Signal Loss with Spektrum?

ben goodfellow  1

Could it be the signal propogation in relationship to the model, in Andy48's case each was close and low (he doesnt say but I am assuming either landing or a low pass in front of the flight line), as we tend to hold the TX on a slanted upwards say 30 degrees from horizontal,  if the bendy bit of the aerial was set at 90 degrees that would put the model close to the dreaded donut....

I see these reports from DX6's and Dx8, but I cant recall seeing one from a DX9 (correct me if I am wrong)

I am wondering if the dual aerial on the DX9 and DX18 eliminates the "donut" problem?

Edited By Dave Hopkin on 06/01/2015 19:44:13

Advert

You are probably right Dave, the circumstances are as you described. However, the telemetry showed no brownouts. It is also interesting that we would appear to have microwave interference in the parts of the field where the problem occurred (it also affected 35MHz sets too). Possibly a combination of both.

It will be interesting to see how the Taranis copes with it. Time will tell.

I think we get that microwave interference at Hough End, near the Police Dog Centre... I assume they have a mocrowave transciever there. a couple of planes have been lost in that corner, and I had a LOS round that area on Sunday, thankfully I was as about 200' so although it was a bit of a "brown trouser" moment it recovered afetr a couple of seconds and responded again...

The symptoms were flying the short leg of the circuit about to turn into the down wind leg at about 100 yds, applied rudder and aileron, nothing, no roll no yaw, increased rudder (in case it was trying to weather cock) nothing, then abrubtly yawed into the circuit and dived (rudder acting as down elevator of course) recovered and continued, totally normally but I decided to land quite quickly though!

I can only put that down to LOS and a in flight rebind.

yes , i also noticed a pattern of close in .low flying ,in particular when coming into land seems to be most common. its all fine when valuable planes are being lost . what do hh say when los of signal cause a real bad accident and higher authorities get involved and ,independant testing of equipment becomes involved....

Edited By ben goodfellow 1 on 06/01/2015 21:57:25

Posted by ben goodfellow 1 on 06/01/2015 21:56:53:

yes , i also noticed a pattern of close in .low flying ,in particular when coming into land seems to be most common. its all fine when valuable planes are being lost . what do hh say when los of signal cause a real bad accident and higher authorities get involved and ,independant testing of equipment becomes involved....

Edited By ben goodfellow 1 on 06/01/2015 21:57:25

LOS isnt necessarily the manufacturers fault, other makes have it too there are many causes that are extranious to the TX/RX, you see more cases with Spektrum because its one of the most popular

In any case unless you could prove there was a systemic manufacturing fault that the manufacturer was aware of and didnt take appropriate action to cure (with perhaps a recall) then the fine print on all radio sets will cover their bums.....

Good point Ben, there's definitely a pattern there. As I mentioned earlier here they replaced my RF board in my DX18QQ when new out of the box, as they have done in many other modeller's Tx's across the range, .... either to repair a' fault' or for 'peace of mind' .... I look forwards to your report ......

Posted by Steve Colman on 06/01/2015 20:26:57:

Just to add,

All three of my mishaps were low to the ground within close range just after take off or on final approach to land as in the posts above.

If Horizon cannot find any issues, even after full testing, and you have used DSM2 and DSMX and all of your mishaps have occurred in the same range - just after take off and just upon landing, is this not the range where accidents are most likely to occur, stalls, blustery wind etc?

Could it be that you have simply been quite unlucky and stoofed in your planes due to these events rather than any kind of radio issue?

I don't think we need to be worrying too much about Freznel Zones at our wavelength. However, the fact that all of these issues seem to be occurring at short range probably rules out Tx antenna orientation, Rx antenna placement and quality of diversity from different Rx antenna combinations - there will be plenty of power.

Although I want to agree with John F, we are talking about incidents seen by experienced flyers who (a) know what a stall is and (b) are probably well used to putting their hand up when they have a "moment"

I am lucky in that my incident proved to be my fault (broken connector) even though I was convinced it was radio until I eventually found the cause. By the look of Ben's photo, the fault may never be found!

Posted by bert baker on 07/01/2015 09:56:54:

How much does it cost to have a receiver tested / service ??????

Spektrum 700

If you've got a concern about it, Bert, stick it in the post to HH with a covering note. Experience of most folk is that they'll test and return - possibly even replace - FOC.

Pete

Posted by Masher on 07/01/2015 09:48:31:

Although I want to agree with John F, we are talking about incidents seen by experienced flyers who (a) know what a stall is and (b) are probably well used to putting their hand up when they have a "moment"

I am lucky in that my incident proved to be my fault (broken connector) even though I was convinced it was radio until I eventually found the cause. By the look of Ben's photo, the fault may never be found!

Even some experienced flyers would be reluctant to admit any kind of random event; some insist upon radio glitches rather than their own work, be that radio installation and setup, flying etc.

Some videos on YouTube are interesting, I cannot send the links on my work computer but some who claim radio glitch, a few famous Spektrum ones, are quite clearly something other than a radio issue. One aircraft was inverted yet the vid clearly shows the pilot putting in full up elevator!

People may be experienced but experienced (and impartial) investigators and assessors we may not be when it comes to the demise of our own aircraft.

Edited By John F on 07/01/2015 10:31:30

If you google any issue you will find many such instances, such as "steering loss fiesta", would leave you to believe Ford have built and sold a dangerous wreck.

Googling any issue will always reveal a hundred hits which will give what could be a false impression. It is taking the issue into context and adding the factor that the user could be incorrect in their assumption over what the problem was which is important.