2015 Mass Build - 1st stage Model List

Martyn K

Posted by Craig thomas 1 on 09/11/2014 21:06:00:

Hi guys. Would this be a good place to start if your new to scratch building? I've never build a model before. Only artf models till now. Really want to have a bash at this side of the hobby but from reading the posts you've all done this before. Would I be a little out of my depth here?

Craig the whole point, as I understand it, of this mass build is to encourage people just like yourself to get stuck in and have a go at, what for many is, the fun side of the hobby and scratch build something, those of us who have done this before tend to lead the way, by detailing our builds in various blogs, allowing the newbies, for want of a better phrase, to follow our lead. The plus side, as I see it, this year is that many of us more experienced builders will, once the build is complete become beginners again, as a lot of us, I for one, have never flown what, looks likely to become the chosen model type, aka an autogyro. Win Win you might say

Edited By Phil Winks on 09/11/2014 21:20:02

Posted by Craig thomas 1 on 09/11/2014 21:24:08:

That's great. I'll be filling this thread with great intent. What is the model likely to be? Any ideas? And where will I get a copy of the plans from? Can I purchase the chosen plans online

If you go back a page there is a list of the nominated models and their current standing in the voting stakes, currently the Atom Autogyro looks to be out by a head this was actually a free plan in the mag special a couple of months ago but is I'm guessing available from "myhobbystore" plans service, that said if it is chosen then people like my self who already have the plan may well be able to get a copy to you FOC, I certainly would as I'll be having the original plan copied for building purposes any way and I do get them done free gratis within reason

You may already have this sussed but it helps to click the "send me email notifications box" just below as you post a reply, also May I emplore you to make your profile public so that if required people can send you a private message

I had a vote this evening. Although the atom looks very interesting, I've not been flying that long and would like to have a bash at building a conventional plane as apposed to a type of helicopter. I do understand the veterans of building would like to have a go at something different, for me conventional planes are the at to go.

Hi all

Apologies for them lack of focus these last few days. We are in the final stages of having a large extension built and I spent the last week fitting and painting - 240sq metres and it needs at least one more coat I hate painting...

I did say that we would run the 1st round vote for a few extra days. Not sure if you saw that the 2015 MB had a mention in this months RCM&E so I wanted to give those who only occasionally visit here a chance, It would be a bit tough if we lost some newcomers by rushing this.

However, I will have a chat with the "management" (aka BEB) about the next stage. In the meantime, please keep voting

Martyn

OK folks.

End of Round 1 - thanks for being patient.

The final votes are:

Nominated Model Total
Alley Cat 0
Atom Special 32
Avicraft Panic 4
Basic 3D 5
Beretta 0
Blue Two FunFly 0
Bristol Scout D 1
Can-Do 2
CAP20 0
Clean Sweep 10
DB Tinker 4
Dragon Dancer 2 3
Eager Beaver 1
Flea-Fli 6
Fly-Baby 5
Funfighters 40"-50" span incl DH Mosquito 46 29
Gentle Lady 2
Jemima 2
Jocasta 9
Limbo Dancer 5
Marquess 33 0
Miss Lizzie 5
Mustfire 4
Oodalally and Grumpy Tiger 3
Peter Russell Delta 362/363 2
Peter Russell STOL 10
Pietenpol Aircamper 2
Piper Cub (Any) 11
Project X / Chapter One 3
Red Eagle 5
Sig Wonder 5
Super 60 (or derivatives) 1
Tailless Speedy Bee and variants 2
Versatility 0
VSP 2
Whitman Tailwind 2
Whizza 2
Workmaster 0
WOT4 - Plan or Kit Version - not ARTF or Foamy

Edited By Martyn K on

continued...

I am a bit disappointed that only 63 have signed up so far. The Chippie build may have dragged one or two regulars away but lets make up for that with an enthusiastic MB for 2015.

I don't think there is any point in having a second round vote for the top two - the Atom and The Funfighter, these are way out in front.

However, neither of these are really 'traditional' builds but will be a lot of fun.

The next 3 choices, but with only a handful of votes each were the STOL, an undefined Piper Cub and the Jocasta.

