2015 Mass Build - 1st stage Model List

Martyn K

One week into the voting and 41 wannabee Mass builders have voted. The results so far...

Nominated Model Total
Alley Cat 0
Atom Special 12
Avicraft Panic 3
Basic 3D 6
Beretta 0
Blue Two FunFly 0
Bristol Scout D 1
Can-Do 2
CAP20 0
Clean Sweep 5
DB Tinker 2
Dragon Dancer 2 4
Eager Beaver 1
Flea-Fli 5
Fly-Baby 4
Funfighters 40"-50" span incl DH Mosquito 46 14
Jemima 2
Jocasta 5
Limbo Dancer 4
Marquess 33 0
Miss Lizzie 4
Mustfire 3
Oodalally and Grumpy Tiger 3
Peter Russell Delta 362/363 2
Peter Russell STOL 10
Pietenpol Aircamper 2
Piper Cub (Any) 6
Project X / Chapter One 2
Red Eagle 5
Sig Wonder 5
Super 60 (or derivatives) 0
Tailless Speedy Bee and variants 2
Versatility 0
VSP 2
Whitman Tailwind 0
Whizza 2
Workmaster 0
WOT4 - Plan Version 2

Plenty of time yet to make your mind up... But don't forget to vote (if you intend to take part).. and then don't forget to take part..

If you have had second thoughts and would like to change your mind (men are allowed to do this as well as women - and I wont tell), please PM me..

Posted by Piers Bowlan on 12/10/2014 20:59:15:

Funfighters is not one model design but eight

Eight - which eight?

Apologies if I've missed something in amongst the various chat or nomination threads but I thought "Funfighters" was a generic nomination for any model of that ilk..?

One new nomination - Gentle Lady Glider and clarification on WOT4 to include the plan and kit versions - but not ARTF or foam..

Latest Votes:

Nominated Model Total
Alley Cat 0
Atom Special 15
Avicraft Panic 4
Basic 3D 5
Beretta 0
Blue Two FunFly 0
Bristol Scout D 1
Can-Do 2
CAP20 0
Clean Sweep 5
DB Tinker 2
Dragon Dancer 2 3
Eager Beaver 1
Flea-Fli 5
Fly-Baby 4
Funfighters 40"-50" span incl DH Mosquito 46 16
Gentle Lady 2
Jemima 2
Jocasta 5
Limbo Dancer 4
Marquess 33 0
Miss Lizzie 4
Mustfire 3
Peter Russell STOL 10
Pietenpol Aircamper 2
Piper Cub (Any) 8
Project X / Chapter One 2
Red Eagle 5
Sig Wonder 5
Versatility 0
VSP 2
Whitman Tailwind 0
Whizza 2
Workmaster 0
WOT4 - Plan or Kit Version - not ARTF or Foam 3

Posted by IanN on 17/10/2014 10:53:24:
Posted by Piers Bowlan on 12/10/2014 20:59:15:

Funfighters is not one model design but eight

Eight - which eight?

Apologies if I've missed something in amongst the various chat or nomination threads but I thought "Funfighters" was a generic nomination for any model of that ilk..?

There have been a couple of people who have queried this. IIRC, Funfighter was originally a Cambrian Kit range (initially 2 I think - Spitfire and ME109) back in the 80's. The range grew, but all basically followed the same build methodology so much of the construction style is common within the range.

However, the generic term 'Funfighter' was adopted over the past 20 years to cover almost any semi scale WW2 fighter of about 45" span - note I am not being prescriptive here.

The purpose of the Mass build is to get as many people as possible building models and hopefully documenting the process so that those less experienced or new to building will be encouraged to have a go - either copying what ever other more experienced builders have done and thus benefiting from a 'virtual' skills transfer. While it is helpful that a common model is selected it has to be challenging enough to encourage experienced builders to have a go. I believe that being too prescriptive is not especially beneficial. There has to be a balance somewhere between a free for all and single very basic construction.

