Closing The Battle of Britain Chapel

Wilco Wingco

Advert

I totally agree that it should not be closed down or forgotten.

However why should the responsibility lie with the MOD ? Surely their job is to use the allocated resources for the defence of the country. It is a site of historical and possibly religeous interest, but no longer vital to our defences. Shouldn't responsibility lie more locally ? That is a lot of visitors into the area, somebody must be benefiting ?

I live in a rural area near some interesting caves. The land owner doesn't get anywhere near that number of visitors, but makes a good living from them.

If this chapel is so significant, then why isn't the local (or regional) community showing more interest ? Also this is one building, on one ex RAF Airfield. What about all the others ?

My concern is more towards the future of the local Air Cadets. Will they be disbanded ? We can do little about the past, but if we do nothing for the next generations, we will have failed those who's memories you all seem to be worrying about.