2015 Mass Build - Nominations Chat Thread

Yes John.

The Wot4 is a really poor choice. Nobody would ever want to own one of them.That's why there are not many around cheeky

I've only ever owned the one, but from the first flight, I found that there was a little devil sat on my left shoulder saying:

devil "Do it".

devil "Do it".

devil "Do it".

Such a confidence inspiring plane to fly!

Posted by reg shaw on 18/09/2014 14:08:24:

2, An 1/8th scale 1930's civilian, leccy powered, say Tiger, Gipsy Moth at al. This is as its been on my wish list for as long as I've been flying my HP42. The reason being to park it up alongside to show just how huge the full size HP42 was. eg, an 1/8 scale Tiger is about 4ft span, the HP in the same scale is about 17ft. We could even do the mass flying slot and have all of em up at once, HP included, just so long as Mr Hooper doesn't let me nearly snare his model my struts again!! Perhaps I could build something to suit from the RCME free plan range, any suggestions?

Ian.

Hi Ian

I absolutely love the idea of 1/8 scale civilians chasing your Helena around. To that end I've been starting to look for suitable models and remembered that DB S&S have kits for 1/8 Tiger Moth, Cirrus Moth and Sopwith Pup.

All 48" .20 sized and suitable for I/C or electric.

The problem is, that these are really not for first time builders, so may not be the thing for a mass build here.
It's something I'd really like to explore though (except that at the moment I have far too much on).

Cheers
Chris

I have nominated 2 models, the first is my Atom Special because:

90% of modellers will not have built an autogyro before so it would bring together experienced modellers and newbies onto a level playing field having a go at something a bit different. Not only for the building side but the flying side.

It is made from minimal materials and could be blown up in size or constructed from varying materials, be powered with various power plants.

On the flying side (with Greenacres in mind) weather is not a problem, windy or not it will cope with anything thrown at it.

If folk think this is not a good idea how about running an Atom mass build along side the more 'traditional' mass build?

My second option is the Eager beaver because:

Not many will have built one as it is a newish design, Minimal materials are used which reduces the out lay costs and it has potential to be modified or sized different to the original size.

Rich

Peter Miller's Oodalally. Free plan RCME + wood pack. Make two wing sets and then you have the Grumpy Tiger Cub as well. (Also free plan)

I also think Richard Harris is on to something with a parallel Mass Build that is very much not mainstream but fits all the criteria so the Atom would be perfect.

I'd be interested in an Atom parallel mass build too! Got planes & helis and soon an auto gyro! wink

I nominated the SIG Wonder due to it being very easy & cheap (mine was made almost exclusively from the scrap drawer!) but I think anything quick, cheap & easy would work!

I also like Reg's idea for the 3 catagories for a mass build with different levels of easy involved.

Hi all,this may attract the attention of the inquisition,but,why not use a glider/sailplane design for the 2015 mass build?,a lot of people do not have any interest in power models-of any era-but a glider stirs something in just about everyone!,to keep things simple,may l suggest something along the lines of the Veron Impala?,plans are freely availiable online,no expensive engines(though it will take a power pod),easy build,slope or flat field,whats not to like???

I nominated the Flea Fli again. After it got short listed last year, I built one anyway for electric and it is an absolute peach. Aerobatic but very forgiving, 10 minute flights from a 2200 3S and now I need an excuse to build an IC variant. The model is 39" span, designed in 1968 by Phil Kraft and there is tons of space for modern radio gear and low cost mini servos.

A very simple parallel chord wing and a square box fuselage and all sheet tail surfaces. So - simple enough for a first build although not really suitable for a first model - but - to be honest the mass build is not intended for total newbies as a first ever model - is it? It would make a good second model for someone who has kept their trainer alive for a few months

My other suggestion was the Red Eagle. This is a bit different to what most people have tried - ie - its not a simple sports or aerobatic model. Its a recent free plan and a parts kit is available. The bolt on I suggested was that it could form the basis of a postal comp which was suggested on this forum earlier this year. A one design competition would level the playing field and add a little ongoing interest. Rules etc would be formulated if there is enough interest.

Martyn

Posted by kevin b on 24/09/2014 19:35:03:
Posted by Martyn K on 24/09/2014 17:52:17:

Rules etc would be formulated if there is enough interest.

Martyn

Rules ?

Oh dear ! thumbs down

Only for a flying contest - max run time, target duration , how its scored, flying on a flat field, something to aim for.. That sort of thing...

Martyn

Well there is not much chat being done in this thread wink no negatives about your choices from me, but I have a few I fancy, DD2 obviously I picked it, Eager beaver I could make one of those. The Atom I will make at sometime but the dreaded backorder may play a part in when (head parts). I fancy the Basic 3D as well I have a 52 fs I could use in it, and it would come in handy for club comps and displays.

John

Edited By john stones 1 on 25/09/2014 22:42:43

Simpler than the Bowers Fly Baby is Peter Millers 48in Span ( in old money) Alley Cat. 30 sized 4S IC engine or electric conversion. This was a free plan in Feb 2014 RCMW and the back number is still available with the plan. It is my currant winter build, ( yes. started already!).

Alternatively the late Derek Woodward' s VSP would be a good contender for the mass build. This stands for Very Short Plane and is also a very light/quick model to build. The model is mostly air with a few strips of balsa holding it together (as Derek might have said) and it flies a bit like a Lazy Bee with it's very low wing loading. If you google it you can find a uTube video of it flying too.

The plan is no. MW3431 but is also available as a back number March 2010 Q&EF. There is also a wood pack available for £23, so it wont break the bank. I think I will nominate it in the nominations thread...