Avicraft Panic

Andy Green

Thanks chaps you are an ever amazing font of knowledge. My example is looking decidedly faded but you have given me the will to recover it and get it looking spick and span again. Thanks for all your help and I look forward to getting her in the air again. 40 years old ??? and still solid. Not many ARTF can say that these days, just shows the old ones are the best.heart

Advert

Hi Mike. What power train do you have in your mini Panic. I have a half completed kit but can't decide if I should install an Irvine 20 or maybe the left overs from my re-kitted Wot 4 electric. I rather fancy the I/C but need to find a home for my WOT 4 Foam-e bits.Where did you put the battery box and access flap???.

The power train consists of an Airtek Exel EX/3536/1100/7 brushless outrunner motor, J Perkins EnerG Pro 60A BEC speed controller and a 3S 2200mAh LiPo battery. The prop is 10 x 6 electric. This makes it quite sprightly.

The servos and speed control are accessed from below by removing the lower wing. There is an access hatch for the battery directly below the upper wing.

I'm no expert, but imagine your Irvine 20 would probably be suitable if going down the IC route.

Posted by J D 8 on 10/11/2019 10:22:53:

rNot had one myself but a friend did and used to manoeuvre it had to get the interplane struts to pop off ! laugh They were only fixed on with clothes fasteners.

Edited By J D 8 on 10/11/2019 10:23:15

Yes that's the point, Press studs to hold the and plates on,

Cartwheel it down the runway ,

refit  the wings back onto their seats refit the end plates and go fly again.

No glue needed for the average misshap

Edited By bert baker on 10/11/2019 10:38:21

Avicraft are currently using Perkins to distribute Panic kits so in theory they should be available at a model shop near you. There are some in stock at Avicraft though.

Frantic and Moronic kits are still available through the shop as is the ever popular Mini Panic. They are all cut to order so a simple phone call will secure one.

Andy mentioned parts availability. As the kits are laser cut at the shop, any parts can be cut to order although as the design has evolved over the years there may be detail changes. Best to talk to Robert Newman if you have an ancient but treasured model that needs TLC.

I am not sure if the 'Perkins Panic' uses the same parts as the shop version. I will ask.

Pete

Edited By Broken Prop on 15/11/2019 13:36:09

• 4 weeks later...

panic8.jpgpanic6.jpgpanic5.jpgHi all, can anyone help I picked up this Panic Bipe (or what I thought was a Panic) at Wings and Wheels bring and buy this year, but what actually is it? I have converted it to electric with a Quantum II and 6 cell lipo, it has all foam wings as the original but on close inspection it seems to be a cut and shut, the fuselage is joined in the middle, the tail does not match any Panic I can find pictures of. All the control surfaces match up exactly and appear to be original, the under cart looks like the original Panic as do the struts and wing supports.

Any Ideas anyone?panic3.jpg

Small query. I'm just getting round to finishing one of the Perkins Panic kits. Normal weight, Engine a Asp 75 2 stroke. The finish is partly in transparent film. I am about the start the end of covering, and I might as well stick the registration on the inside of the film. But here (France), each aircraft get a unique number. Hence register it before finishing, if I want to apply the number inside the film.

Registration here, (France), Needs the maximum take off weight, in classes of weights. So I need to know the standard AUW for these things so I know what weight class to stick it in.

Yes Bob 2 planes for the price of one, have yet to fly it, had a job to get the the C of G right as you see by the distance I had to build the motor mount out, did not want to add extra weight to get it right, the auw is 5.6lbs, the wing span is 47in, actual length of the fus from firewall to tail post is 43.5in which looks more than a standard Panic to me, could lead to a hairy first flight, if anyone knows what the standard length of a Panic is please leave a post

Welcome to the forum Robert.

Actually Robert is a member of the same club as myself so I have had a chance to see this actual model ' in the balsa' and it certainly looks a good effort by the previous owner. The rear half of the fuselage looks as though its custom made to fit, not just an odd fuselage grafted on. Possibly a special fuselage rear made to accept a tailplane,rudder and fin from some other design. But it is so well made it also seems possible it was a prototype of a deliberately modified version. There must be somebody around who knows who originally modified the tail end.......

Robert has done his usual neat and workmanlike conversion to electric so I fully expect the test flight to go well - when the weather improves a bit. I hope to be there.