I suspect that if the Funfighter is selected, most people will opt for the kit, but there are also a few plan based models of this size - the TN Mossie being a prime example - that may interest others and keep within the spirit of the Mass build. Although this latter model may not be suitable for a beginner, they can still learn techniques that are used by other builders and use them in the model of their choice. The purpose is to get as many people as possible taking part - and we will only get that if the choice of models is attractive and/or challenging enough (either to build or to fly).

Finally - the culmination of the Mass Build (for some) is the RCM&E fly-in at GreenAcres - which really shouldn't be missed. For many of us, the 'Wacky Races' Mass Build Fly-in was the highlight of the weekend this year. Pure lunacy and I think only one model was lost in the Mayhem.

My two-pence - note though, I am only the vote counter, at the end of the day - the final decision will be made by consensus.

M

Martyn and IanN, I was referring to the Cambrian Funfighter range of kits as I thought that was what was being nominated. Currently in the range there is a Spitfire, Hurricane, Me109, and Mustang, all available in electric and IC versions (hence the eight). Plus, a new out FW190 is now available too. As for the TN DH Mosquito 46in 'not being suitable for a beginner', is any funfighter suitable for a beginner?! Anyway, I agree Martyn, the more that join in the better. It doesn't matter what you build, just build something!

Fifty Wannabe Mass builders have voted and the results so far:

Nominated Model Total
Alley Cat 0
Atom Special 23
Avicraft Panic 4
Basic 3D 5
Beretta 0
Blue Two FunFly 0
Bristol Scout D 1
Can-Do 2
CAP20 0
Clean Sweep 6
DB Tinker 2
Dragon Dancer 2 3
Eager Beaver 1
Flea-Fli 6
Fly-Baby 4
Funfighters 40"-50" span incl DH Mosquito 46 24
Gentle Lady 2
Jemima 2
Jocasta 5
Limbo Dancer 4
Marquess 33 0
Miss Lizzie 5
Mustfire 4
Peter Russell STOL 10
Pietenpol Aircamper 2
Piper Cub (Any) 8
Project X / Chapter One 3
Red Eagle 5
Sig Wonder 5
Versatility 0
VSP 2
Whitman Tailwind 0
Whizza 2
Workmaster 0

We have two clear leaders and after that, its anyone's guess. I am a bit surprised that there hasn't been more votes for Project X/Chapter One - especially as it was this months free plan.

Votes on the Voting thread ple

Martyn I may have missed this being mentioned, but it appears no one has thought about what is an obvious candidate for the fun fighter genre, well to me at least.

The Tony Nijhuis 46" spitfire for .25 ic 2 stroke or electric, designed with the Cambrian funfighters in mind and essentially a scale up of one of the dog fight double series, which are also possible candidates for the genre

So assuming the funfighters win guess where some of my hard earned cash is of to??  just over 200 of my british pounds surprise if I go electric though a nice .25 ic sounds tempting as does a 30/35 fs.

Edited By Phil Winks on 23/10/2014 19:45:12

Happy Friday everyone - the voting so far and the Atom Special moves into the lead - Richard Harris will be ecstatic

Nominated Model Total
Alley Cat 0
Atom Special 29
Avicraft Panic 4
Basic 3D 5
Beretta 0
Blue Two FunFly 0
Bristol Scout D 1
Can-Do 2
CAP20 0
Clean Sweep 10
DB Tinker 2
Dragon Dancer 2 3
Eager Beaver 1
Flea-Fli 6
Fly-Baby 4
Funfighters 40"-50" span incl DH Mosquito 46 25
Gentle Lady 2
Jemima 2
Jocasta 7
Limbo Dancer 5
Marquess 33 0
Miss Lizzie 5
Mustfire 4
Peter Russell STOL 10
Pietenpol Aircamper 2
Piper Cub (Any) 8
Red Eagle 5
Sig Wonder 5
Super 60 (or derivatives) 1
Versatility 0
VSP 2
Whitman Tailwind 0
Whizza 2
Workmaster 0

Remember, don't vote here - please vote on the voting thread

Hi Ian

A very good question and at this stage, I don't know the answer. I'll need to speak to BEB about that and we'll take a consensus on whether another round is required. Leave it for another week or so - in the meantime, the Piper Cub would make a good open structure traditional build - if you fancy that get your votes in..

