No room at the Inn

just found my self returning to power flying after being a slopes for some years here in Worcester off the Malvern's, I contacted my previous club to only find that there's no room and there's a waiting list, I was taught the art of club awareness and the safety and importance of being in a club but my concern is that this issue of club maximum numbers is a knock effect of club closures due to local authorities and will only push more (modern day) folk to fly where they feel putting more pressure on the hobby, I have aswell I'm sure you have, seen many an illegal flyer in built up or park areas and by god these idiots actually post their antics on YouTube, some recently at perdiswell near my old flying site that the council took from us. When will this madness end.

Advert

Club membership invariably starts 1st Jan to be the same as BMFA membership year. Hence there are very few or no vancancies late in the year in many clubs but almost always vacancies at 1st Jan or maybe a month or so after to allow existing members to rejoin. Try contacting the club about Jan 1st.or if that fails then Feb 1st.

You might also influence the club to favour you rather than others if you are local and / or you have an A certificate and don't need training.

Posted by Dave Bufton on 27/12/2015 22:56:10:

I contacted my previous club to only find that there's no room and there's a waiting list,

Nothing new or unusual in well run clubs having waiting lists.

It's also not unusual for clubs to do reviews every now and again to check whether they could replace any "dead wood" (term not meant unkindly - just those members who haven't been active for a good while and , on checking with them - may well on reflection decide they will not be returning to the hobby) so freeing up space for new blood.

So, get your name down, and keep in close contact with the committee and/or membership secretary so that they know you're keen

Or, as Ken says, check out others in your local area

Many thanks for the feed back, I used to help run Worcester Model aero club back in the early 90's and we couldn't get enough people.

It's my fault really for being late but it's frustrating to see people flying illegally when I can't fly due to waiting lists.

I'll get my self back in as a guest flyer a few times, I'm an A certificate holder and flown for around 30 years so I can offer lots of experience of club running a etc, so maybe I'll get some favouritism from one of my local clubs. Thanks agin for your advise.

Without wishing to sound rude Dave if the local clubs are full then it sounds as if they won't be needing any advice on running the show as they seem to have done ok in the 20 odd years you have been away.

Many clubs have a waiting list and if your not on it then you will never get in. This is prime time for vacancies as members decide on renewals etc so why not wait & see how things pan out over the next couple of months ? Stepping on people's toes isn't ever going to go down well despite how well natured your intentions.

Edited By Justin K. on 28/12/2015 16:42:48

Posted by iqon on 28/12/2015 17:00:22:

waiting lists ......why ???

how many times a year do all members turn up to fly on same day........?

10% if you are lucky.......

Lots if it's good flying weather & the clubs site has restricted flying times.

Also if a club is turning over enough money to run and keep some for emergencies  (mowers etc) then an open membership just isn't necessary. 

Edited By Justin K. on 28/12/2015 17:17:33

Dave,

I can remember my dad taking me to the Perdiswell flying site when I was about 8, there was a gent there experimenting with autogyros with swash plate heads. Some how or another this has lodged itself in the grey matter.

You need to speak to Andy Green? I think he is a member of several flying sites in Worcester. Failing that there is the Severn Spinners club about 12 miles away in Kidderminster if you are ok with travelling, that said you could be turned to the dark side if you join wink 2

Rich

I think the only reason for waiting lists is to 'control' the level of beginners needing assistance if a club is stretched for instructors. That's the case in my club. If someone can demonstrate that they can fly up to the equivalent of an A, then we'll take them, as the funds are always welcome and of our 80 members we only ever see the same 40.

It depends on how busy our instructors are to some extent.

As others have said, its the wrong time of year to have a waiting list, we suspend ours until March/April once we know how many renewals we'll get.

