Chris's Bella Ballerina HD

McG 6969

Advert

Definitely cheaper, Martyn.

I read about a French modeling designer who is updating his older designs from the seventies with more recent techniques & he uses laminates a lot. Specially combining Depron with balsa for example for shear webs & even lightweight ribs. My cross-grain idea came from his tutorials.

I'm going to use the Deply for different parts of the Bella as I wrote Peter.

Thanks for your comments.

Hakuna matata

BRU - BE / CTR Deply3 Control

Hello again,

I forgot to mention that I could have used the ‘Deply’ for my fuselage sides & the battery bottom… Quite a bit (lot?) lighter than the birch ply. Ppfff… another ‘main’ lesson learned… blush

As they say in Colin’s Black Country’s very own dialectics: “Once you go Deply, them is nowt to worreye”… wink

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Deply4 Control

Thanks for commenting, John.

You're right, it's a lot of fun to experiment with.

In a former life, I use to work quite a bit with composites (cfr my public profile, please) but in full scale and not with Depron of course. wink

We used to often work with 'honeycomb' structures sandwiched between GF or Carbon to get very lightweight but rock solid laminates. In fact, the basic idea is the same as with my 'Deply' here, the Depron & ply just having to replace the real life composites. Of course you can cover the foam with balsa as well.

If, for example, you take a piece of Depron whatever thickness - or just a 'free' pizza under tray - & cover it both sides with laminating vinyl film (about 40-45 micron thickness) , you will be amazed by the difference in strength of that laminate. surprise Just try it...

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Pizza Control

Hello everybody,

I definitely inverted my correct building sequence by gluing the carbon fibre strip to the plybox instead of gluing it to the fuselage side first and then bringing it to the plybox all together. Another lesson learned…

Thus it was a bit tricky to align it correctly, but as Danny wrote, at the end all went well.

I clamped the fuse to the building board and measured (maybe too much?) the best I could to get a correct side symmetry & motor mount angle. Time will tell after curing…

477_fuseside01_900.jpg

Don’t tell The LotH but some of the clamps are not mine. Hard to notice anyway!

Now it looks like “Forrest Clamp”… err… or is that the title of a novel written by Winston Groom? …

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Forrest Control

Hi to all,

When I received my SLEC order - instantly becoming official sponsor of Royal Mail - I was really surprised by the size of the bottle of Aliphatic glue.

As I suspected, when I used it the first time for the fuselage sides, it handled with the same ease as a full gallon jar!

So, decision was made to protect my wrists from further injury and to decant it in a small bottle with thin sprout obtained from our SZX friends.

465_aliphatic_mini_900.jpg

What’s the best trick here? How are you guys handling it?

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR SZX Control

... oops, ... sorry, correction here.

... when I wrote "with the same ease as a full gallon jar", I ment of course "with the same ease of a 4 gallon jerrycan"... blush

... still some problems with those metric & etcetera conversions, I'm afraid.

Hakuna (sometimes) matata wink

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Conversion Control

Posted by McG 6969 on 05/02/2016 19:16:44:

Hi to all,

When I received my SLEC order - instantly becoming official sponsor of Royal Mail - I was really surprised by the size of the bottle of Aliphatic glue.

As I suspected, when I used it the first time for the fuselage sides, it handled with the same ease as a full gallon jar!

So, decision was made to protect my wrists from further injury and to decant it in a small bottle with thin sprout obtained from our SZX friends.

What’s the best trick here? How are you guys handling it?

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR SZX Control

Very simple. I have a 112 gram bottle and a 500 gram bottle and I decant from the big bottle into the small one when it is empty.

I also smear Vaseline round the neck of the small bottle and insde the cap because after some time it builds up with dried glue and becomes difficult to open.

Thanks for your tips, Peter.

I already thought the 500ml bottle was quite 'unhandy'. frown

So, glad as a newcomer to be confirmed, at least by you, that I'm not the only one on this forum.

And the vaseline trick seems great, even on my small tiny Asian bottle, although even on the cheap side, their cover lip seem to be some 'unsticky' silicone stuff. Very nice quality... smiley

Thank you for your comment...

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Aliphatic Jerrycan Control

Edited By McG 6969 on 05/02/2016 21:53:00

Thanks for obviously not noting  about  ' the colored LotH's clamps', Andy. wink

And yes, Peter's 'vaseline' idea remains one to note on a filed or dedicated post-it collection, like I do, writing everything down on common  paper ... or, why not,  even maybe creating a dedicated Excel file for it.... but too much for me, though, that Excel file, .  frown

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Vaseline Control

Edited By McG 6969 on 05/02/2016 23:13:17

Posted by McG 6969 on 05/02/2016 13:03:00:

Hello everybody,

I definitely inverted my correct building sequence by gluing the carbon fibre strip to the plybox instead of gluing it to the fuselage side first and then bringing it to the plybox all together. Another lesson learned…

Thus it was a bit tricky to align it correctly, but as Danny wrote, at the end all went well.

I clamped the fuse to the building board and measured (maybe too much?) the best I could to get a correct side symmetry & motor mount angle. Time will tell after curing…

477_fuseside01_900.jpg

Don’t tell The LotH but some of the clamps are not mine. Hard to notice anyway!

Now it looks like “Forrest Clamp”… err… or is that the title of a novel written by Winston Groom? …

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Forrest Control

Dear MotH,

Soooo... there are my washpins! Been looking for them all over the place... If your socks are not washed and dried, don't blame me... Guess I'm hanging the 'dirty laundry' out now! Oh noooo... can't even do that. No washpins! I guess I'll give them to you for your upcoming birthday. Your fusselage looks good but next time, at least leave me the blue pins.

