RCRCM Sunbird which servos ?

Think it is time I treated myself to a decent slope soarer, had enough of the cheap foamies.So looking at buying the RCRCM Sunbird.Anyone know what servos to get for this Sunbird.Thinking of getting 6 Hi-Tec HS 65HB but will they fit in the thin wing.The other option is to get 4 MKS ds 6100 to fit in the wing and 2 HS 65HB for rudder and elevator.Or has anyone got some suggestion of which servo to buy for the Sunbird?

I'm using SD-150 servos in the wings of my SB, and Hitec HS-65mg for rudder and elevator. The wing bays are quite shallow so the thinner the servo the better. I have yet to strip any gears in the SD servos (touch wood), and only used the Hitec MG servos because they happened to be in my spares box. IMHO Carbonite gears would be a better option for rudder and elevator as they generally have less backlash than their metal geared counterpart.

P.S. I'm using a 1600mAh 4 cell 2/3AA battery mounted vertically right at the front of the fuselage. 

Edited By Bill_B on 23/02/2015 16:55:04

I've slowly changed out all the Hitec HS 65 HBs in my Mini Blade as it kept stripping the carbonite gears and that included the V Tail ones (think knocking it when carrying it). I substituted them with E Max metal geared ones, so I'd say go with metal geared ones to handle the knocks on the slope, not just flying but also the carrying up and down.

Be ready for the jump in performance from a foamy my Mini Blade feels all mushy and un responsive at low speed but let off the reins it comes alive wink

Posted by Rocker on 23/02/2015 21:55:35:

Will the savox 255's fit in the futaba 617 receiver and work with Futaba radio ????

I can't imagine any reason why not. The Savox plugs are the 'universal' type without the Futaba-style 'key' - but that just means they'll plug into almost any receiver, whereas to use a Futaba servo in a non-Futaba rx you'd need to trim off the key.

I'm using Savox 257 servos in my Katana. That now has Taranis radio, but previously had Futaba 2.4 though with a FrSky FASST-compatible rx.

Rocker - do note that a lot of Subirds seem to get broken, fellow fliers have reported the fuselage is very thin in layup, behind the trailing edge. I know of two Sunbirds that were broken on landings that were fairly mild, on a grassy hill top. Pretty little model though.

There are other options for "better than cheap foamie performance" without necessarily going "fully moulded"

have a look at offerings by Hyperflight uk such as the Skymaster / Veloce (good in light lift and more exciting than a fomie in the same conditions) I have a Hyperflight Speed-E - no longer available from Hyperflight, but from the same manufacturer (also sold by Ostflieger as the Stella - its a 1.8m electric version of the Skymaster, its been a fab little model - just lacks the aerobatic energy retention you get from a mouldie.

imho mouldies come alive when let off the leash in the conditions where foamies start to struggle to penetrate, in lesser conditions you just need to be careful of what Andy Ellison referred to as "over elevator syndrone" - keep it moving.

as well as the uk suppliers, theres loads of options from Arthobby and Blezyk, various choices from Staufenbiel, Topmodel CZ and so on..shop around.

you might also grab a decent 2nd hand offer on the BARCS classifieds section of the forums.

PS - my rcrcm Typhoon has savox 255's all round, and have been very good. particularly when used in conjunction with fu-fix external bearing sets, (potentiometer bearings), savox 255's are possibly a bit fat for a sunbirds wing unless using humped servo covers, though humped covers are no big deal.

have you considered a Whisper ? http://www.south-coast-sailplanes.com/whisper-glider £270.

oh yeah worth a look at OLE-RC too, they sell "seconds" as well as perfect RCRCM models, they will send you photo's of the issues so you are making an infomed descision and delivery is fast and you can track it - just have a slight risk of import duty (even with import duty my typhoon worked out less than it would have from a uk supplier and it came fast - things may have changed though).

Thanks Twinstar ,funny you should say that about the sunbird ,someone else warned me about that !.I was very interested in what you have to say and I looked at the Whisper ,that might be a better buy for me I think I will give South-Coast Sailplanes a ring Thanks that was very helpfull

Hi, I have a Sunbird (well 2 !) and an X models whisper, the Sunbird looks better and is a totally different glider than the whisper.

As a first mouldie I would say that the whisper is very much the better glider, stronger built, much easier install and more forgiving than the sunbird to fly, will fly in much lighter conditions than the sunbird but can still cope with a bit of a blow.

The sunbird needs to be kept moving all the time and is much more fragile ....................!

my 2p,

russ.

Now is it the Whisper or the Sunbird.If I was honest I really want the Sunbird ,I like the way it fly and I always wanted a fast aerobatic slope soarer The most sensible thing to do would be to get the Whisper but the Sunbird looks and fly so good Life so difficult !!!!! All these decision to make

If you really want the Sunbird ? Buy a Sunbird from T9 (excellent service !)

and with the difference buy a MPX Blizzard to fly when your repairing the Sunbirds fuselage ...........!

I flew my Whisper a lot last year, it is a very good plane but not the same performance as a Sunbird, much easier to fly and way tougher !

russ

To be fair Russ, my SB will be 2 years old next month and has not yet shown me that it's got a fragile fuselage. On the contrary, the rear of the fuselage is extremely rigid and is strengthened with carbon tow as supplied from the factory. Mind you, I suppose a lot depends on one's 'landing' technique too.

"Mind you, I suppose a lot depends on one's 'landing' technique too. "

Aaah ! Bill I did not realise you flew in the purbecks !

I will say that the later Sunbird fuselages from T9 are much better than the earlier ones from elsewhere.

I have hs65mg in one plane & sd100 in the other, the 65's fit but are a squeeze.

Sunbird vs Whisper thou ? chalk & cheese, totally different to fly.

What was it Andy Ellison said ?

No such thing as the wrong conditions ? it's not having enough gliders !

russ

I have a Whisper and absolutely love it! 2m span so bigger than the SB, easy to fly, easy to land, will fly in 7mph or 30mph. I've been flying mine week in and week out for coming up to 3 years now, and when this one bites the dust, I'll buy another. I've even bungee launched mine from a flat field to great effect. I would thoroughly recommend this model to anyone wanting to move on from foamies. There are some videos on my blog.

Steve

A470soaring.blogspot.co.uk

No I have not ordered any ballast ,not sure it needs it .Never flown a glider with ballast in it.I know it helps it penetrates when it get a bit windy That is a whole new ball game for me I have only been slope soaring for just over a year but I am willing to try anything I have to get my head around how to fit the ballast tube first!!!