Mossie

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

If you thought that was difficult, look at this lot. Problem is, are the motor crutches out of alignment or is it just the super structure? Will glass inside where I can still get at then apply polyester based filler, finally sanding down and re glassing the outside. Just chopping off the broken bits and building on new parts was not really an option.

mossie 171.jpg

mossie 172.jpg

mossie 173.jpg

mossie 174.jpg

mossie 175.jpg

mossie 176.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Geoff, other than the weight of the glue and a few bits of ply here and there, I doubt that it will be very much.

Danny, the original bomber nose was from a BT moulding set. The new canopy is also from that set and I did not realise that the bomber and fighter/bomber versions were different but it will have to do.

I have pulled a few acetate/PETG parts before (five on my Lanc) but this one has defeated me so far. I made a thick GRP copy from the TN ABS nose to pull around but despite re designing my moulding box to incorporate radiused corners to prevent creases, I get so far and end up with a hole in it. This is using a vacuum and a heat gun so the next attempt will be to go back to heating the acetate under the grill. Only got enough left for three more tries.

Anyone out there got a BT nose they don`t want?

Thanks Danny. I shall have another try, maybe tomorrow. As I said, I made a GRP plug from the ABS mould. It is slightly oversize so quite a bit could be cut from the acetate. It is not perfect, but is thick enough to withstand the heat. I could carve a balsa one to use if this still refuses to work.

Will let you know asap and may well need to take up your kind offer.

The original ABS I have is the TN one which is of course correct for the model other than that I shall need to cut out the bomb aimer`s panel and replace with a flat piece once the vacform is done ( Tony`s plan shows the fighter version).

The first mould I ever tried was for a 1:4 Rutan Cozy. I used plaster of Paris but had lots of problems with it cracking in the heat.

Anyway, if I have no luck I shall send you the mould(s).

Built up plugs from layered up timber, can work well, with fine air holes drilled right through to help the form

Beeswax on timber is the accepted non stick release agent s it softens with the heat

Plaster does work well as is usually smooth enough too, but is cold to start with

Blow moulding can be done too, into a mould