Cutting Up A Plan. Is It Sacrilege?

Advert

I usually photocopy the ribs, formers etc and then use the copies to make these parts. I trace the wing plan onto thick tracing paper for building over, this can be reversed for building the second wing half. The same approach can be taken for the fuselage and formers spacing.

Having said all that I find that the plans from the magazine tend to fall apart along the creases towards the end of my builds due to repeated folding and unfolding and the quality of the paper used.

BBC, you have it dead right! Working on separate bits of the plane takes some of the boredom away from the repetitive tasks.

However I always take a copy of the plan first and cut that one up. That way I can scribble all over it, drop glue on it and sketch any improvements, modifications or downright silly alterations without feeling guilty over plan desecration.

I also have a nice clean plan to refer to when the inevitable repairs take place later on.frown

Happy New Year guys!

Posted by Dai Fledermaus on 28/12/2015 12:30:48:

I've not done it myself, but I've often seen it suggested in Magazines, that cutting up a plan so that you, for example, can build the wings on a separate sheet, can be more convenient than trying to build from a complete plan.

What do you normally do?

Your plan, your build, so not sacrilege at all - do it however you want to thumbs up

I personally prefer not to cut plans, but do scan and copy a no of key components that I might want to be getting on with whilst the plan is in use for other parts of the build. Say fus formers, whilst I'm building the wing, e.g. However, something in the Scanner and printing process does seem to have the unfortunate habit of ever so slightly resizing the subject so - having been caught out by this once - I always check and measure carefully every time I use this method

I certainly cut up plans to make the build easier but take care that no detail is lost and I save the plan anyway rolled up in its separate parts. I don't see it as anything but sensible because it avoids damaging it by continual folding etc. Difficult to do with plans printed on both sides of the paper like the free ones in the magazine.

Geoff

Plans I've had are usually larger than a single building board. So I carefully cut up plans so I can build individual model parts on 2 or 3 building boards and then I'm not stuck waiting for example the fuz to be finished before I can start on the wings or tailplane. Depends also of course on how the drawings on the plan is laid out. If done carefully the plan can then be re-used.

Great idea guys about having the plan copied if not too expensive ! Have to look into that ..... wink

Ronaldo

Not really silly. If you used the plans when they were cut into their separate parts the first time you can do it for the second. When I stuffed my original Limbo Dancer kit built model I scratch built another from the plans and I could build a third if I need to. All the kit plans I have are single-sided anyway. It's only free plans that are printed on both sides that I've ever used. Are the plans that are bought separately the same? I would hope they're printed on heavier grade paper and preferably on one side only.

Geoff

Personally I always cut plans up into manageable bits, if possible, to fit building boards. Especially separate out the fuselage top view so I can tape it onto the jig baseboard.

No copy shops anywhere near me any more, so I trace parts if I need to.

I store the bits rolled up in Xmas wrapping paper cardboard tubes.

Norm

I never cut up original plans, for the double sided free plans you destroy something when you do so.

For Ballerina I've photocopied the parts on the A4 printer at home then taped the sheets together so I've got a perfect copy of the fus, separate wing, tail and formers. My printer gives spot on size for size copy, unfortunately it will not do a reverse image -for the other wing

Trace onto grease proof paper you can see from both sides with it. Rub both sides with a candle and glue will not stick to it Silicone / parchment paper is stronger and already non-stick but a bit harder to see through This is the cheapest way to do multiple copies. Takes a bit longer but it also takes time to go to a printer/ copy shop LOL *I never tried printing on grease proof but it may be doable with the right inks Just a few thoughts