New Tony Nijhuis BAe Hawk EDF

Tony  Nijhuis

Posted by Tripwire on 21/06/2015 16:16:02:

I saw a copy of RCM&E today and it was stated therein that the plan should be included in either the August or September issue. I have marked my calendar accordingly.

Earlier in the thread, someone encouraged TN to design a Folland Gnat. I've long wanted to build one of those - a great-looking aircraft. If TN could turn his talent to designing one, I would be a very happy man.

Edited By Tripwire on 21/06/2015 16:16:52

Sept issue confirmed thumbs up

• 2 weeks later...

I am looking forward to the September issue along with many more people.

Not having flown any DF, are they intrinsically different to fly?

Although i would guess it is the take of, or launch that is the biggest issue?

At first sight the model appears to have a good amount of wing area relative to its weight. Some idea of the wing loading (oz ft^-2) would give some idea.

I've not flown a EDF myself, although, funnily enough, I've got a foam BAe Hawk that will hopefully take to the air soon. I've not read any reports that they are particularly different or difficult to fly, but I'm sure many on the forum will be able to provide information re this.

As for launching, this is often done by hand or with a bungee. Click on the link below for some videos of bungee launches.

**LINK**

DF are not difficult to fly and compared to a prop driven model, they are smooth and precise with no torque effect and prop wash to worry about.

Anyone trying DF for the first time may struggle to return back to a prop driven plane!

Expo is important on the aileron and elevator as the high and lower speeds of the model means you need all you can get for landings (especially elevator) but the movements are likely to be too much at high speed. I suggest about 30-40% expo on the elevator on the plan, so that is a good starting point.

• 2 weeks later...

Tony,

Would there be any chance of you possibly designing a Concorde one day in the future? We recently lost my mum quite suddenly and tragically on the 2nd of last month and at such a low age of just 56 years old. The Concorde has a special place in our hearts as a family and my mum also as my mums dad my grandad made parts for this plane among others at Vickers /BAC in Weybridge Surrey. Although I haven't built from any of your plans yet I have looked over a few and have found them to be quite straightforward and accurate to build from. I know it won't be just yet, but when you do have time eventually it would be great if it were the same size as the 49ins Vulcan.

Many Thanks

Steve

soooo many subjects and so little time.....

The Gnat and Concord maybe one for the future.....a few years ago I aquired a 30" span concord designed for static only....i put a 40 on the back end and it flew amazingly well.....big problem with concord it dutch rolled terribly

Posted by Erfolg on 09/07/2015 11:46:04:

I am looking forward to the September issue along with many more people.

Not having flown any DF, are they intrinsically different to fly?

Although i would guess it is the take of, or launch that is the biggest issue?

Carl,

The launch is a problem, I ruined my foamy EDF F9F Panther by trying to launch myself - ok it is repaired but not the same as it was...

As long as the thing is speeding there is not much difference, when you fly a bit slower there is not much reaction from the control areas. but as you are always experimenting with unusual 2nd world war birds it shouldn't be a problem for you - as long as you find a person who is launching the thing.

I am playing with the idea of trying this Tony Niijhuis model - would be nice from asphalt but our filed is grass. And of course there are a few other projects in the pipeline leaving alone the never ending house renovation...

Projects in the pipeline: Tucano (RCME), Curare 60, Cygnet, Bobcat 40 II not to mention all the repairs....

so the hawk has to wait a bit...

VA

I have a couple of edf models and I copied an idea from a mag. It involves setting in a single wheel just in front of the c of g . Not much of the wheel shows underneath, and it is not really visible in flight. No ground looping either, as ailerons effective almost from the start. This means that (depending on the design) the wheel can be as large as you can get in, and quite thin and lightweight. Mine is rog on fairly rough grass. Can't use flaps though!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...