All these three could be considered a traditional build. My personal thoughts are that of these three models, the Jocasta is probably the most suitable as it has been a recent free plan and a CNC and parts woodpacks are available at reasonable cost. The Jocasta had the highest number of 1st choice votes from the next 4 models in the list

Therefore, unless anyone really wants to object, I am going to recommend that the three models for the 2015 MB are:

1. RCM&E Atom - featured in the 2014 Autumn Special and the woodpack is currently on Special Offer

2, Funfighters. I have spoken to Cambrian Models and they will support the Mass Build by Offering a 10% discount for Web Orders. You will need to quote rcbuild15 discount code when you place the order. Steve is stocking up - stocks are currently low but should be sufficient by December. Others may wish to build model from the TN range of similar sized models - feel free to do so.

3. Jocasta - The plan was free in a recent (October2014) RCM&E but can be purchased online from MHS. You can also order a CNC parts kit while you are there.

Hope that is OK. Please support this, I would love to see a really good turn out for next years Greenacres Fly-in.

Now I'll try and find a champion for each build who will provide the necessary guidance for each of the build threads. Post your blogs in this forum please - and enjoy yourselves.

Best wishes

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 16/11/2014 21:02:38

Well I don't really want to object but from that final list none of the 3 could be classed as a traditional build. Nor any to get a scale modeller, new or old fired up. As mainly a traditional scale modeller, the scale option is quite limited on just how far you can take it detail wise.

Ian.

Not sure I understand the logic in choosing Jocasta although a very pretty model, when the scores recorded are less than three other models Piper Cub, Clean Sweep and Stol. Seems little point in a scoring system if we ignore it. I'm with Reg I'm afraid when it comes to the traditional build element, the concept seems to have drifted. It will be interesting to see how many get built.

Curiously I was losing interest until Jocasta was thrown in. I can see it will appeal to many inexperienced builders and also those of us who could do with another (spare) trainer. The thought of another Piper Cub would send me to sleep !

Let's hope I have the time to build it.

yes

Are we missing the point of the MB here? I thought the idea was to get people into building from plans or a kit instead of just buying an ARTF. I am a newcomer to building and with a couple of scale/semi scale plan builds on the go have started an Atom Special too. This is fun and a bit of light relief and I am learning from the Atom thread that will help me with the other builds and is getting the old brainbox working. Whilst I would absolutely love to build something to compare with Reg's incredible standard, I'm not sure that I will ever reach that but my interest still lies in scale jobbies. Also, the idea of flying the gyro will hopefully broaden my flying skills, I have yet to acquire an 'A', I'm a relative newbie as regards that too and hopefully not to far off but am absolutely smitten with all this RC stuff. It could all end up in tears but at least I will have tried! And I guess that I will have acquired the skills to repair!

I don't get the logic either. We have a vote, then ignore it and then we re-set the rules. I think Richard Harris's Atom Special is a deserving winner and has caught the attention of many people as an encouragement to do something a bit different. There is no doubt in my mind that the "Funfighters" is a skewed vote because it is not one aircraft but seems to be a significantly large genre. There is no doubt of the popularity of the type so it should go through because it is (according to the skewed rules) a clear runner up. The Piper Cub is in third place so it should be going through and as Ian said, it would have appeal for the scale builders. If there were going to be three winners according to votes then job done. The STOL tied with the Clean Sweep but where is the formula that said one or the other had more first round votes and then out of the blue comes Jocasta which drives a bus through the basic principle of a democratic vote? To further muddy the waters we are reminded there is a free plan and woodpack. Where did that ever appear in the voting criteria?

I must admit to being a little disappointed with the mass build when I went to Greenacres last year. Amazing event but I think I saw maybe two more pushy cats there, and not even sure if more than one other than mine flew in the slot. The Dawn flyers were fun, but there was not a huge amount of them either on the Sat. I remember seeing photos of the Webbits and that was my idea of a mass build. Maybe choosing multiple models is watering it down too much. You don't have to build one, but it would be more fun if there were more of the same type.

Just my thoughts.

Simon

Whilst I agree with Simon that too much choice dilutes the idea and it would be great to just have one to chose from, the other side of the mass build states that the intention is to get as many folks involved as possible. For me, any model I build has to have a purpose or use for me afterwards, not just one to build to join in, as this takes time, space and more importantly funds away from the other things I want to build or am building. You are never going to enthuse the masses by having just one model, type or style of model. A decent scale choice would tick so many boxes for lots of folk, they could spend as much or as little time putting as much or as little work into it as they wanted to, try or learn different tricks or ideas. I fully appreciate the fact that not everyone that wants to join in wants a scale masterpiece, nor should they have to, but it'd be nice offer something to tempt a few more to go towards that if that's what they fancy. That said, they still could but it wouldn't be part of the Mass Build so if that's the Gaffers decision made then so be it.

Ian.