Lot(h)s of love,

Iris  CTR Laundry Control

Edited By Iris Vieghe on 06/02/2016 09:41:35

Hi again,

After curing I could remove the ‘forrest’ and have a first close look at the joints.

481_fusesides02_900.jpg

As I haven’t mounted F5 nor the top part of F6 already, I was able to reverse the fuse and rest it on the CF strips. After clamping, I could measure the side and downtrust with the ‘clinometer app’ on the smartphone. The lateral inclination was perfectly 0°… yappie!

The vertical one showed 0,8°. Which should mean -0,8° with the fuselage in ‘normal position’. So I created myself a downtrust of nearly 1°. I think I can live with that, especially that my motor is going to be stud-mounted and any possible adjustment can be made later. “Very pleased with this result”, Your Honour…

Well, it also seems that I’m clamped with my birthday present already. Maybe I would have preferred a 60W Laser Cutter or a nice CNC Router, but then there is a lot of them ‘washpins’… hmm… could also have been worse with some toothpicks instead!

Thanks in advance, Dear LotH…

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Clinometer Control

Edited By McG 6969 on 06/02/2016 12:45:31

Thanks for visiting, John.

Well, I might have a problem around here, somehow, somewhere...

Peter & Chris B already wrote that they were watching but also were waiting till I should show 'something' that they could "recognize" in my build... blush

Now you are - in a very gentle way - writing me that it will "look great with a fuzz stuck to it". Thank you for that. But the fact is that THIS IS my fuselage. sad

The sides only need some fine sanding and a few pieces of Solartex or equivalent. I hope that when I have the hatch in position and the tailplanes added, it will not look like a U-boot anymore... ???

Whhaaa... all those people are still thinking that I'm building a 'submarine'... crying

Matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR U-boot Control

Posted by McG 6969 on 06/02/2016 15:18:11:

Now you are - in a very gentle way - writing me that it will "look great with a fuzz stuck to it". Thank you for that. But the fact is that THIS IS my fuselage. sad

Matata

Chris

laugh Put yer foot in it there didn't you John! wink

But I'll admit I still don't see a fuselage as I know it! I can see a motor mount, a wing seat and possibly a spot at the back where a pilot may be sitting! Is the tail plane being fitted to the two carbon strips? Is the fin/rudder just glued 90 degrees to the tail plane? The back of the fuzz still looks very 2 dimensional.

Now I'm baffled! Help! blush

Posted by Craig Thomas on 06/02/2016 14:34:39:
That looks very nicely put together Chris. Are you sure this is your first build? It's my first build and I've got excess glue and gaps all over the place. Lol. I'm a little envious. 👍👍

Due to the tumult here, I didn't saw your post right away. Sorry for that, Craig.

Yes, it is my very first build of an RC model, no "spoofy tale" here. I'm trying to pay attention to scrape the glue away right away (thanks to Lucas for his advice) after getting the parts together. Easy to do with a popsicle stick cut at 90°. No need to be envious though, the first parts I glued are really 'messy'. blush

.. and it just could be my last build as well, since some Musketeers entered to Ballerina scene...

I can feel the roots of a very well organised conspiracy from some 'old balsa bashers' against the Bella! surprise

Wondering now if I should ask Gaston to start interfering with his natural 'disaster abilities'... ??? indecision

Hakuna matata, Craig

Chris

CTR - BE / CTR Conspiracy Control

Posted by Chris Barlow on 06/02/2016 15:56:43:
Posted by McG 6969 on 06/02/2016 15:18:11:

Matata

Chris

laugh Put yer foot in it there didn't you John! wink

But I'll admit I still don't see a fuselage as I know it! I can see a motor mount, a wing seat and possibly a spot at the back where a pilot may be sitting! Is the tail plane being fitted to the two carbon strips? Is the fin/rudder just glued 90 degrees to the tail plane? The back of the fuzz still looks very 2 dimensional.

Now I'm baffled! Help! blush

You are not the only one Chris. I get a picture of a sort of pod and boom model flying along with the tail waving around like a dolphin's tail!!

Posted by McG 6969 on 06/02/2016 18:36:27:
Posted by Craig Thomas on 06/02/2016 14:34:39:
That looks very nicely put together Chris. Are you sure this is your first build? It's my first build and I've got excess glue and gaps all over the place. Lol. I'm a little envious. 👍👍

Due to the tumult here, I didn't saw your post right away. Sorry for that, Craig.

Yes, it is my very first build of an RC model, no "spoofy tale" here. I'm trying to pay attention to scrape the glue away right away (thanks to Lucas for his advice) after getting the parts together. Easy to do with a popsicle stick cut at 90°. No need to be envious though, the first parts I glued are really 'messy'. blush

.. and it just could be my last build as well, since some Musketeers entered to Ballerina scene...

I can feel the roots of a very well organised conspiracy from some 'old balsa bashers' against the Bella! surprise

Wondering now if I should ask Gaston to start interfering with his natural 'disaster abilities'... ??? indecision

Hakuna matata, Craig

Chris

CTR - BE / CTR Conspiracy Control

laugh

Don't be put off Chris. I did say I was trying to hold back my many questions to see if they're answered in the next post. yes

Keep going, I'm intrigued. laugh

Hello to the Musketeers,

... at least it's not supposed to be a U-boot anymore...

... but something more looking like a playing Flipper...

Progression made, no doubt. indecision

Hakuna matata, Gaston

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Dolphin Control

Edited By McG 6969 on 06/02/2016 18:56:07