crying 2)

Could it have been cloned, or taken over by Aliens?

This could be the beginning of an invasion from outer space, by electronic beings, planning to destroy the human race by Hovering them up, or is that Dysoning up. If any vacuum cleaners come onto the market with a built in compactor, it may well be part of the invasion fleet of Killer Vacuum Cleaners.

Then again not many are able to stand being kicked downstairs.

If parts break on a vacuum cleaner within the first year or so of purchase, would it not be covered by the guarantee, or sales of goods act, as fit for purpose. Unless that is it is an Alien.

I decided that - in the interests of my asthma, I should have a working vacuum cleaner in my workshop and ordered one from Argos.

I had been using (more like tripping over too regularly) a very old Dyson (the original upright model - DC02?) and it was more duct tape and glue than use. It was for the tip.

I went to Argos to collect the new vac. Then to the tip to drop off the old Dyson. Someone there was dumping an old orange industrial vac. I claimed it. It works perfectly. I now have two vacs in my workshop. The new one. The old one.

I trip over them both regularly.

Which do I use?

Neither very often, but when I do, the free scrapper.

Plummet

Well, after reading this thread and hearing that there was a run on vacuum cleaners, I went to Curry's and found a Hoover which claimed to have 2,300 watts of electrical power and 300 watts of suction! Now, how do they measure that? The clincher was the price £89.99 - a 55% discount! I wonder why? However, I shall have to wait until next week for them to get one from their warehouse. The cheapest Dyson they had was over £200. So, our long serving Hoover Junior may have to replace the expensive but heavy and generally useless machine in my shed! We bought the Hoover Junior to replace this expensive white elephant in the first instance!

If you want an upright and one that will last for ever, have a look at a SEBO...... 'good solid german engineering. The salesmen told me that this is what all the hotels use and lo and behold, the next time I stayed in an hotel, they did have SEBOs. So we bought one and have been 100% satisfied.

P

Edited By Paul Jefferies on 31/08/2014 14:41:01

• 5 years later...
Posted by cymaz on 31/08/2014 10:10:48:

My best vacuum cleaner? My wife....oh I'm going to wish I hadn't said thatsecret

Gosh times have moved on...if it’s not flying weather on Sundays, I’m through the house while the better 3/4 is at work. We’re on another Henry. Bought a Dyson Ball, complete rubbish. Glad to see it gone.