What is a 4 stoke?

Martin Harris - Moderator

Thanks to the last 3 posters (and one or two earlier) who have appreciated what I'm looking for. From the responses so far it seems no-one is claiming the deliberate use of the term "stoke" and despite what I felt was an unusually common error which could have been construed as a play on words, this wasn't the case either.

Unless there are any responses to the contrary, I'd guess it just comes down to the proximity of the T and R keys on a qwerty keyboard...

P.S. PN, You're not wrong in your observations!

Edited By Martin Harris on 17/10/2014 11:13:17

Advert

The term 4-stoke is actually a historical reference. Back in the days of the great American railway pioneers, native Americans would be employed as firemen on board the steam locomotives. Because these workers were unused to the high speeds attained on the railways, they quickly became travel sick and unable to continue in their tasks, such that their hardiness became measured by the length of time they could continue working before needing a rest, hence you might find that you had a 2-stoke injun or a 4-stoke injun....

Martin,

I think the adjacent lettes on the keyboard is cetainly par of the reaon, but not the whoe story, othewise w'd see missing lettrs much mor often.

I think errors in certain combinations of letters are difficult to spot by eye when proofreading, which then explains why the error is not detected. This is obviously a function of the font type in print, but in this instance, the gap between the 't' and the 'o' sort of resembles the shape of an 'r' (try defocussing your eyes) so the brain 'fills in' the missing information.

TWS

It's all perfectly simple. On buying a shiny new engine one takes it from the box a give it a couple of affectionate strokes before putting it away. As the so called 4 stroke is more desirable and valuable one gives it four strokes before putting it back in the box.

Electric motors just get thrown in the corner

Stoke is in Staffordshire.

TBH until you pointed it out I had not noticed this common typo and had been reading Stoke as Stroke. Now you have given me something else which will annoy me in future.

Edited By Mr.B. on 17/10/2014 13:47:11

Posted by Jim Newberry on 17/10/2014 11:25:30:

The term 4-stoke is actually a historical reference. Back in the days of the great American railway pioneers, native Americans would be employed as firemen on board the steam locomotives. Because these workers were unused to the high speeds attained on the railways, they quickly became travel sick and unable to continue in their tasks, such that their hardiness became measured by the length of time they could continue working before needing a rest, hence you might find that you had a 2-stoke injun or a 4-stoke injun....

Groan!!! crying Brilliant.

Mr. B - You're absolutely correct in your definition - and glad to be of service!

It's looking that way Gerhard*, but it might have been a play on words - as in stoking the fire - along the lines of one of my favourites, electrickery but no-one has claimed to use it deliberately.

*I think I have your name right - I can't really refer to you as "Old", can I?

Edited By Martin Harris on 17/10/2014 17:02:38

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno’t mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghi t pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt! if you can raed tihs forwrad it.

Makes perfect sense to me....smile

Pete

'Stoke'. Yes, common typing error - usually caused by predictive text (unless you are a steam train driver).

But why do some people find spelling errors so galling? You see it on so many forums, somebody makes an interesting point or comes up with an original idea perhaps, but makes the odd typo or incorrect spelling. So often there is someone else who, it seems, takes great delight in pointing out the error while ignoring the substance of the original post. If we all understand what someone is trying to say does it matter how a word is spelt?

Posted by Piers Bowlan on 18/10/2014 06:59:34:

'Stoke'. Yes, common typing error - usually caused by predictive text (unless you are a steam train driver).

But why do some people find spelling errors so galling? You see it on so many forums, somebody makes an interesting point or comes up with an original idea perhaps, but makes the odd typo or incorrect spelling. So often there is someone else who, it seems, takes great delight in pointing out the error while ignoring the substance of the original post. If we all understand what someone is trying to say does it matter how a word is spelt?

I suppose it's how tough the English teacher was? I like to get the spelling correct.

Edited By cymaz on 18/10/2014 07:18:09

Edited By cymaz on 18/10/2014 07:19:04