New Tony Nijhuis BAe Hawk EDF

Tony  Nijhuis

Well it seems that RCM&E are not content with just one Special a year, they have now decided to go for another.... two specials (the existing Autumn and the new Spring Special) and that means two plans from yours truly!!!!!

Now fortunately I had the next TND project on the go which was a DF powered Hawk so this is now going to be the Spring Special Plan.

After the roaring success of the DF Vulcan i though may be I have been missing a trick with this ducted fan lark....So the Hawk seemed the next logical step....So 42" span 4.5lb AUW very near scale, flaps and retracts and 70mm 6S fan unit to power it. Test flight is scheduled for next week so lets hope for some dry weather...

Happy days

Ok some development photos to whet your appetite

I have used an old Lander 68mm 5-bladed unit with a 2600kvs motor on 6S. This should deliver around 2.1kg of thrust which in theory will give a 1 to 1 thrust to weight ratio...!!!smiley The plan is this model has to RO cut grass which is a big ask as the retract wheels are quite small....still we shall see

I have kept this build very simple and very near scale so hopefully it will attract the the not so practiced builders out there and also the rooky DF modellers wanting to have a go (of which I am one of them)

img_2963.jpg

img_2964.jpg

img_2965.jpg

img_2966.jpg

img_2967.jpg

img_2968.jpg

img_2969.jpg

Looks like just what I need! And my wife cant complain as she works at Air Command and my 3yr old son loves the Red Arrows. It would most likely be a belly lander for me and maybe a bungee launch depending on the static thrust.

Are you planning to make an intake duct into the fan or leave it as per the pics?

Tony

I am just wondering if it really needs a 6s battery I would have thought with a decent 11 blade fan and 4s would work. There would be a good saving in weight and cost, whilst it may not give 1:1 I am sure it would not be far off. Your Vulcan only uses 3s although not a speed machine.

Can we have a 90mm Eurofighter Typhoon next.

Well its now ready for test flying and the AUW is just over 2.1kg. The fan unit I have measured is giving around 1.6kg of thrust which ties up with the Lander test video on their web site. Ran the model around the lumpy back garden and was able to push her round no problem.....with a summer mown strip, she ROG no problem.

Alan, your comment about the 4s version; I have a Dr MT 11 bladed 4S unit from hobby king, bought as an alternative. The thrust is similar to the Lander I'm using but the weight is 60g more. Because the 4S will draw more current to deliver the same power as the 6S, the batteries will need to be of larger capacity...at least 5000mah.....(I used a 3300mah 6S for the Lander fan).......QED to deliver the same performance and duration, the 4S version actually turned out to be a heavier install......the key point to bear in mind here is use as higher voltage as possible as this will deliver the power at less current. 6S is a great size because most modern cheap charges and ESC will cope with 6S. Once you go above 6S, the cost of ancillary equipment increases alarmingly.

Stuey's point concerning intake ducts is an interesting one.......there is a benefit to a smooth intake but not a much as one might think. the most important element is the 'bellmouth' intake to the fan and most manufactures now fit these as they increase the performance and therefore placing less reliance on the modeller making smooth intake ducts or a kit manufacture producing a light composite product which adds weight. If we can avoid the difficulty of intake ducts on plan build models, it really opens up a more simplicity approach to ducted fan modelling with out be penalised on performance. Interestingly I have done some test with the Lander fan both in and out the model and there appeared no loss in performance!!!

Based on this simplistic and if the Hawk design is successful, I will certainly be adding more EDF's to the rangewink ...happy days

Thanks for the feedback on the ducting Tony. I have seen a few larger edf builds where there is no specific ducting and the fan is fitted with a bell inlet. I have also noted that turbine models have very little ducting and have all sorts of bits in the airflow, but I guess they have thrust to spare.

I would like to see a Eurofighter too, preferably 70mm but scaling up to 90mm would be easy enough. Please!!

Looking good! It would be great to have some more edf airframes to choose from. There were loads of foam airframes a few years ago, but the choice has dropped right away. There is a lot of good edf kit around and not much to put it in! 70mm is a good starting point imo. I must start on my 90mm Eurofighter soon...

Best of luck for the maiden

Sometime thing just don't work out!!!

this was the sorry sight at 4pm today after 4 attempt to get the model into the air ROG....or should I say mud! The reality was the ground was too claggy for the 38mm wheels and she didnt want to rotate.

One of the problem with having to design and test in the winter especially a ducted fan.... 

So rather than try a hand launch, i put more elev throw and moved the batteries back to help rotating and put half flap in....it all ended with a rearwards Cof G and as she finally got air bourne it was on the stall point and the fight started...i lost after about a 3-4 seconds

img_2977.jpg

Edited By Tony Nijhuis on 21/02/2015 22:31:51