Signal Loss with Spektrum?

ben goodfellow  1

Yes I sent it the best I could . Royal Mail hand deliver job insured to 1000 pound as It was tx and Rx . They have it spoke to them . Now this is factual what I was told on the phone " it's been looked at nothing wrong " that was Monday I then very politely told the man I spoke to (are we allowed to put names on here) that I wasn't best happy and know of people who have used the word court before . It then changed to " it's still being tested so I can't tell you out" that was Tuesday I think ,and I've heard nothing since ... Make your own mind up....

I find this really strange the two times I have had to deal with HH over a TX issue both times were dealt with very quickly and very effciently - the first time was a simple switch I broke - they posted me a switch by return, the second time I wanted it checked over and they turned it round (with an RX fault they repaired) within 3 days

I cant answer for HH - But when I phoned about the switches (expecting them to say "send it in" I was transferred straight through to a techie and he offered me the choice of sending it in, or if I fancied the soldering then they would send me the switch - all very effecient, painless and cheap

I too have had very good service from HH on more than one occasion. I am sorry for your loss Ben but if HH can't find a fault with your gear then they can't find a fault. In the world of full sized aviation if an in-flight fault is reported, engineers carry out tests but then if the fault cannot be reproduced on the ground the tech log is written up as 'Ground tested, no fault found. Report further!' You can't blame the engineers for not finding the fault as the fault may not exist at present. That is, until the Rx is subjected to vibration in flight, for example, or RF interference from your engine ignition system perhaps. A replacement Rx may be a good move to restore confidence - or a different brand of radio altogether, but no RC system is infallible. Even military drones go AWOL sometimes and they cost a LOT!

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 15/01/2015 17:16:06

I am sorry Ben, but this is turning into an anti-spektrum rant - every other brand of Radio has the same issues - and 99% of the time its either Pilot Erro or an environmental problem not a TX.RX issue

Spektrum get report more often because they are probably the most common system and a lot of newbies use spektrum (as they are supplied with a lot of RTF) so statistically there should be more Spekky reports and given the higher percentage of newbies using them an even higher rate

I am sorry for the loss of your planes and given your loos of confidence in Spektrum it might be an idea to switch brands - for me more than happy with the Spekky and the service (I actually think it compares as well if not better with my Robbe Navy F-18 as far as look, feel, reliability and ease of use

I'm not anti Spektrum thats why i have a 18 qq and 60+rxs i just want them to work ,.or be told why they dont ......the simple fact is they have far more than there fair share of problems and im not prepared to sweep under the rug... and thats what im high lighting . you simply dontl ike it cos you use them,, brand loyalty

Edited By ben goodfellow 1 on 15/01/2015 18:33:59

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 15/01/2015 22:47:55

And you have empirical evidence to show they have "more than thier fair share" ?

If your concern if safety, then why has the last couple of pages been about you slating HH's customer service? Thats hardly a saftey issue is it?

Yes I use them, I also use Robbe and I have seen my fair share of mystery radio fails with them too, most of them pretty easy to diagnose as being installation/usage/environmental issues

Perhaps they have somebody off sick or something and it is taking a bit longer than usual, or perhaps they are waiting for a new RF board to be sent over from Germany etc, etc...

I would give them the benefit of the doubt and wait and see if it turns up by next Monday.

My own DX6i had a range problem a couple of years ago and I only just noticed it as the range test was marginal, I sent it to them, they replaced the RF board, it took about a week to get it back.

I wonder if RF board failures are down to supply problems with the IC chips that they use, perhaps there have been bad batches or even counterfeit components have got in to the supply chain that they can't identify - it can and does happen, but this is all speculation because a company would never admit to that in an unregulated industry (unlike Automotive).

Right chaps, time-out called! Whatever is at the bottom of this, whatever the cause, whatever you think the fault is, its not going to be solved by us being rude to one another! So can I ask that all parties cool down a little bit please. We don't do anger directed at each other on this forum! So let's just have a little more civility - for example no more capitals etc!

Also can I draw everyone's attention to this posting. I must emphasise that the guidelines outlined there must be respected in all posts. The making of unsubstantiated allegations against companies or individuals based on opinion or personal interpretation rather than evidence is not permitted on here. I have had to edit one post already - let there not be anymore instances of that please.

Thanks

BEB

I have an issue with some DSM2 users rather than with DSM2 itself, which could potentially cause trouble:
Every weekend I see DSM2 flyers arrive at the flight line, they kneel down to tend their models and place their transmitter down flat on the grass. Presumably this is for safety, so the tx cant fall over & open the throttle.
They then switch on the tx and from a position flat on the ground surrounded by damp grass the tx looks for a couple of free channels. From down there, all it will be able to hear is other RC transmitters in the immediate vicinity. It wont hear the things its designed to avoid, like distant video transmitters, beacons, repeaters and other ISM band hash because its aerial is right down at ground level in the damp grass. I've suggested they switch on at least at waist height, but they dont take any notice!
Cheers
Phil

Posted by bert baker on 04/01/2015 14:46:45:
Posted by Chris Bott - Moderator on 04/01/2015 14:40:59:

Ben, I don't think this will answer anything, but when I used to use Spektrum, some models would deflect surfaces at the moment of Rx switch on. They would then settle at neutral when the Tx and Rx were speaking to each other properly.

If you switch on your Tx, then your Rx, does the elevator blip down and then back to neutral?

Once everything has been set up you need to rebind to stop the above happening

Stops the retracts collapsing when switching on the model

A big thanks Bert.

As someone with limited experience of RC I didn't know that and my new Roc-Hobby V-tail sent the flaps into full-down mode when I connected the RX and then return to normal. After completing my set-up I have now re-binded my model (re-bound ?) and it doesn't do it anymore.

We never stop learning do we.

Edited By Bugbear on 16/01/2015 08:36:38

Hear! Hear! Phil. I too have seen this many many times and posted about it as well as talking about it. I've also seen the initial switch on of the Tx done in cars(nicely screened from a large amount of 2.4gHz signal)! But, as you say does anyone take any notice, NAH, NO CHANCE, NADA. After all what do I know they believe the technology takes care of absolutely everything until things go wrong and then its the technology that gets the blame.

Another DSM2 thing too (so not you Ben), some folk swear that it takes an age to reconnect after a lost connection.

They then proceed to prove this by switching the Tx off and on again.

This test, of course, only proves how long it takes the Tx to search the band, decide on it's two frequencies and finally power the RF.

The proper test would be to switch the Rx off and on again.

since the first early days of 2.4...its been put over/assumed that radio problems were going to be a thing of the past......fair enough the problem of someone switching on and nabbing someone else's frequency is over-but as with all things 2.4 is not 100% infallible/reliable- I've seen other models go in/crash that were on 2.4 for no reason.....and left people scratching there heads.............. and our club site(BVRMC)...has an electric transformer up on a pole not to far away from our strip and our site is liable to hold water like a swamp after its been raining and in the good old 35mhz days I and others used to have glitches galore in a corner of the field adjacent to the pole....... more so when it had been raining........and not so long ago I was loosing the signal with one of my 2.4 p/cats..the one covered in chrome profilm......when I flew over some metal containers at our site-I asked around and was told that the signal would be going to the container's...bouncing off....before the model....its a nightmare trying to find out the cause even more so when a model go's the journey.....but thinking back to 35mhz...it was a common occurrence...and accepted to an extent .... as part of the hobby...

ken Anderson...ne...1.........my view dept.