SLEC The Wonderful World Of Wood

Sometimes I wish I had more time to build from scratch. On the odd times that I need to replenish my ply and wood strip supplies for ARTF modifications I always order it from SLEC. And this time was no different from past orders in that the wood was great quality, superbly packaged and delivered via courier within 48 hours. What more could you want? Great work folks!

I've had excellent service from SLEC recently as well. I'm currently scratch building an 1100mm waterline length Thames sailing barge (that's horizontal flying ) and their quick efficient supply of wood has helped greatly. The web site makes it very easy to find what I need ... once I make up my mind, that is, which isn't always easy.

Geoff

• 3 weeks later...

Having read the above comments and with the prospect of a 60 mile round trip to my LMS with no guarantee that they would have all the wood I needed I decide to use SLEC. I can only concur with the comments posted, the service is excellent, I ordered Friday morning and the wood arrived Monday at 08:10.

Just a bit of a shame that, in keeping with most Internet suppliers, getting things shipped to my """" Extremely remote and distant planet. ..... I live on the Isle of Wight! !!""""" nearly doubles the purchase price. . Seriously thinking of changing my name to Thor Hyerdal and ordering a full size Kontiki raft, sailing it home and then slicing my own balsa sheet from it.. O.k rant over. 😠

I live in Cyprus and the cost of getting my building materials sent over is very high indeed but Slec are the cheapest and the best in my experience i find them superb

Would not deal with enybody else for my balsa, ply and glues

In my experience Slec have the slickest online ordering system for balsa wood in the UK but I believe that things could improve further.

Maybe I've been unlucky but across two seperate orders the shaped balsa I received was made from very, very heavy wood. I chose a selection of different shapes so I am guessing they choose to make the shaped parts from heavier stock. They do not allow weight choice when it comes to shaped balsa and I think that is a problem.

They also bodged the update to their website so that **LINK** now goes to some sort of advertising / place holder web page whereas simply prefixing www onto the URL so that it becomes **LINK** goes directly to the correct website. That is the exact same top level domain! While on the subject of the website, I don't like having to click the 'online shop' link from the home page to begin shopping. When I go to the home page I am effectively navigating a very elaborate 'splash' page until I click the 'online shop' link. I want to start shopping right away. Take note solarfilm.co.uk, your flash based splash page causes me much annoyance.

I would excuse the website entirely if they could let me choose from even more paramaters while selecting wood. I would love to be able to specify grain type and density. I think they should also hive off competition grade balsa which I would gladly pay extra for.

That's my tuppence anyway, otherwise a very nice bunch to deal with!

SLEC are good, but if you want to specify both Grain type and Density as does Simon P, then give Balsa Cabin a try.

There's no sophisticated on-line ordering but the service is excellent as has been the quality of balsa and ply I've had from them over the past few years.

Norm

I beg to differ here!

I sent them a cutting list a while back. I heard nothing. I rang them a week later and they said that they have just received it. Another week. I rang again. They then informed me that the guy who did the cutting had just gone on a weeks holiday. Over a week later, nothing. I emailed them and cancelled the order. Not even an acknowledgement.

I visited the SLEC tent at Headcorn. Oh yes they said, we had that order up on the wall but we didn't do it did we?

Not ordered from them since.

The SLEC website is not as nice to use as it was a few months ago!

SLEC are a very nice supplier to deal with at shows. Balsa Cabin is equally good.  However SLEC sell balsa up to 5.75 inch /146mm wide which might be useful for some projects.  Dont forget that they sell a load of useful accessories so this can mitigate the postage costs.

This is what the SLEC website says about grades "All our balsa is graded for normal modelling use. For example 0.8mm (1/32" sheet would be hard, 1.6 to 6.5mm (1/16 to 1/4" would be medium and 9.5mm (3/8" sheet and over would be soft.

If your balsa requirement is different to normal use, you can specify an alternative grade before adding it to your shopping basket
. "

Edited By kc on 03/03/2015 11:45:45

• 3 months later...

One thing I like very much about SLEC is there non-greedy policy on postage charges for small packages. Many suppliers have a standard charge, usually around £4-£5. Not SLEC, I just paid £2.90 which can't be any more than they paid the post office.

This means that if you need that small accessory you don't end up paying more on postage than for the item. They're fast too!

David