WARNING

Dave Potter

Hi Guys, Brought myself a small covering iron last year to get into those silly little corners, on the third time of use set on the lowest temp when it started to melt while i was holding it. There was no bang or fire it just started melting. I thought Hanger nine was a reputable company

Cheers Dave.

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 11/02/2015 18:08:01

Advert

Doesn't surprise me, I like there aircraft but there tools and equipment have also failed me recently. I had there heavy duty starter that died on it's first use. A chicken finger stick that snapped whilst flicking a prop and a hand held pump that was already seized. All these where brand knew though lucky neither could have caused a meltdown, yes certainly get in touch with HH

Good Luck

Hi Dave - just wondering...

I've had a look around, and I can't see this iron listed on any UK retailers' site, or even on the HorizonHobby site.

So just wondering where you got it from and whether it might be from America where mains voltage is 110v. Do they produce this in a 240v version. Because if they do I don't see it being sold anywhere...

Posted by kc on 12/02/2015 11:48:12:

Hanger 9 irons are advertised on Amazon for 55 pounds but they look different so perhaps its not that model. Could yours be a fake?

Either way it seems Trading Standards should be asked to investigate due to the danger to others.

Looking at the photo is it me or doesnt the "Hanger 9" sticker look like its stuck over anothe label underneath?

Dave brought the iron and the box it arrived in to the club today, and having seen the offending article it looks very much like it's a 110v iron.

To answer Dave H's question about the sticker maybe being stuck on top of another, the answer is No. There's no sign of the Hangar 9 sticker being 'dodgy' - it looks totally genuine.

The UK plug is not moulded-on as most are these days - it's just an ordinary 13A plug as you'd buy from your local hardware store. The cable looks rather flimsy by Euro-standards - very similar to the cable on the 110v covering iron I bought in Florida many years ago and use via a 110v transformer. And the plug has been put on rather amateurishly - there's a few strands of wire poking out from the neutral pin on the plug. Additionally the fuse is 13A - way more than it should be. This is all as it arrived, not fitted by Dave!

2015-02-15 14.23.09.jpg

Looking at the box there is no indication whatsoever of voltage or power, nor are there there any markings on the iron for voltage/current/power. This convinces me even more that this is a product produced for the American market with no thought whatsoever that other parts of the world might exist that don't use 110v.

Dave did say that it got extremely hot quite quickly - which wouldn't be surprising if it's running on twice the intended voltage! I've suggested he pursues the seller - it's not clear if the seller (via Amazon) was a trader who may have off-loaded lots of these or an individual selling-on one he'd bought.

Wow! I am doubtful that anyone with the necessary intellect to change a plug on an appliance such as this and who is internet savvy enough to advertise on amazon could be unaware of the electrical differences between countries.

On a side note I recommend the Irvine iron as this ones successor because the Irvine has the widest temperature range I could find which, to me, is more important than uncalibrated LCD temperature displays and other gimmicks.

Having lived and worked in the UK for the first 26 years of my life I do not ever remember being able to buy an appliance fitted with a three pin plug and having only two wires, in fact I thought it was illegal? I thought all such items were required to have a ground wire? this side of the pond most small indoor appliances have only a positive and negative wire with a ground being required on the larger stuff such as a fridge or the ovens which are 220 volts and a 4 pin plug. That wire certainly looks like it was meant for our north american market and is obviously not fit for purpose over there and dangerous to those who may use it, think what could have happened if it had been left unattended to warm up while Dave grabbed a cuppa and a digestive ( chocolate of course ).

If the seller ( whoever they may be ) is trying to push more of these they need to be stopped and if it is a one off by someone trying to move it along because they made a error in purchase while in another part of the world they need to be made aware of how dangerous this can be, maybe a visit from the boys in blue?

Just my opinion but I really would hate to see someone hurt because of stupidity.

Posted by Tony Richardson on 15/02/2015 18:44:57:

Having lived and worked in the UK for the first 26 years of my life I do not ever remember being able to buy an appliance fitted with a three pin plug and having only two wires, in fact I thought it was illegal?

If an item is double insulated then having no earth line is fine.

looking at the plug pictures the cable looks like it is single insulated( ie you only need to cut through one layer to get to the bare copper wire) this is dangerous at 230v voltage . you can use single insulated cable at extra low voltage ( ie 12v ).

as to the previous post a double insulated appliance doesn't need a earth wire this would be indicated by two squares one inside the other someware on the item.

this item should be reported to trading standards, so it can be removed from sale, before some one gets electrocuted or burns there house down!

That's shocking ! crook no pun intended.

I doubt it if your iron is legal - I reckon it's 110v - the clue is in the wire - single insulated wire does not conform to UK standards. added to that some idiot put a 13 fuse on a 1.5A cable -- surprised you didn't get a shock and get burnt!

Earth is not needed as long as it's a Class 2. I know, as I have a Pat testing certificate for work. If I was to test it, it would fail.

Most small appliances are double-insulated these days, Tony and don't need an earth wire. There's normally a double square symbol on the labelling.

All appliances bought in the UK from retailers, AFAIK, are required to have a standard UK plug properly fitted, so if this was purchased from a UK retail outlet I'd say it's a Trading Standards job, no if's or buts. There's a serious fire risk and potentially fatal situation if that is indeed, as suspected, a 110v appliance. I would have no sympathy with a trader putting his customers at risk like that.

I'm assuming that the OP can confirm that the iron arrived with that plug, in that condition, of course.

On the other hand, if it has been bought from a private individual, I'd say its a case of caveat emptor.....

Pete

I take it the OP might now like to revise his opinon of Hangar 6 products, btw?smile

it's this. Oh dear...

han145.jpg

From the spec:

"the ProTrim is supplied with an extra long 12' 110/120V AC cord, making it great for covering large airplanes. It also comes with a table-top stand to protect your work surface from burns. Plus, the ProTrim has a 2-year warranty, making it an exceptional value."

Hmm I bet it got hot quick,

I thought UK spec was a molded plug was to be fitted to appliances from new

Hmm Having looked at the Plug I have noticed it's the same as an acrylic neon sigh I purchased but never used. perhaps I should chuck it out rather than risk a fire.

Edited By bert baker on 15/02/2015 21:23:45

Bert - it doesn't have to be a molded plug - at least not according to Norfolk Trading Standards' summary (a bit more readable than the full text of the law!)

A rewireable plug may be fitted - though for some reason they must be supplied with connection instructions. (Why, if it's already fitted - as it has to be?!) And the fuse must be suitably rated - not just left by default as a 13A one!