All valid points, I do t want to go in shouting I'm the best because I know I'm no where near the best, I've been a club flyer since 1988 in Worcester and helped set up speechless model aero club when Worcester model aero club got kicked off the site we occupied since 1908 ish, the oldest club in the world I believe, they turned it into a 18hole golf club! And for that reason I hate golf. I understand there has to be limits but as some of you say when the club in question, when I have flown there in the past there's only about 5 on a good day, I just don't understand how they are full with 70 members when o lay around 15 go to the meetings and only 5 turn up each week if the wether is perfect, the only time I saw a lot there was when they had a bbq a few years ago and then only three of us flew as the rest could barely walk let alone kneel down to start one up. I tried saying in a previous meeting that surely one flying members shouldn't have an effect on numbers but they still do so it ends up as an meeting place to talk rather than fly, it's a poor state of affairs, I might just stay a member of Malvern hills soaring association and sell up my power.

I'm going to try again as absolutely love my hobby, the only reason for leaving pier originally was that it's a lot less effort going slope soaring as I have a young family and no time on my hands and malvern is on the door step but my real love is power.

I really appreciate all of your veiws and suggestions, I'll keep chiselling away

Posted by Dave Bufton on 27/12/2015 22:56:10:

just found my self returning to power flying after being a slopes for some years here in Worcester off the Malvern's, I contacted my previous club to only find that there's no room and there's a waiting list, I was taught the art of club awareness and the safety and importance of being in a club but my concern is that this issue of club maximum numbers is a knock effect of club closures due to local authorities and will only push more (modern day) folk to fly where they feel putting more pressure on the hobby, I have aswell I'm sure you have, seen many an illegal flyer in built up or park areas and by god these idiots actually post their antics on YouTube, some recently at perdiswell near my old flying site that the council took from us. When will this madness end.

Errr... "Illegal flyers"? "Modern day folk"? "When will this madness end"? For an allegedly experienced pilot you seem keen to scaremonger. Are you pining for "the good old days" where it was harder for newcomers to get started and there were no helis or multirotors? You also seem somewhat misinformed when it comes to current UK laws used to regulate model flying, namely the ANO and CAP 658.

I am a member of multiple clubs myself, but also operate as a lone flier in parks and other public spaces regularly, including slope sites. It is perfectly possible to fly legally and responsibly in such locations with a quiet electric model or glider - simply follow the CAP and you will be fine. Yes there are some locations where a local bylaw specifically prevents or limits flying, but elsewhere with modern equipment and a common sense attitude safe flying outside of a club is perfectly possible. If it were not 99% of slope flying would be illegal for a start!

As to the "idiots" to whom you refer... Well, I have seen plenty in my ~30 years in the hobby, and as many have been inside clubs as outside. Overflying the pits, poorly prepared and preflighted models, bad decision making in the circuit, safety rules that don't apply to committee members... it all happens. Are there newcomers flying in parks without sufficient knowledge? Of course, and there always have been. But let's not pretend everything in clubs is perfect, or that a realistic panacea is all pilots flying only in a club setting. Modern equipment has rendered that completely implausible - instead it's a mixture of comprehensive point of sale and post sale education and strong enforcement when people do break the rules that will maintain our access.

Edited By MattyB on 28/12/2015 23:52:30

I understand what you are saying Matty - and I must admit a first reading through David's post did raise my hackles a bit. But reading through it again, and being fair to him, I do not believe he is suggesting that everyone who flys outside of a club in a park is flying illegally and/or an idiot. I think that the "idiot" comment was aimed at some of the stupid behaviour we have all seen promoted on YouTube by an uninformed and stupid minority. In my view it would be just as wrong to suggest these people don't exist as it would be to suggest that everyone outside the club scene is one of them!

Just on a point of detail - I feel that th term "illegal" does get thrown around a bit too much in connection with model flying. For example CAP 658 is not the law - it is guidance. OK, its guidance written by the people who did write the law (ie the CAA and the ANO respectively) but only the ANO is the law and has the power of regulation.