Phil - TN Spitfire 46 - I agree - I think it falls within the scope of a funfighter - others may disagree though.

Best wishes

Martyn

• 2 weeks later...

This has gone a bit quiet. We have now had 58 wanabee mass builders so far - which is about 15% down on the usual numbers at this stage. The voting so far:

Nominated Model Total
Alley Cat 0
Atom Special 29
Avicraft Panic 4
Basic 3D 5
Beretta 0
Blue Two FunFly 0
Bristol Scout D 1
Can-Do 2
CAP20 0
Clean Sweep 10
DB Tinker 2
Dragon Dancer 2 3
Eager Beaver 1
Flea-Fli 6
Fly-Baby 5
Funfighters 40"-50" span incl DH Mosquito 46 25
Gentle Lady 2
Jemima 2
Jocasta 9
Limbo Dancer 5
Marquess 33 0
Miss Lizzie 5
Mustfire 4
Peter Russell STOL 10
Pietenpol Aircamper 2
Piper Cub (Any) 10
Red Eagle 5
Sig Wonder 5
Super 60 (or derivatives) 1
Versatility 0
VSP 2
Whitman Tailwind 0
Whizza 2
Workmaster 0
WOT4 - Plan or Kit Version - not ARTF or Foam

...continued

Interesting that some of the nominated models have had zero votes - I would have expected the nominees to have voted for their own nomination..

I'll keep this running for a few more days and then have a chat with the 'management' about the next stage. Its not to late to vote though - or even nominate another model as peeps can change their minds if needed.

Vote on this thread HERE

BW

Martyn

Posted by Martyn K on 03/11/2014 12:05:44:

...continued

Interesting that some of the nominated models have had zero votes - I would have expected the nominees to have voted for their own nomination..

I'll keep this running for a few more days and then have a chat with the 'management' about the next stage. Its not to late to vote though - or even nominate another model as peeps can change their minds if needed.

Vote on this thread HERE

BW

Martyn

Martyn,

I'm one of those who didn't vote for my nomination. I unwittingly committed the cardinal sin of giving a brief description of my nomination in the Nomination Thread instead of the Nomination Chat Thread. I was not alone several others did the same. This solicited what I thought was a rather condescending comment from another Forum member directed at those of us unable to follow simple rules.

At that point I rather lost interest in the whole process. Just too many rules for me I'm afraid.

Does that mean that the voting count for funfighters will be divided by 8 to get a true figure compared with the rest ?

If not it would hardly be fair. You may as well say a " Boddington design", or a Keilkraft plan. I thought the idea was to reduce the variation this year !

crook

I am with kevin b on this one. However you look at it, the funfighter is a generic item and therefore skews the vote. All the other options are for specific planes (except Oodalally / Grumpy Tiger, but that is basically a single or twin version). Clearly there is a lot of support for fun fighters but hopefully the second round will restore some balance (BEB's secret weapon) and there will be an alternative. Personally I have no interest in warplanes, mainly because they are done to death (pardon the expression) and there are so many more interesting subjects in civil aviation and GA.

Posted by Phil Winks on 08/11/2014 16:10:48:

Given that the different fun fighters are pretty much the same construction I don't see why there should be any watering down of the results for them, If they're chosen the builders will all be pretty much following the same processes no matter if its a spit or messerschmitt

I don't disagree with the argument. However the generic "funfighter" is a theme rather than a specific. A lot of the DB models are built the same way, or are variations of a type. Similarly Keilkraft kits were.

Also, the Atom Special is not exactly what you would expect a novice builder to build, bearing in mind they would be looking for something with predictable flying characteristics. An excellent model, but I would have thought more for the experienced builder, who fancied something different. It's interesting that the models you would consider to be at the bottom end of the skill level are those with the fewer votes.

P.S. I didn't make the rules and I don't envy those who did !

Kev while I must accept your argument on the fun fighter genre as totally valid, I must point out this mass build is about encouraging those who have never scratch built, not necessarily newbies to the sport, and from what I've seen any pilot who is at, or is close to 'A' standard should be able to master the Atom reasonably quickly. after all 2 years ago we built the NH Tucano more of a 'B' schedule bird than an 'A'