Don't use ARGOS Drop for your parcels

Peter Miller

I bought an OS FS 40 Surpass on EBay. I wondered wefre it ws and then found it on my front porch which I never use. Then, to cap it all the parcel did not have the engine in it.

It seems that the seller took it along to Argos to deliver to me along with another oparcel, both correctly addressed in ink.

Argos put labels on but got them the worng way round. Very careless. Then they just dropped it at my front door. AS I had not left the house for Friday, Saturday, Sunday , Monday or Tuesday they had obviously just put it inthe porch without knocking on my door.

I am now trying to get my engine but the other buyer is away until the weekend. and I have six totally useless Fleet 35 Mthz receivers. awaiting a return postage label.

Advert

I 've used Argos just once for an eBay purchase and it worked very well. It was a new cycle rack pack so I just rode to the store I'd selected about 5 miles away and collected it. As I understand it the Argos option for eBay is intended for personal pick up, I assume for people who are usually at work when their post is delivered. I hadn't realised there is an option for door delivery which, it seems, is where Peter's problems occured.

Geoff

I don't think one occasion justifies a worldwide warning over using Argos. I've ordered twice and received twice in good order.

RCM&E magazine, however, . . . . . . . . My first ever subscription delivery failed three times. I have only just received the November edition yesterday!

Posted by Martyn Johnston on 19/11/2015 08:40:57:

I thought the ONLY point of the Argos thing was to pick it up at the store.

If they're going to deliver it to your house why not just have it posted ?

There's something spooky about this thread. Argos are a collection point for parcels, they don't deliver.

If it was dilivered to your door then it wasn't argos , you have to pick item up from a store you have chosen at time of order.. i have used it and all was fine and in that case the delivery option whould have been quicker but there would have to be sombody home to collect it , so it is a conveniant service.

mee thimk that the lables were put on by your seller. I think facts need to be checkedyes

My limited understanding is the seller despatches as normal to the specified Argos but with a unique Ebay reference number which identifies your parcel.

For me it simply avoids a missed delivery, but the best part is the trading hours of Argos allows me to collect at my convenience as my local post office collection has very limited opening hours which makes it very hard to collect whilst I'm working.

It's an interesting relationship with Ebay as there may be items bought from Ebay that are also available from Argos but I guess it's a retail footfall objective, I say this as I have succumbed to the occasional impulse purchase whilst collecting.

John

(it is also a choice made by the seller as to whether they engage in the Argos option, no idea if there is a "seller cost" involved)

Edited By John Milne on 19/11/2015 10:53:31

The seller has just informed me that he recieved an email from Argos telling him that it had been signed for at 15.41 on the 16 Nov. As I was lying on my bed just above the porch at that time I am pretty sure that the delivery man did not come upstairs.

The parcel clearly has the other buyers address on it in ink on one side and the argos label and yes, it is the Argos label on the opposite side. Which I will be returning to the seller.

Posted by Dai Fledermaus on 19/11/2015 10:21:14:

Have I missed something here or am I just a bit dim, because I don't understand the advantage of using Argos.

If you are a seller why not just take your parcel to a Post Office, and if you are a buyer, why go to Argos to collect it when you can have it delivered to your home address by Royal Mail?

Trouble is, if you miss the parcel delivery to your home for whatever reason or don't enjoy waiting around all day for an untracked item that can arrive over a window of several days, then picking it up at Argos when it's convenient for you is the main advantage. They send you an email or SMS when it's with them and keep it for a week or so before returning to sender. Not all Ebay sellers offer this option unfortunately.

You can, of course, collect undelivered stuff from the local RM depot, but my local one always has a twenty minute wait and parking nearby is next to impossible. Argos in the nearby shopping complex has free parking outside the door and if you go on mid-week afternoons, no queues for collection - in and out usually in a couple of minutes.

Edited By Cuban8 on 19/11/2015 12:44:32

Apparently you can hand a parcel in to Argos and UK Mail (NOT ROYAL MAIL) will chuck t on your doorstep. I am told that the driver claims he has a signature. Well anyone can scribble on the machine.

The packet clearly has the corect address that it is intended for written neatly in ballpoint on the opposite side to the Argos label. But of course you can't expect people to actually double check that they are putting labels on the right parcel. Just stick them on, youw ill get a parcel, who cares if you get £10 woth of old Recievers or an OS 40 Surpass, it is a parcel.