Mass Build 2016 - Chat Thread for Voting

Guys and Gals - let's not get too hung up on one model/two models, let's see what emerges from the vote. If two do finish very close - well we can look at that of course - as we have in previous years. There is a big difference between doing say one/two and making the choice from any of Peter's designs!

BEB

Advert

Sorry guys, I'm out.

I was looking forward to this years mass build, I built an Atom this year and it's one of my favourite models, it's different, I built it and it's pink! I was intending to pick one of PMs older designs as a summer evening cruiser but the five models chosen all look pretty much the same and certainly fill the same space in the hanger of a sport aerobat.

I wish everyone luck with their chosen models and look forward to seeing all the build threads!

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 07/11/2015 18:29:21:

I agree Simon there certainly could be scope for a PM retrospective maybe some time next year. The problem with now is that I'm not at all certain that enough activity exists to support two initiatives at once! I fear we would end up with two things each with indifferent support as opposed to one thing with good support. But time displaced from each other - yes that could be done.

BEB

Sure would be good to see it happen - trouble is now it will be "well we had Peter Miller as the mass build last year" smiley

I am afraid the choice does not really do it for me voting wise (no offence Peter) I did quite fancy the Turb or the Midget Mustang, and even the 0-Four9ier RF-4 glider. I will see how voting goes and see what comes out and see if i get inspired at all.

Cheers, Simon

Well, Ballerina is already clearly ahead, - it certainly looks like a pretty thing - with Werewolf and Oodalally closely contending the second spot.

Unless the voting trend turns completely on its head it looks like Harlequin and Dragon Dancer fans are destined to be disappointed

Posted by Levanter3 on 07/11/2015 17:44:47:

My own problem would arise if Werewolf came in as the choice as I don't build or own warbirds. No funny reason. I just much prefer all other genres.

I really don't follow the logic in that. The Werewolf isn't a warbird - is it? Surely it's just another aerobatic sports model, like the others, but one that simply happened to be dressed up as a fighter

There's nothing to stop any builder finishing a Werewolf in a civilian scheme, and/or doing a very easy tweak or two - open cockpit for instance? - that would "demilitarise" it if that's the builder's preference)

By the same token, any of the others could be very easily and convincingly finished as military aircraft, That doesn't make them "warbirds"

Edited By IanN on 07/11/2015 20:59:46

Posted by IanN on 07/11/2015 20:09:03:

Well, Ballerina is already clearly ahead, - it certainly looks like a pretty thing - with Werewolf and Oodalally closely contending the second spot.

Unless the voting trend turns completely on its head it looks like Harlequin and Dragon Dancer fans are destined to be disappointed

Oh its very early days yet! I've seen early leaders pipped by a late run up on the rails from an outsider before now!

BEB

I tend to agree with Levanter3, if you want it to be a 'mass build' more than one design would would attract people to participate. As far as catering for beginners is concerned I am surprised one of Peter's 'vintage designs' is not in there, like Watts Dog, The Big Ship or Sandow for instance. For some people only a 'scale model' will do (using the term loosely here) which is perhaps why the Tucano was so popular a couple of years ago? Both PM's Whitman Tailwind and his RF-4 appeal to me.

I bought the canopy to build a Werewolf some time ago but a house move meant that I never got around to starting the project. I was intending to give it a civilian 1930's style scheme though as the pseudo military scheme wasn't to my taste. A pity Miss Lizzy wasn't nominated by Peter as it is definitely on my 'must build' list and the MB would have been a good excuse. Perhaps it was left out as there isn't a CNC parts pack available?

Posted by John F on 08/11/2015 08:03:22:

I was hoping for different designs but with four low wing models I don't really know enough about them to choose.

What is the difference betwixt the Oodalally, Werewolf, Ballerina and Dragon dancer?

Edited By John F on 08/11/2015 08:15:08

John, I'd say it boils down to whichever you prefer the style and the look of. P.M's models all tend to follow the same tried and tested constructional formula - for good reason: it works! - and they all fly well.

In answer to Craig Thomas' question (tagged onto his vote in the voting thread - naughty boy wink 2) about the availability of the plan etc for the Ballerina.

We are told that Ballerina will appear in the December edition of the magazine. So not available yet - but should be available in time for the MB - IF it turned out to be the winner. This is certainly Peter's understanding. But of course magazine publishing is a very dynamic process, subject to changes outside of immediate control, so I will confirm this with David Ashby as soon as possible.

BEB

I personally would like to see a model that is easy to construct as an electric model as well as being designed as a IC model.

With a parallel wing, is very desirable, with a simple termination ie tip etc

An easy body to construct, with no stringers, no moulded/bent sheet etc.

The model so simple that repairs are easy for the least experienced modellers.

To round of the the specification, to fly well in inexperienced hands, yet capable of simple aerobatics or even raced about the sky.

The Swamp rat meets these ideals. On that basis that is my ideal.

In my opinion models particularly suited to IC flyers may float there boat, yet the majority on newcomers to RC models, tend to be electric modellers, at least initially, so may be deterred from joining in.

Hi Erf,

which ever model is chossen I intend to build an electric powered version. I'm sure that there will be others doing the same, as well of course as "standard" IC versions. So hopefully there will be plenty of guidance on how to "electrify" the subject or install an engine as you choose. smile

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 08/11/2015 18:53:03

I strongly suspect that PM would support the Harlequin as an ideal model. In as much it is one of PM simpler to build and fly models, yet with potential to satisfy the more experienced modeller. Also in my case more readily repaired, after those inevitable mishaps.

Perhaps if PM could be encouraged to identify the Harlequin as a model which meets all of his own views as to what is ideal for the MB?

Personally and rather sulkily it would have been the Dragon Dancer or the Swamp Rat for mecrying 2

You never know, if enough of us were to build a Harlequin, he might join us all at Greenacres.smiley You never know, he could be convinced that his next design should be a Gee Bee, or an Ike or something else that has character!

Although I have voted otherwise, perhaps it is an idea to let Peter decide which he thinks represents the best of his designs and the ideal MB model?

Edited By Erfolg on 09/11/2015 14:36:17

Posted by Erfolg on 09/11/2015 14:35:14:

I strongly suspect that PM would support the Harlequin as an ideal model. In as much it is one of PM simpler to build and fly models, yet with potential to satisfy the more experienced modeller. Also in my case more readily repaired, after those inevitable mishaps.

Perhaps if PM could be encouraged to identify the Harlequin as a model which meets all of his own views as to what is ideal for the MB?

Personally and rather sulkily it would have been the Dragon Dancer or the Swamp Rat for mecrying 2

You never know, if enough of us were to build a Harlequin, he might join us all at Greenacres.smiley You never know, he could be convinced that his next design should be a Gee Bee, or an Ike or something else that has character!

Although I have voted otherwise, perhaps it is an idea to let Peter decide which he thinks represents the best of his designs and the ideal MB model?

Edited By Erfolg on 09/11/2015 14:36:17

Erf - these already ARE PM's nominations! He selected them from his catalogue of designs for us to chose from.

BEB