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 28/12/2015 23:49:39

Matty, I'm not sure that Dave was attacking everyone who doesn't fly in a club environment. But it has to be said that by flying in a club setting provides an established set of local rules and practices that allows a newcomer into the hobby in a more structured way, reducing the weekly crash and re-build that an individual may face by trying to go it alone and allows people to go through a structured training schedule to help them avoid the issues you raise. Equally, by being in a club these days, it allows for a more robust defence against the kill joy authorities. I accept that clubs can be disbanded and get planning and noise conditions placed upon them, equally non-club groups of a few flyers in a field can also have that and perhaps have less power. Clubs have their faults and their idiots, the same as non-clubs.

It also depends on what you fly. A foamy glider in a large and empty local park is ok if flown by a competent person, if not competent, then I can tell you from experience even a foamy glider with the prop stopped hurts your shins when it goes out of control and hits you.

I'm new to this forum and it's fabulous to have such varied responses, I didn't think I would have any, I started off wrong I suppose and it came out as a rant rather than what I really wanted to discuss and I apologise for this, I'm not attacking all flyers, it's the minority, I love the hobby as you all do and I would hate to be disliked due my little rant, I didn't come across as I wanted to as I've put people's backs up, which wasn't my intentions, sorry again. I won't apologise for the fact that people who fly out of the control of BMFA or other such bodies in inappropriate places are putting a strain on our hobby and think it's ok and they don't care, I know someone who does this and won't pay for insurance (BMFA who's that?), club fees etc because he says he safe enough with out it and can't afford it. Again it's not a global rant it's just an observation!

Just for the record the club I originally talked about being full is not Worcester Model Aero Club, they are my next port of call, they have two fields I recently was informed of, and one of the fields about 1.5 miles from and I didn't even know, must be all electric, but there's a lot of trees around here blanking out sound, I hope the Inn keeper can find space for a despairing flyer.

The timeline for this event was as follows:

You first contacted the ex secretary of the club at 1526 on the 27th December who stated that the membership was full at present and there was a waiting list. However he did state that he would pass on your details to the new secretary who was away for xmas. Your first forum post was at 2256 on the same day and therefore you did not even give time for anyone to consider the matter.

I would state that firstly if you are going to post a degree of abuse about a club and its members, name the relevant club so that they can offer a reply, or better still approach the club Chairman and they may explain the intricacies of that particular club to you, and why they have a restricted membership number . You make no friends by posting abuse such as 'and then only three of us flew as the rest could barely walk let alone kneel down to start one up'. Some of those individuals that you refer to may be a little older than others and possibly frail in some of the joints but they are the very people that were 20 year olds in the past; well qualified with a great deal of experience to pass onto the new members and beginners. You should respect age we will all be old one day and it should not be a barrier to being a flying member of a club.

Secondly the membership numbers of clubs is generally set by the members themselves and it is often for a good reason. You don't want to be queuing to fly, you need to respect neighbours that live near to flying fields so the noise levels have to be controlled, and finally perhaps if you do not own the flying site but rent such, then there are restrictions regarding the number of cars etc that the field can take.

Yes as people get older and maybe do not fly, they should consider stepping aside and becoming a social member or guest flyer so that the club can take in new members, and in particular some younger members so that the club continues to thrive over the longer term.

However the basic premise of most clubs that I know is that they are run by the members for the members and if they decide to restrict membership and have a waiting list then so be it. I emphasise you have made no friends with your comments and perhaps you would be better suited to a club elsewhere if you are speaking about Bromyard Model Flyers!

Posted by the Treasurer on behalf of the committee members of Bromyard Model Flyers

FANTASTIC, WHAT A RESULT, THANKS ANDY

Kevin the chap I know of and the friend he flys with are not of the same moral fibre as us, they blatantly disregard rules and regs etc it's those I'm against as the rest of us should be as they are the ones that give us bad press, I've said nothing wrong here it's observations that annoy me as it effects our hobby, and I'm one for long live RC, I understand you can fly in other places other than clubs, I'm not stupid it's just the fact that some do it in places that are built up, small parks etc, I'm fully aware that some quad operators are CAA approved for flying in built up areas but a lot aren't it's the later that will cause problems and tighten the rules on the ones that do operate within the rules as they are the easiest target, those that comply always end up paying for those that don't.