A Chicken And Egg Question

Dai Fledermaus

I've often wondered what most of IC stalwarts do first :-

A    You buy an engine, then find a model/ models to fit it.

or

B    You build/buy a model aircraft which appeals and then look around for an engine to put in it.

I imagine that most of you did A, but if that's the case how did you decide what size of engine you could make most use of?

Edited By Dai Fledermaus on 27/08/2015 15:57:53

Advert

Probably B for me in most cases nowadays. and it's a bonus if I already have an engine of the size needed.

I probably like most started with a Forty size trainer, and kept to the Forty sized range of planes for a while.

The planes got damaged frequently in my early days but normally the engine was OK, and on a tight budget it was cheaper to stay with one size engine, and second hand planes, High Boys Panic's and Flair PUPS and the old Vandals, An old Speed forty was enough back then.

so then was A but now B

Bert

Edited By bert baker on 27/08/2015 16:30:02

Like the real answer to the chicken and the egg, both evolve together.

Planes come and go, engines come and go, engines get swapped between planes. But what usually happens is a big game of leapfrog:

Buy plane A.

Buy engine for plane A.

Buy plane B.

Decide to put engine originally purchased for plane A into plane B, instead.

Buy engine for plane A.

Crash plane A.

Buy plane C, to use engine that was in A.

Decide to put engine from plane B into C, instead.

Go to beginning!

I general buy it as a package but if a decent engine comes up new but sold on unused I will buy it on its own. I normally have a good eye as to what's on the market & interests me as a future purchase so it all generally goes hand in hand.

I'm not adverse to swapping engines about in my fleet to improve a model or to realise an engine for a new plane.

Posted by The Wright Stuff on 27/08/2015 17:06:26:

Like the real answer to the chicken and the egg, both evolve together.

Planes come and go, engines come and go, engines get swapped between planes. But what usually happens is a big game of leapfrog:

Buy plane A.

Buy engine for plane A.

Buy plane B.

Decide to put engine originally purchased for plane A into plane B, instead.

Buy engine for plane A.

Crash plane A.

Buy plane C, to use engine that was in A.

Decide to put engine from plane B into C, instead.

Go to beginning!

^^^ And lots of this ^^^

Arr, but have you seen those fancy ali spinner nuts just engines do. A gentleman is incomplete without. But on a serious note, are you lot seriously telling me that you are that organised. My record is the ownership of a brand new engine for eleven years, and when I finally installed it, it was defective out of the box. Then I was struggling to get a replacement motor to fit, nightmare. But I still live dangerously.

once upon a time it was B, but as per The Wright Stuff things - evolved? Now I have a selection of engines and a selection of kits, but by the time I get around to start putting a combination together some new and entirely different airframe catches my eye which inevitably will need an engine I don't own. Or it might be an engine that catches my eye with the subsequent need for a suitable airframe.

Pretty much what Dai said

Back in the day it was probably A. You engine was a major investment so you thought ahead, got a good one that would handle the size/type of model you were interested in, then used it in a succession of models. In my earliest days it was a paw 1.5 that was good enough to successfully power a succession of control line models. When I returned to the hobby and started r/c it was an Irvine .46 for the same reason - it saw me through my first three or four R/C 'planes. In both cases it was because there was a huge variety of suitable model designs in those popular sizes

As the years pass you accumulate quite a collection so the question becomes less relevant and almost by definition the answer turns into B - you by now have more engines than you can use, so the only reason for buying another is that you don't have one to suit the model you have in mind

Edited By IanN on 27/08/2015 22:34:25

probably B...but when A go's the journey you have to replace B with something suitable for A all ok until you start and acquire lots of A's and B's...then decide you need some C's and D's.......... teeth 2 and on and on.......then you realize you have too many of all of them..

ken anderson...ne...1.............. A B and C's dept.

for me it is B - but if I crash something - it is normally A. and in this case it may not only be the engine - I look for something where I can use the complete gear. Example: crashed my Graupner Extra 300

finished

Replaced it with Seagull Extra 300. OK, the Graupner model was unique as I completely re-covered it, but sizes are the same, all servos, engine, on board glow etc. fit in the new model.

imgp3043.jpg

This is what I call keep the cost down

VA