2015 Mass Build - Nominations Chat Thread

How about Kamco Kadet and Kamco Kavalier? Plans for both are available and are quite inexpensive. Both are easy to build and fly brilliantly, and there's a choice for your level of experience: complete beginner or club sports flyer level. Both would be suitable for nostalgia events without being vintage. Older modellers will remember them with affection and new models will enjoy making their acquaintance. They also have the advantage of being reasonably compact (56" and 54" span), and use economical size engines (25 and 40) or are easily adapted for electric motors. If I knew how I would post pictures!.

I don't see a reason why not John - I would like to give folks a little more time for nominations yet. Remember some people only pop in occassionally so I'd like to give them a chance to nominate something.

We forget that the very first mass build didn't even start getting nominations until after Christmas! So we've plenty of time yet, its only just October!

So I propose we give it another week or two, then we can start the voting process. (I have something a bit different in mind for that this year!)wink 2

BEB

Having looked through the nominations thread, and having separated the chat from the nominations cheeky there are only two that grabbed my attention,

1 the fly baby, a nice reasonably simple traditional build, with cnc and wood pack available to speed things up, and should not present to many building issues for even the most inexperienced, and few flying problems to most 'A' cert pilots. For the more experienced builders there is the opportunity to ramp up on scale details.

2 the STOL, a truly traditional build with a good proven flying ability, enough quirks to satisfy most of the old hands but still easy enough for a beginner to tackle.

Both can be built with electric and IC power trains, neither are massively costly to build, so if two are chosen I'd be delighted for these to be they.

• 2 weeks later...

Please can I throw in an unashamed plug for one of my own designs - Jocasta? It was the October free plan and has lots to offer as a mass build subject;

1. Straightforward construction to encourage those less familiar with trad. balsa bashing and requires only simple tools.

2. Easily adaptable to a variety of roles and configurations - trainer, toffee bomber, (smallish) glider tug, camera platform, sports hack; you could fit floats, skis, flaps, parachutists, banner towing hook - anything your imagination can dream up!

3. Makes economical use of materials, since the construction is almost entirely 1/4" balsa, apart from the ribs and a few small parts.

4. Eminently suitable for either electric or ic engines.

I hope no-one minds me promoting one of my own designs but I saw it had been nominated and thought I might as well!

Jim.

Jim,

I have done the same and voted for my Atom because I believe it is in the spirit of the mass build, not everyones cup of tea I know but a refreshing challenge for even the hardened fixed wing builder/flier.

I also voted for the Eager Beaver because it is simple and cheap to build and has the potential to be adapted by the more competent builder. Ok, it will never win a beauty contest but it is different and I like different wink 2

If I could have voted a third time it would have been a funfighter.

Rich

Posted by Jim Newberry on 14/10/2014 19:24:19:

Please can I throw in an unashamed plug for one of my own designs - Jocasta? It was the October free plan and has lots to offer as a mass build subject;

1. Straightforward construction to encourage those less familiar with trad. balsa bashing and requires only simple tools.

2. Easily adaptable to a variety of roles and configurations - trainer, toffee bomber, (smallish) glider tug, camera platform, sports hack; you could fit floats, skis, flaps, parachutists, banner towing hook - anything your imagination can dream up!

3. Makes economical use of materials, since the construction is almost entirely 1/4" balsa, apart from the ribs and a few small parts.

4. Eminently suitable for either electric or ic engines.

I hope no-one minds me promoting one of my own designs but I saw it had been nominated and thought I might as well!

Jim.

Jim,

Would a .30 four stroke be suitable power plant for an ic conversion on Jocaster?

Edited By Colin Ashman on 15/10/2014 11:05:35

• 2 weeks later...

Must admit, I'd love an excuse to build an autogyro but on the off chance that the generic "funfighter" might win the day I've been working on an OD BP Defiant... Looks like that design might be back on the "one day" list! Still Hoping Jocasta might be in with a chance - she's only in sixth place and 22 votes behind the leader! disgust

Posted by Phil Winks on 28/10/2014 21:05:53:

Well it appears that its been 4 or 5 days since the last vote was cast are we perhaps getting close to results day I wonder?

if things stay as they are this year will be a serious learning curve for me as I've never built let alone flown an autogyro frown

All the more enjoyment then Phil, good to do something different now n then smiley

John

Well looking at the first page of the "First Round Voting" page, the top ten models go through to stage two on the 31st of October. According to the latest league table posted by Martyn, the top ten models are...

Atom Special (29)

Funfighter (25)

Peter Russell STOL (10)

Clean Sweep (10)

Piper Cub (8)

Jocasta (7)

Flea Fli (6)

Basic 3D (5)

Limbo Dancer (5)

Miss Lizzie (5)

Red Eagle (5)

Sig Wonder (5)

OK so that's 12 models but the last five are all on 5 votes each. TBH I think I'd be happy building any of them!

I'll need to discuss with the 'management' on how we get to the next stage.

I am not sure that 10 models would be a great idea though - I thought that 5 from last year was probably too many. I have a couple of thoughts which I will share later, but at the moment, votes are still down on the usual number we get for the mass build. I'll let the 1st round run for a couple more weeks. I would like to see the selection process completed by the end of November so particiants can get parts and plans ordered in December ready for January 1st start..

Not *that* long to go

Martyn

• 2 weeks later...

I've only started in RC this year, I recently soloed on electric power but I have a trainer for that and don't want more. I also have some SAS foam gliders and some egliders. I'd really like to build something that I don't have at all, ie an unpowered balsa glider. Are there any suitable kits or models that anyone could suggest, that I could then nominate?