Tiger Moth traditional kit

Advert

Kits-wise keep a look out for an unbuilt Pilot Kits Tiger Moth, 47" wingspan. I test flew one with an OS20 two stroke in it, for the builder, and once trimmed it was a nice flier. You would need to set up a search on auction sites for one though and expect to find a few others bidding as they are nice kits.

This is what you are looking for: **LINK**

Plan preview here: http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=3522

Plans include Gordon Whitehead's which you can preview here: **LINK**

The plan for the Phil Smith's Veron 50" Tiger Moth are or were available from his son Colin at: [email protected]

There are several more on Outerzone mostly around 44" span

Edited By Robin Colbourne on 21/12/2015 21:07:35

Edited By Robin Colbourne on 21/12/2015 21:08:25

Edited By Robin Colbourne on 21/12/2015 21:20:08

Posted by pete startup on 22/12/2015 13:08:25:

http://www.rbckits.com/shop/tiger-moth-p878.html

This looks a nice one and is available from Sussex Model Centre if a little bit smaller than you want but ticks all the other boxes.

If your going to build a Tiger it has to have open structure with riblets - sorry DB.

I've got one of these and it's at the covering stage. The kit has beautifully CNC cut parts that fit precisely but there are no instructions and it's impossible to build as per the photo sequence and plan that's in the kit.

EG take a look at the 4th & 5th photo in the link. The 4th has the top decking in place. The 5th shows the cross bracing wires for the cabine going from the top rear through the center of the decking. The plan shows these wires need to be fixed to the bulkhead under the decking. It can't be done this way. A triumph of CAD design that has not been properly tested.

There are other gotcha's so only tackle if you have some experience and be prepared to do some redesign on the way. This is my 5th or 6th Tiger & I've struggled.

Posted by pete startup on 22/12/2015 13:08:25:

http://www.rbckits.com/shop/tiger-moth-p878.html

This looks a nice one and is available from Sussex Model Centre if a little bit smaller than you want but ticks all the other boxes.

If your going to build a Tiger it has to have open structure with riblets - sorry DB.

I'm almost certain the DB Moths do have riblets as standard. I got mine given to me part built so I never saw the original kit but I got a drawing from DB and there are riblets shown and they're on my wings. I almost wish there weren't because I've been putting off doing the simulated rib stitching for days and all I have to do is the top wing riblets

Geoff

I do indeed lurk around here occasionally, thanks Percy although I'd hesitate to put it in the frequent category angel

Not that it looks like I need to (thanks chaps), but I can confirm the larger Tiger Moth has riblets. The smaller one doesn't but they are shown on the plan as options and mentioned in the instructions in case preferred over the front sheeting.

If the discolouration (spelling?) is just on the Golden Brown colour it shouldn't be a problem, if it is any darker than this then yes it will need sanding, as the laser would have been travelling too slowly and scorched the wood and sealed the surface in effect, but if it is just the golden colour then all should be fine as the surface hasn't been sealed and glue penetration should still be good.

I have seen both the Pup and the SE5a by DB and neither showed any signs of scorching and went together perfectly. I don't know the Tiggie kits by him, but would guess they are just as good and worth every penny.

Charring isn't really an issue until you get to the thicker Balsa sheets or, mainly, the thicker plywood sheets. If the thin Balsa gets to anywhere near the charring stage then you'd best be stood ready with the squirty bottle of water (a very high tech but invaluable piece of our Fire Safety equipment). Generally it would result in the loss of at least the one sheet, probably more so is not a good thing to be aiming for. Besides, if you get to the charred stage on the thick Balsa you'll tend to see it takes on a bit of a concave shape where the material is vaporised, again, shortly followed by a trip to the wood waste bin.

As it's obviously a wood product, sometimes one end of the sheet is not the same density as the other end (or middle not the same as the edges, etc), in these scenarios one might have to run a light scalpel around a few bits or conversely some will be cut darker than we're aiming for. However, this only really happens on one thickness of board and then not very often. We sometimes need to use the weight/grade of wood where densities are an extra challenge. The really thick pieces either need laminating or we cut and shape them by hand. Obviously there are numerous other ways to do this which are constantly under review. The affected plywood is only really the 9mm stuff, a light sanding here is probably worthwhile.

Thanks very much guys, I'm off to build some more of my "redrawn for Laser" Tinker, well, at least that's my plan at the moment, No it's not available yet, mine is the prototype with a few slight amendments but still keeping mostly the same as the classic model (no rubber bands though). To do otherwise would be not be a good thing wink

I can only say thanks to all, so much info and sound advice. I have made my mind up, I'm going for a DB model. I. Would ideally like the larger one, but just depends how the funds are post Christmas! Thanks for all your advice again. Much appreciated as always.

Glyn.