New Tony Nijhuis BAe Hawk EDF

Tony  Nijhuis

So 3 hours later and we are ready to rock and roll again!....never say die....

Stripped out the retracts, knocked 5oz of the AUW and rebalanced the model.......So another go tomorrow with a hand launch this time.....

The AUW is now just under 2000g which is on the cusp of a 90mm fan in theory so if thing fail tomorrow, a redesign is going to happen!!

img_2979.jpg

Edited By Tony Nijhuis on 21/02/2015 22:51:53

Test flight successful!!!!smiley

Just back from a cold & windy Headcorn Aerodrome but happy that today was a success after the misery of yesterday.

Having resigned myself that winter weather was never going to befriend an ROG the only option was a hand launch....fortunately some seasoned hand launchers were on hand to give it a healthy chuck......

I had decided to reduce all the rates to 50% of yesterdays failed attempt and get the Cof G forward to the position i thought correct. First launch and she was a way smoothly....harha....

needed quite a bit of down trim and a little bit skittish which i suspected being the CogG still not correct!.

Next flight reduced the rates and put 25% expo, found the flap were giving 2deg reflex so adjusted these and finally put a 5000mah pack in the bring the CofG forward again. Once again a smooth launch with no drop (wind about 5-10 knots) but this time rock steady climb out. Once trimmed she really did groove......loads of power and a great scale speed on half throttle...

So test No.1 out of the way and what a difference a day makes!!!. In many respects yesterday disaster was a bit of a wake up call and the one thing I hark on about is getting the Cof G correct. yesterday I disregarded my own advice and got bittenembarrassed

Thanks Guys,

Yes there will be a cnc /wood pack to boot.....available only through TND ltd....the plan will be free in the magazine.

I didn't use flap on the landing many because the model was pitching up uncomfortably when applied and seem to unsettled the model. She slowed up very well without flap so on the final model i will dispense with the flaps as they are prone to damage on a belly landing. Even the aileron linkages will need a protecting farings I think.

For this model to be an all season machine its going to be for hand or bungee launch only. I will show retract positions but this will only be for the lucky pilots with a tarmac or a summer bowling green Strip to fly from. Testing this model in the winter with a spring deadline means there is just no time to test the undercarriage capability and ROG from a claggy old club site (which is the norm)

Hopefully the PSS boys will love it too

Guys,

I am considering enlarge the model later on this year by 5-10% and fitting a 90mm fan......this way i can keep the proportions very similar, reuse the VAC form but enlarge the wing area slightly. This way the power increase (50%!) may assist rough ground take of which is what I was after with this model.....

Guys,

Just to let you know that the Hawk plan will NOT be going into the RCM&E Spring Special but but will be in one of the scheduled monthly editions, possible June or july.

This gives me a little more time to complete the job but it also means that subscription readers will definitely get the plan.

Happy days...

Dont worry, there will only be a delay of a month or so.....Its given me time to build another one, which is almost complete.... I have a hobbyking Dr MT- 11 bladed 6S version which should give more power but the idea is to make this new one with scale detailing and retracts; just for the summer months (when the ground is firm and the grass is short)

The one that has been test flown is being recovered and detailed but will be the winter hack for hand launch only without U/C

• 1 month later...

Just a quick up-date Guys...

Two versions now on the go; the first being the simplified hand launch version with no undercarriage and no flaps. AUW is 4lb 4oz with a 3300 6S lipo installed and the 5 bladed Lander 68mm fan unit. Hope to do some final launch testing to see just how slow we can throw to get it away.....at over 4lbs it may be a little uncomfortable for hand launch so it could be bungeed.....question, where should the launch hook go?

Great to use the new Red Arrow colour scheme tooface 1

img_3098.jpg

img_3100.jpg

Here's the second one which is going to be for tarmac and short summer grass......this is going to be some 8oz heavier but ROG, it should n't be a problem....I have put the HobbyKing 6S eleven bladed fan in this one which should give another 400g of thrust over the five bladed Lander.....just need to find some tarmac!

img_3101.jpg

img_3102.jpg