A Cautionary Tale About PC Scammers

Adrian Smith 1

Last night I was subject to an attempted scammer incident on my iMac where a web search produced a site that was linked to a PC freeze window on my computer with a phone number which purported to be apple support for me to unfreeze it. Maybe it was late in the evening, but I phoned it and my PC was taken control with a "logmeinrescue" download. However, at the point where money was asked for I cut the phone line and turned off the PC. I then used my Windows laptop to Google the phone number given. You guessed it. Anyway after an hour I went back to the PC removed all the suspicious downloads and rescue icon off the tool bar.

This morning I phoned the local Apple/Mac expert to see what else I needed to do. He suggested I downloaded and ran the free Adware or as it's now called Malabytes to seek any Malaware still present. This I did and all seems to be well now. Suffice to say I have changed every password I have (took 2 hours) as a precautionary measure, using my Window laptop. You live and learn, just when you think you are not gullible.

Advert

They are always a scam.

The most crucial safety point is to never, never, never email them back, phone or message anyone back who contacts you. Never click on or accept any pop up window.

As a safety reminder, emails wise: If someone messages you and it does not give you your full name in the body of the message then it will, 99% of the time, be a con.

If a message from a site you use looks real and asks you to click on a link - never click on it. Always perform a login on another page using your own links to that website, if you absolutely must check your account, which is probably what the message is asking you to do.

The pages the scammers send are getting more and more sophisticated and the simplest method, and easiest method, is to always close that message down and log in seperately if you really need to check.

Similarly if a virus alert pops up with a message to "click here to fix" or similar - close it. Do not click on it. Open your anti virus and check it yourself so you know the message is real.

If you haven't got an anti virus program - get one.

If you use a Mac and still think you don't need an anti virus program (many still think they are safe) - get one.

I have always said that if I had a genie offer me three wishes I would use one wish to get every single internet scammer, email scammer, telesales spammer, PPI pest callers and computer hackers to stop what they were doing and become instant Des O'Connor fans.

Obviously if there were no admins on here I'd state what I really would do to them but making them Des O'Connor fans is a close second! devil

Edited By John F on 23/07/2015 15:47:44

I have had several of those "we have been monitoring your computer and...."

I love them. I let them go on telling me what to do and eventually they say "We can fix that. Just type in...."

Having wasted quite a bit of their time and phone bill I say "I know that one you thieving something or other"

I tell them that it must be my other line 'cause the computer's on that not this one. Then I give them the number of a local cop shop that still has a listed BT number & ask them to call back on that line. They usually say they'll call straight back on the other number.
I haven't had the nerve to ask the plods if they ever receive any calls so dunno what the outcomes have been. teeth 2

I had one of those calls saying he was a microsoft tech, and he was going to clear my computer of its infections,I Ied him to believe he was convincing me and then hung up.He rang back almost immediately and I enquired as to where he got my number he gave some sort of nondescript reply mentioning registrations etc .I saw red big style, as I am thoroughly sick of getting unsolicited calls, I let rip with a few choice expletives calling him a scammermentioning his perceived colour and his doubtful parentage.Never had some cold caller get so upset, pity that.Had no more calls since, so it must have been effective,works for me.

Edited By sticky fingers on 23/07/2015 21:04:31

Posted by Peter Miller on 23/07/2015 18:23:13:

Having wasted quite a bit of their time and phone bill I say "I know that one you thieving something or other"

I did that a few months back and hung up, the scammer then range me back and she gave me a right earful about how I don't know what it's like to be poor, etc.

When they ring up, just say "Oh! I am glad you called I was thinking about that just the other day, can you hang on while I get a pen and paper"

Put the phone down without hanging up

Carry on with life as you were before you were interrupted

Wait 30 mins and replace the reciever

Andy, 23 minutes - I'm impressed! Previously I've;

• Got the guy to repeat everything 2 or 3 times, as I've had "difficulty understanding his accent"
  • Strung one along for ages by pretending my keyboard didn't have a Windows key (I genuinely do have a really old keyboard somewhere that doesn't)
  • Strung another one along for ages by having difficulty finding whatever he wanted me to click. When I innocently eventually enquired whether it might be because my computer was running Linux (it wasn't, but that's not the point!) he swore at me and hung up!

I've never got over about 15 minutes though before they give up. Have a look on youtube, there's a few good hoaxer windups on there.

And of course Fred, they'll usually address you as "Dear Customer" or something similar.

I've had loads of notifications over the years about accounts that I don't have, with banks I've never heard of, being frozen!

And apparently, my Apple account (that I don't have) has now been blocked. As somebody who dislikes just about everything that comes out of Cupertino, I'd say that's excellent news! thumbs up

• 3 weeks later...
Posted by John Privett on 24/07/2015 19:35:20:

​I've never got over about 15 minutes though before they give up. Have a look on youtube, there's a few good hoaxer windups on there.

I've just wasted 22.5 minutes of one scammer's time. These guys are getting bolder though. The last one to call me strenuously denied being a scammer when I got bored with him and told him I knew exactly what he was up to. He even tried to convince me he knew the "identity" of the PC I was on - he got me to run assoc and he told me a CLSID value from there to try to convince me he knew my "unique" number (about 20-digits long. Impressive, unless you realise it's the same number on almost every PC in the world!)

Today's scammer rang "from" a number that looks like a mobile number but with 2 digits too many. I made him wait a while while I pretended to get my laptop from the boot of the car. Then again whilst I went back to get the power supply... And then the postman knocked on the door (not really) and two visitors did the same. Obviously my PC took a long time to power up whilst he waited!

I spun up an almost brand-new copy of XP in a virtualbox and he got me to run eventviewer - laboriously telling me, 'e' for echo, 'wee' for victor, 'e' for echo, 'n' for norman.... etc. I pretended to be confused by "wee" for victor to waste a bit more time! I could sense his disappointment when eventviewer had only a few information messages, a very small number of warnings, and none of the Error messages that he'd hoped to show me.

Undeterred he ploughed on through his script and got me to download teamviewer remote support and read him the 9-digit number so that he could connect to my PC. Not something I'd let him do, even on a virtual machine. This was my downfall, I made up a false 9=digit number as I read it to him, but he then asked me to repeat it to confirm he had it right!

Game over, I told him I knew exactly what he was doing and that I wasn't the computer-illiterate idiot I'd pretended to be, but an IT professional with 30+ years experience. Again this one strenuously denied scamming. Eventually he hung up - he didn't even swear at me - slightly disappointing... But at least he wasn't scamming anybody else for those 22.5 minutes.