Signal Loss with Spektrum?

ben goodfellow  1

The power caps work well with RC Cars. We used to have problems with different make RX's cutting dead when accelerating but with power caps it's eliminated the problem. Of course the problem also went away when using better/more expensive ESC's too!

Still wouldn't use one in the air though. I've always used 6v RX packs for my Spektrum stuff & not had any problems yet.

Advert

no luck at all. ill also add that they never sent my rx back to me , when asked why not they said they have no record of having it ,, funny thing is i have in the form of emails , i can easily share the name of the contact ive been dealing with and the emails where here contradicts himself .. also ive already talked to others with problems with this tx ... good enough ..really?? .. john i do fancy a boat.....

I've had 3 models recently that have literally fallen out of the sky for no apparent reason. Sick to the stomach.

All setups and procedures were perfect before flight. Just fedup now of repairing and cost of replacement.

I'm going back to....dare I say it.....control line stunt, electric power and control.....after 60 yrs away.

No more brown outs, no more wondering what the Tx, Rx, problems were....peace.

All mistakes from here on in will be pilot error.....might even try a wing over or two....hahaha.

jonno75 from Oz

I am not anti spektrum here by any means, back in the late 90's to 2000 ish we used futaba challenger radios and then, when i could afford it, a JR3810, this was a fine bit of quality radio, albeit at the time on 35 meg. I then started again a few years ago after a fairly long lay off from the hobby and bought a spektrum dx6i and phoenix flight simulator, the radio, although budget priced, worked without any problems for 2 years until i was fortunate to purchase a model with a DX8, once again the DX8 was built well (to my eyes anyhow), functioned properly and handled pretty good.

Anyhow, i decided to take the plunge into getting the DX18 stealth, since all my models are either UMX or larger, all of which are fitted with spektrum rx's including a powersafe one also, and on arrival of the dx18 stealth, instantly disapointed with the fact that the left hand trim switch (the one next to the speaker) would slide down fine but not upwards!) It would work, but you really had to shove it hard for it to register. On a £100 tx i would probably not be too bothered but on a £650 one that i have earnt through blood, sweat and tears, not happy! Anyhow, got replacement sent out and courier driver did a swap of the boxes. Great i thought! Opened the box and this tx had exactly the same problem with the left hand trim switch that doesnt sit central in the recess! Oh bother, anyhow, rather than cause anymore grief with my LMS i decided to keep it and program in all my models, only to be told now that it will have to go back to horizon due to the wrong (usa) unit being in the radio.

Maybe not just me having bad luck with spektrum?

Marc

Also forgot to add in the last post that i was also unfortunate enough to have a brand new powersafe switch fail on me, luckily they fail in the ON position. Opened it up and found one of the wires had literally fallen off of the switch posts.. Once again, like the dx18 radio, I have been told that i am the only person in the world to ever have that happen and once again, i am apparently just unlucky....

Makes you wonder how fast they are producing these units....

Marc

Posted by orakal-1 on 30/05/2015 08:30:49:

No more brown outs, no more wondering what the Tx, Rx, problems were....peace.

If your RX power supply is not up to scratch, every manufacturers' RX will brown out. Draw excessive current and voltage will drop - physics is physics, no brand is immune.

Look to see where they were made then .....and where they are made now.........

Also the price we paid then and now.

Everyone assumes that if they pay many hundreds of pounds for a Tx it must be better quality than a cheap Tx, but maybe they are much the same inside! The difference is the cheaps ones are sold in huge quantities and any problems are quickly found. The expensive ones sell in much smaller quantities.

RIGHT YOUS WILL LOVE THIS..and i cant wait for the ideas of whats happened .just been along gbeach . with my brand new DX18 so had a wonderful first flight with my carbon z yak , landed very happy ,had a crack for 5 then decided to fly again , was flying for 3 mins , then went from left to right in front of my self approx 10meters out and 10m up when i went to turn left ...nothing plane was a full throttle (electric) with a slight left roll and slight down elevator . i had bound it mins before . it went straight into the dunes and was destroyed .. it didnt stall it didnt go into failsafe it wasnt dumb thumb. my friend was stood right next to me and watched the 4/5 second flight into the duners with me . ,the tx was set up off my sd card before binding . it didnt even go into failsafe ,, boiling is not the word....i will not be using spektrum again

look listen to what im saying ,,,the tx was set up of my sd card so every thing was the correct way , then it was bound , then i flew it . then it crashed .. it wasnt a brown oput the motor was at full or very near to it it wasnt dumb thumb . it didnt go into failsafe , it was the same problem the hundreds of othe spektrum users have had . there is a thread running on the face book where there is more freedom of speech . have a look and there s more bad than good being said

https://www.facebook.com/groups/20194392275/10153409712652276/?notif_t=group_comment

I take it you tested the failsafe by running up the motor and switching off the Tx, before committing to flight Ben?

Different Spektrum receivers have different failsafe options.
Some remove the throttle signal, some can be set to hold last stick position or go to the position that the stick was in during bind.

The only thing they don't do is take the failsafe setting from the SD card.

Also - some ESCs just keep the motor running if the throttle signal disappears. I have at least one of those.

So a proper test before flying is the only way to know just what your complete system would do.

I am sorry to hear that Ben, and without wishing to inflame you any further - I am curious about your comment "more freedom of speech". Please tell me in what way your freedom of speech has been limited on this - or any other thread?

All we ask is the simple request that you frame your argument in a reasonable way and avoid the use of unacceptable language. I fail to see how that limits the freedom of speech of any one who is articulate enough to express themselves. I know you are disappointed and very cross - and believe me I really do sympathise - but making implied accusations about this forum is not going to solve your problem - nor, in my opinion, is it fair. As far as I am aware this thread has been allowed run and you have been allowed to express your views - regardless of the fact that many don't agree with them. If it has been otherwise, please let me know.

BEB

Sorry Ben, but you say @ 22:49

"it wasnt a brown oput the motor was at full or very near to it it wasnt dumb thumb . it didnt go into failsafe"

Doesn't fail safe kick in on loss of signal? So if it didn't kick in how can there be a loss of signal?heck

You did check fail safe was operational before flight after binding I assume?

And I can see the faceslap discussions and much the same is being said there as far as I can see

I dont quite understand this......are we being told that a brand new DX18 and Rx just back from Horizon did just the same sort of thing as the previous DX18? Is it really a different DX18 & Rx or the old ones returned after checking?

If it really is a different DX18 then something in the plane or common to all crashes is a more likely suspect. Setting up the model from an SD card seems something to check. Duff info on the card or dodgy SD card seem possible. Why use the info on the SD card and not start afresh with the new TX?

But I would think the Rx power supply is number one suspect. Tell us more about the set up. 

I would also be checking the battery in the TX if it's the self same battery.  And looking at the charger if it's not the old battery.

Edited By kc on 13/06/2015 18:26:11

Is the SD card used in the transmitter during operation and are you using your original card? It seems that they are not particularly reliable devices - there have been a couple of cases where displays have frozen on another make of transmitter which have been blamed on faulty SD cards - thought to be corrupting during read/write telemetry or sound event operations. Thankfully there are separate processors for these operations so flight control has been unaffected - could it be that Spektrum architecture combines read/write functions with flight control?