a certificate

simpson j

Advert

The Acro Wot XL is advertised as 5.9kg.

The BMFA handbook says with regard to models between 7kg and 20kg

"(h) It is recommended that all ‘large model' pilots should hold the BMFA ‘B' certificate or its equivalent"

So unless you build very heavy an 'A' is fine.

You can fly any model under 20kg with or without an A cert or B cert subject to your local club rules. You just need to satisfy the basic requirements of failsafe if over 7kg or at any weight if available on your radio system. Never harms to have a certificate though, but no requirement.

The specs say 13lbs, so should be under 15.5lbs depending on the engine but you want to ensure you have sufficient power.

Posted by ChrisB on 26/12/2015 22:14:30:

I started flying in 1992, got my A cert in 2008 and my B in 2010 and I haven't changed my flying style at all I don't really give the A/B a second thought. I do everything in the A virtually every flight anyway.

It's all fun!

I think you have to do everything in the 'A' every flight anyway or you'd never take off or land I suppose you don't have to do a figure 8 or dead stick landing but really the 'A' dead stick is at a reasonable hight so it's not that difficult IIRC. And, as you say, it's still fun.

Geoff

Posted by ChrisB on 26/12/2015 22:14:30:

II do everything in the A virtually every flight anyway.

It's all fun!

Deadstick every flight - dodgy engines? wink

You have to wonder where this impression that the A test (and B) are licences come from. The BMFA take great pains to describe it as an achievement scheme and take every opportunity to correct any misapprehensions.

There is a school of thought that says that possession of a B is a good basis to illustrate that a pilot is reasonably competent to conduct a safe flight of a model over 7kg - perhaps useful in the event of any unfortunate incident where the CAA take an interest - but that doesn't mean it's compulsory in any way.

Just to be absolutely clear SJ, unless your club has a rule to the contary you can fly any model upto 20Kg with

1.no certificate al all

2. an A cert or

3. a B cert.

The certificates represent an achievement scheme - they are not licences or qualifications. (Although the CAA have some differences or opinion here where professional flying is concerned. But that need not bother you).

Anything in the BMFA handbook says about this is only guidance. Now it may be good guidance and I happen to believe it is, but it not the law or any sort of rule! It's advice. No one is making you comply, unless, as I stated, your club has particular local rules - which some do, mine being one such.

BEB

oh no not this again,,,,,, to the OP no you dont need any certs to fly (under 20kg),but if you are intending on flying a acro wot xl a very substantial airframe ,,having atleast an A would be very sensible ...As beb says they are achivement schemes not qualifications . when you are at a club ,flying ,observe peoples skills and im sure youll start to notice some who have a or b certs really shouldnt ....

Edited By ben goodfellow 1 on 27/12/2015 10:44:14

Posted by ben goodfellow 1 on 27/12/2015 12:46:55:

i was led to beleive informing ATC of over 7kg was just in restricted airspace .. maybe wrong ,, fly low

Correct, Ben. In Class A, C, D, or E airspace, permission of the appropriate air traffic control unit must be obtained (for models over 7kg.) and they may or may not impose height restrictions if they permit you to fly.

Outside of controlled airspace a 400 foot height limit applies. But as it's not controlled airspace then there is no appropriate air traffic control unit to notify, even if you wanted to.

Any over 20kg build is legally required to be registered with the LMA who will inspect it during construction and have it flight proven on behalf of the CAA under the ANO.

As for the pilot, providing he is is not "reckless or negligent" (pretty much a catch all) I don't believe any legal or formal flying qualifications are actually required. Mind you, I'd imagine a few LMA eyebrows would be raised when a guy turns up to discuss his 1/5 scale B17 project after just mastering his Hobbyking foamy!

Edited By Cuban8 on 27/12/2015 14:10:30

So............in theory, and if you had deep enough pockets, you could have your 1/5 scale B17 built for you, inspected and signed off as required, get the required insurance and then have the tranny handed to you by an experienced pilot........all with only a foamy under your belt? Providing you didn't crash or cause mayhem, you'd be in the clear..............I think?

Edited By Cuban8 on 27/12/2015 14:20:33