Wiggo

Max Z

Advert

Hi Steven,

Looking good from your pics. I wish that I had had a copy of the hatch artical, as I really struggled to get a decent locking system on mine. Still not sure it really good! I'll see if I can get a copy of that mag, if you would kindly inform me of the title and date.

Not trying to reach you to suck eggs, but do avoid a mistake I made. DO NOT glue the wings into the fuse, until you have covered both items. Otherwise you have quite a job on where they meet, especially if the wing and fuse are to be different colours at the join.

Cheers for now, Glyn.

That article appears to be the July 2016 issue of RC ModelWorld from Traplet. Back issue seems available here

It does appear to be very similar to my own design of hatch catch which I put on this forum many months before...  back in December last year .......hatchcatch.jpghatchcatch.jpg

Edited By kc on 05/09/2016 12:26:21

Thanks for the heads up on attaching the wing. I will follow your advice. Yes the article is in the July 2016 issue of RC Modelworld.

These are the basic materials needed

wf 020.jpg

Here they are glued up, washer soldered on, and spring installed

wf 021.jpg

And now glued to hatch

wf 023.jpg

I still need to carve a knob [gunsight style] and glue it on

wf 024.jpg

First flight for my latest Wiggo today. It was quite a handful,to trim out, but eventually got it flying decently. All ok and very agile. Main thing is she's back home in one piece. Just need to mod the hatch fixings. Magnets too weak.

Starting to look around for a new project now.

Posted by Steven Shaw on 12/09/2016 22:32:47:

I can see that my paper tubes are too short, but don't know if I will be able to extend or replace them now.

Don't worry Steve, there is a trick that you can use. Just cover your wing and open up the holes where the servo's go. Then get some woollen thread and a vacuum cleaner. Hold the nozzle of the vacuum cleaner near the central opening in the wing and suck the thread through the servo hole and through the paper tube. Use the thread to pull your servo lead through and presto...

Max.

Looking very good. Tubes what tubes, I never used any at all. I just furkled around with a piece of copper wire until it appeared out of the other end then attached the servo lead with some masking tape and pulled it through. So don't worry you'll be ok. Mine is flying ok.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted by Glyn44 on 28/08/2016 18:00:22:

PS Steve,

The hardest bit is fitting/cutting the windscreen, oh and covering the wing tips to a decent standard!!!

I'm finding that out Glyn - I'm not happy with how my wingtips are turning out and I think that I will carve a balsa block for the leading edge, back to the spar.wc 001.jpg

Edited By Steven Shaw on 22/09/2016 14:13:14

That wingtip looks fine to me. I've not seen the drawing but if all the parts are there (ie no extra support near the L/E) then that's way it's bound to look as you shrink the covering.

I like Max's idea about sucking lightweight thread through with a vacuum cleaner but I would think it wouldn't be much trouble to push the servo lead through and fish it out through the servo mount. I have a couple of surgical retractors of different sizes I use for the job. There were boxes full of them on the show tool stalls (perhaps there still is) and they're really useful gadgets for jobs like that.

Geoff