Chris's Bella Ballerina HD

McG 6969

Well yes, It will be quite a challenge for me, Peter.

On the other hand, if you have a look at my public profile, you'll see that at least I have some experience with buildings things like vintage and race cars, small aircraft & composites in general, even being it full scale at the time.

I guess my fat fingers are going to tell me if I'm able or not to achieve this with models... blush

Thanks for visiting & cheers

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Fat Fingers Control

The sanding device Chris showed yesterday is a variation of what carpenters call a 'shooting board' while the clamp is a bit unusual but is available from Axminster. It's called a 'spigot clamp' ( clamp or cramp - it's the same )

However i would not recommend buying the spigot clamp just for that - it's so much easier to fix a batten underneath at right angles so that it catches on the edge of the bench. Rather like a carpenters 'bench hook'. Make a traditional bench hook as well as it's very useful for sawing.

Hi kc,

So, it looks like I 're-invented' the shooting board then. Well, I wasn't in fact inventing anything but just came to the idea after trying the 'twisting-jar-sanding-device'. wink

I only took a few bits together that were laying around. The 'spigot clamp' (thanks for the new word) was part of a old desk lamp I disposed of years ago. But I use it often to temporarily block whatever needs to or just drill a 8mm hole in 'things' you want to keep in place... et voilà.

Your fuselage jig has to stay on top of my list but note was taken concerning the bench hook as well. angel

Another very useful piece of equipment is an aircraft engineer's field vice that easily clamps to a bench or whatever is flat. It's made of Dural alloy & offers a quick release mechanism.

Thanks for improving my English vocabulary. So far I'm just a "fudging bodger", you know... frown

Cheers

BRU - BE / CTR Dialectics Control

Quite lucky for me that you're adding some explanations as well, kc. smiley

Just looking at the pic, I first thought it was some pre-victorian torture instrument discovered at the Tower's Museum... surprise

Cheers

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Tower Control (well, that sounds familiar...)

Hello everybody,

As I didn’t get the opportunity to make it to ‘La Grotte’ this weekend, I did spend some time at working on my ‘learning curve’ with Photoshop.

000_ballerina_caution.jpg

Nothing spectacular, though progressing a bit. Anyway, Gaston will be quite surprised…  wink

By the way, the WRC of Monaco ended with a podium for Belgian factory driver Thierry Neuville! Well done, young man.  yes

Cheers & a great end of the weekend to everyone.

Chris

BRU – BE / CTR WRC Control

Edited By McG 6969 on 24/01/2016 19:30:56

... OOOHHH, sorry Peter ! surprise

...  just thought to have noticed > Ogier 1st, Mikkelsen 2nd & Thierry 3rd... OOPS !!!

... but maybe then it was an 'urban legend' or I had an 'early senior moment' again... blush

... apologies accepted, I hope...

Cheers

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Senior Moment Control

Edited By McG 6969 on 24/01/2016 22:06:25

Hello all,

I wasn’t able to do much at ‘La grotte’ today really, some unexpected duties and also fulfil our legal yearly ‘Contrôle Technique’ for the car (some kind of Belgian APK, I guess). sad

So, I just got a couple of hours on that final sanding of the main box parts that still needed it & starting a dry fit of all the ‘gents’. Still some adjustments to do but at least no parts had to be binned (whew !!!). The fuse sides are ready as well but I prefer to complete the last parts totally fitting with each other before gluing anything.

On the way, I also decided to cut off the upper part of F6 allowing me to be able to put the built fuse upside down when building the main ply box. Newbie’s stupidity or not? … Only time will tell.

By the way, no pics this time, as this absent minded chap forgot to take the camera along… blush

Cheers

Chris

BRU – BE / CTR Camera Control

PS: @ Peter > Are you forgiving me my cry of joy concerning the Monaco WRC ??? ...

Edited By McG 6969 on 25/01/2016 18:51:10

Hi again,

A few days ago, I decided about the registration of the Bella as I always felt that in one’s life it could be an ‘intensive’ moment.

After a great deal of brainstorming, the decision fell on PM – 169.

Not ‘PM’ for Personal Message nor Petr Millaricz (remember?) but simply for… you know!

No worries, the international ‘PM’ aircraft country registration doesn’t even exist. No official FAA claim or inquiry will be entered. Mmmhh, - ‘spoofy’ - remember?

The sum of the numbers strangely is ‘16’, appearing to be a nice year for this MB. And, even more ‘bizarre’ the 2 last figures are also the ones of my nickname… wink

I also took a quite standard Chipmunk control panel for the Bella’s ‘office’ (as BEB insisted that, this year, they ‘all’ should be better than his...) , modified it a little & adapted the dimensions to the Ballerina cockpit measures… also added the brand new aircraft registration, of course.

000_ballerina dashboard_900.jpg

If one of the Mass Builders would like to use it without the Bella registration, please feel free. I uploaded a ‘generic’ example in a specific album of my profile, so you just have to grab it from there. Format is not enormous but resolution is 300 dpi & more than enough for an 83mm print out. Some kind of nice word – or bad remark - would then be welcome , naturally.

Cheers

Chris

BRY BE / CTR Registration Control

Edited By McG 6969 on 25/01/2016 21:42:06

Dear Chris,

Just to inform you that your dinner might be getting a tiny little bit cold.

I was calling you from out of the kitchen but apparently your ears are where your eyes are: at this quite interesting blog. I think I am going to visit from time to time.

Anyways, just to let you know that your burger can be reheated at 500W for about one minute.

What am I doing? You are the tech-wizz so I'm not having to explain to you the functioning of my micro-wave.

Enjoy the meal a lot.

Lots of love,

Iris aka The LotH

Bojour Iris, aka The LotH, and welcome to the MB16

Thanks for sharing the culinary taste, as well as tech skills, of the builder of the HD Ballerina. Although I agree that it's slightly out of topic, it help to create a full profile of Mr BRU - BE / CTR whatever Control wink

Posted by McG 6969 on 26/01/2016 11:39:11:

Regarding the idea of creating my "full profile", I'm not convinced that revealing it publicly would mean a big step forward for humanity, you know... surprise

Of course it is. Your "lateral" thinking, creativity, and sense of humor should be an example for many of us! wink

Hey to all,

I had some kind of small progression today with the Bella.

All components for the main ply box are finally sanded & adjusted to each other.

391_family_ply_900.jpg

Of course, Gaston managed to ‘inverse’ the direction of the 2 sides for the picture… angel

The total weight of all the pieces, included the bottom part of F6 & the 2 carbon strips for the tail = 172,4g.

396_totalweight_900.jpg

Unfortunately, there is nothing to compare to in regard with other Ballerina builds but I’m intended to weight it again when glued. Just curious about the weight once assembled.

The weight for the 2 CF strips only equals 14g, except when Gaston manages to put his feet on the scale... frown

404_carbonweight_900.jpg

I’m thinking about eventually adding a third one at the bottom of the fuselage. Joining the wing mount plate at F6 to the tail & tail wheel reinforcement aft F10. Thus forming a solid 'triangle' with the two lateral ones. We’ll see when the moment arises.

Cheers

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR CF Control