Avicraft Panic

Andy Green

It's worth noting that the tailpost on a normal Panic is at the LE of the tailplane so that is the measurement that should be used to compare fuselage length. So the fuselage itself is not really 9 inches longer on Roberts modified one but perhaps only a couple of inches longer. It's perhaps not as drastic as it seems. The rudder is a long way back but not the tailplane.

Advert

minipanic (4).jpgI've got a Miini Panic, electric which goes well. Thinking of buying a kit and build another one. Have a brand new Parc Amber engine mount ( the red one has a vibe mount also in it). and it one of my spare engines in it.

Have another Panic. MP Anne Winterton's son had this and gave it away, as he didn't fly models any more. A Webra 60 and pipe with slide carb in it.

wintertonpanic.jpg

Edited By Paul Marsh on 22/12/2019 13:28:06

This is a response to Andy Stephenson's query of the 14th Dec. Sorry Andy, I missed that at the time.

Before I posted about the 'Perkins Panic' I asked Rob Newman about the compatability of parts. He confirmed that the planes were kitted using the Avicraft drawings, so repair sections can be cut at the shop.

The drawings used are the current set. Over the years the design has been developed (for instance the change to foam wings and latterly back to a built-up section). My use of the word 'original' was a bit misleading. Sorry about any confusion.

Just to clarify, all of the various modifications have been kept on file, so regardless of which model you have, repair sections can be cut and foam wings can be supplied as there are blanks still available. Just phone Robert to discuss your requirements.

Pete

Edited By Broken Prop on 22/12/2019 13:55:37

Posted by Broken Prop on 22/12/2019 13:43:05:

The drawings used are the current set. Over the years the design has been developed (for instance the change to foam wings and latterly back to a built-up section).

Just picked up on this comment - I was under the impression that foam wings were the original but this has me a little intrigued...

My own Panic - very old, very tatty, very cheap Ebay purchase about 12 - 15 years ago, has built up wings. The OS 91FX that I fitted has failed to pull the fuselage apart so far - testament to the design, not the fuel soaked wood - and it provides immense fun on the days I feel I can put up with comments about its appearance [they tend to dry up when it takes to the air].

Anyway, I did enquire about the wing construction during a call to Avicraft on some unrecalled topic and whoever I spoke to then didn't think that they had ever made built up wings and that someone must have cloned mine. I'm now wondering if I do have an early example rather than a knock-off...can anyone confirm whether they've seen a genuine early one with built up wings?

I think the Panic was the same as the Moronic in wing construction originally. The wing appears to be builtup with ribs but it's actually the cap strips used to veneer the solid foam. The wing is partially veneered - centre is edge to edge and outer parts are LE veneered with 'capstrip' to TE.

Cunning way to save weight and cost of veneer which looks similar to built up!

Thanks all for the info on the measurements, mine is 35.5in to the leading edge off the tail plane, will let you how she performs (or not) when the weather permits

kc, will let you know when I will test her out (Don't forget the string bag for the bits)

Don, the colour scheme is the same on the bottom side

Posted by kc on 22/12/2019 15:29:26:

I think the Panic was the same as the Moronic in wing construction originally. The wing appears to be builtup with ribs but it's actually the cap strips used to veneer the solid foam. The wing is partially veneered - centre is edge to edge and outer parts are LE veneered with 'capstrip' to TE.

Cunning way to save weight and cost of veneer which looks similar to built up!

That's what I understood too but having done some recovering I can confirm there's no foam in the wings.

Bit of a universal Panic query. I am doing a Perkins Panic, without too much Mojo, but I need a hack this size.

It's come to tail skid/steerable tailwheel time. Putting in a steerable tailwheel seems a pain in the backside. Can be done, but I am inclined to think a skid will do with a rudder that size.

Comments?