BMFA classified has been hacked

MikeS

I agree! I bet they are refining... looking at their market research and user tracking information and only then improving the site to reflect it's popularity... second surely to paying to get into the NATS? Watch this space!

Just as a matter of interest, but what makes a website vulnerable? Obviously I'm not suggesting we start a 'beginners guide to hacking' but perhaps someone (talking in the broadest of terms of course) could give us an idea of how these people operate. If I forget the password to a site then I'm stuck and wouldn't have a clue how to circumvent it.

Posted by Cuban8 on 20/01/2015 11:12:34:

Just as a matter of interest, but what makes a website vulnerable? Obviously I'm not suggesting we start a 'beginners guide to hacking' but perhaps someone (talking in the broadest of terms of course) could give us an idea of how these people operate. If I forget the password to a site then I'm stuck and wouldn't have a clue how to circumvent it.

Its not specifically the website thats vulnerable, much more commonly its the server/server farm that hosts the website that is targetted - The Server Operaring System and Cluster Control Software are extremely complex and as such always contain weaknesses and flaws even some trapdoor entry points, Operating System get very frequent security updates (patches) applied to close off flaws as they are detected, but its a game of cat and mouse - Most website attacks use hacker programs to try out millions of password combinations one after the other till they find a correct one

I had the occasion to ring the BMFA on another issue and asked about the website. I understand that they are pretty much having to start from scratch and may take some time to get it sorted and working.

This has really cheesed me off as it was the nearest thing to "retail therapy" for me. Ah well, back to shoes and handbags!

I would guess the hosting company were not keeping adequate back ups for recovery purposes - or the SLA the BMFA had in place didnt specify these were to be done at sufficiently timely intervals - hence either no recovery is possible or it would be so far out of date that its not viable

Hence the "new classified section" - wuite possibly hosted by the same company that runs the main BMFA website

This all sounds like any group of flyers if you observe the characters. Hackers and patchers, some with control group clusters and even trapdoors. Many with server and signal issues. Doesn't it all sound so familiar? Even those who seem to always be the target and cat and mouse in the circuit on busy days.

Yes it was due a revamp and I guess this has forced their hand. Although Dave Has a point re: backups etc - it should have been restored very quickly if only a few hours out of date!

I wish it well and I look forward to SPEEDY searches, not waiting 25-30s sometimes

So do I -I got some real great bargains from there,Unused Laser 70 (new model) £90, un-run Saito 72, £95...

But 3 weeks? as you say, thankfully it's not a business...

Noodling around, the old BMFA Classifieds website address seems to be hosted in Germany, by 1and1. The current BMFA address traces to Nebraska!

Edited By Stevo on 30/01/2015 17:11:39

As a bit of a boring nerdy Compooter type, yes this is now far too seriously long enough. I am well aware of the damage caused by this type of hacking but also after it happened to a company in Nigeria of all places, we were back up and running in 72 hours....not days ! This was a lan system with over 15000 profiles.

I have just received a 'BMFA Style' email alert, just like the one I used to get from the BMFA Classifieds website, however the URL has changed!

:WARNING:
Be careful people, this could be a further scam and shouldn't be trusted until the official BMFA website has given its official stamp on its use.

www.bmfatraders.co.uk  -  Do not log in to this site with your username and password!

An email to the BMFA has been sent, alerting them to this site, asking them to update their official page to confirm if this site is legitimate or not.

Edited By Allan Bowker on 02/02/2015 22:35:17

bmfatraders has been registered with its current owner for 7 years, but the Isle of Man address sounds unlikely:

Domain name:
bmfatraders.co.uk

Registrant:
Modelnet

Registrant type:
Other UK Entity (e.g. clubs, associations, many universities)

Registrant's address:
22 Douglas St
Castletown
Isle of Man
IM9 1BD
United Kingdom

Data validation:
Registrant name and address awaiting validation

Registrar:
Webfusion Ltd t/a 123-reg [Tag = 123-REG]
URL: http://www.123-reg.co.uk

Relevant dates: