Chris's Bella Ballerina HD

McG 6969

Hi there,

I was quite pleased to discover the monster, John. I've been playing with both the tension and the speed of the blade. Just more practice needed now. wink

And you're right, Peter. But one should mount them on the machine & not leaving the rubber feet in the box ! blush

Concerning my fuselage sides, I've been marking each corner of the triangles for drilling (6mm) before sawing the sides.

Regarding the round carbide blade, I really don't know. Large curves aren't a problem at all, but probably different with small radii. I'll stop at the hardware shop on my way to 'La Grotte' and give it a try.

Cheers

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Rubber Feet Control

Hi again,

Back to the scrollsaw.

A few parts have been internally sawed & a few others already pre-drilled for sawing.

358_plyboxparts_ 03_900.jpg

No final sanding yet, except F0 Mk2 (motormount) which seems a bit more precise than Mk1. Maybe I should make a third one… indecision

361_plyboxparts_ 04_900.jpg

At some corners of the formers, the paper template is coming slightly off, so perhaps a little more spray in the future? A few pieces of Sellotape became a solution for now. Anyway I prefer this issue than struggling to be able to get the paper off properly. wink

More sawdust later

Cheers

Chris

BRU – BE / CTR Mk2 Control

Scroll saws.

Old fashioned manual typewriters usually had a thick felt pad that went underneath to absorb noise. If you can find one that is ideal for a scroll saw to stop vibration. Or thick felt or carpet pad ( carpet shop samples? )

Blades need maximum tension ( depending on blade thickness ) and you can 'tune' them by listening to the sound they make when plucked.

Cutting straight lines is difficult. It is easier to cut the main stright lines by hand with an ordinary fine tooth saw - especially the japanese type pull saw.

Hi all,

@ Whatgoesup

Interesting idea ! I just had some thick EPP foam packed in Duct tape & stuffed under the scrollsaw. It makes a huge difference as well. Thanks anyway for the tip.

@ kc

To be honest The Third Man's theme never brought me into moments of musical ecstasy... No offense however.

Another few hours today at ‘La Grotte’, going on with my very personal ply-battle.

I had to test that carbide round saw blade on the Einhell. It’s an amazing blade if you want to create some Bruges’ lace in ply or reproduce Michelangelo’s Sixtine Chapel in 3D… but I never managed to trace a (just one) straight line. So, for modelling ‘holes’, I’ll stick to drilling holes at the ends & joining them with a flat blade cut. And that was Peter’s opinion too, by the way… “Me? Stubborn?”… “No, Your Honor. Obsessively curious, yes maybe”.

More to come…

Cheers

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Third Man Control

Hi again

So far, the ply parts are cut up to F6, some internal cut outs as well but no final sanding is done except for the new motormount which is ready to receive its inserts.

367_plyboxparts_05_900.jpg

I was hesitating about the fuselage sides - not using two different types of wood as Gaston suggested, of course - but about the method to use to get 2 identical ones.

Cutting one out & copying with a pencil on a second board? Sticking/gluing two sheets of ply together? I decided - without even consulting the Masters - to ‘screw’ them together and to saw them in one move.

368_fusescrews_01_900.jpg

Not following Gaston’s advice, I also placed the self tapping screws in the ‘disposable’ parts of the fuse & had to add some spacers on top to compensate with the overlong screws.

371_fusescrews_02_900.jpg

I’m now really wondering if this is a ‘silly’ method… ???

I hope I’ll know soon enough.

Cheers

Chris

BRU – BE / VTR* Self Tapping Screw Control

* now, if you’re wondering about the sudden ‘VTR’ instead of CTR, it’s not a typo. VTR was a well-known bolts & screws factory, years ago in my small home-village...

Hello everybody,

It's not even my birthday (yet) but today I had the feeling that it was.

I received a very nice present from a very kind lady... gift

... and the very (again!) best of that gift is that I can share it.

So, just have a look at the headline of my blog & enjoy the visualization of the pretty Bella Ballerina.

Thanks a lot, Beth... kiss

Cheers

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Kisses Control

Edited By McG 6969 on 22/01/2016 17:44:00

Just using a few small bits of double sided Sellotape is enough to hold two identical balsa parts together for cutting. Only use 3 or 4 bits about 1/2 inch ( 12.7mm ) long because otherwise the sides wont separate without wrecking the balsa. I would expect Depron to be similar. But you could fit the tape on the parts that are eventually cut away so releasing the sides with the last cut.

Thank you for visiting, kc.

To be honest, I didn't give double-sided tape a thought. 'Learning curve', you know. blush

On the other hand, my main fuselage/battery box is 3mm birch ply, not balsa as with the standard build.

I would be a bit concerned about using double-sided tape for Depron as it could tear it apart depending on the strength of the glue. But then again, the same discovery curve, I guess.

Cheers & thank you

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Discovery Control

Hello to all,

A few hours of ‘slow’ progression today but still no mountain top in sight (sorry, BEB).

The decision of screwing together the fuse sides wasn’t too bad after all.

375_clamped side_900.jpg

The external sides were sawed and sanded first, then after sawing out the ‘screwed internals’ & progressively clamping them, the sides were finally separated nearly ready to be assembled after a bit of sanding w/ 400 grit paper.

377_separated sides_900.jpg

Gaston is very closely watching the process…

378_sepasides_gaston_900.jpg

As I had to redraw the fuselage sides anyway for my hybrid version, I took the dimensions of an apple marmelade (marmalade?) jar to draw the back end curve behind F6. I taped some sand paper to the jar and obtained an easy 90° sanding down. By the way, the contents of the jar really are without strategic importance… but Queen’s Jewel sounded appropriate for the Bella… Simples.

373_marmeladejar_900.jpg

Family picture of the main box parts, but with final sanding still to do.

384_familypicture_900.jpg

Following the experience with the marmelade jar, I was pondering about fabricating some kind of ‘universal 90° Sanding Device’. I believe I will have my pre-diner aperitif to that…

Cheers

Chris

BRU – BE / CTR Sanding Control

Posted By john stones 1 on 23/01/2016 09:19:16.

Working late because I had company Chris, and only glued the two because clamps got in way of F2, rear formers will be fitted when other side is added, I use epoxy on motor mounts and former where the wing dowel go's for strength, you're ply box will be fine with Aliphatic.

John

Thanks a lot for your advice, John.

I will do exactly that then > Epoxy for my F0 (motormount), F1 (nose of my box) & F2 (wing dowel). Aliphatic for the remaining parts of the box.  smiley

Cheers

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Advice Control

Edited By McG 6969 on 23/01/2016 10:04:56

Hi everybody,

I was very pleased with the sanding results of the Queen’s Jewel jar. Obtaining a totally square sanding just by twisting the jar against the ply.

I decided to build a simple device allowing me to easily sand some straight lines as well as larger smooth curves.

I simply glued a piece of scrap kitchen-tablet-melamine-wood to a somewhat wider piece of styrene.

385_sandingdevice_900.jpg

The styrene allows the Permagrit or sanding block to slide effortless up & down without damaging the dining room table underneath (!).

For comfort of use, I also drilled an horizontal hole at the front allowing to fix the sanding device to the workbench with a ‘vice clamp thing’ (sorry, I don’t know the exact word / cfr picture hereunder).

387_sandingdevice_close_900.jpg

Heading home now for some shopping with the LotH & tomorrow I’ll have to (a ‘must’!) watch the final stages of the WRC in Monte Carlo. Always great Rallying down there.

Have an enjoyable weekend.

Cheers

Chris

BRU – BE / CTR Square Sanding Control

Hi Chris

It's what Bob has explained. Due to the fuselage shape and the position of the control horns, the snakes should go from left to right and vice versa to achieve a line as straight as possible, hence the crossing.

Good progresses on the HD Ballerina so far, I'm really looking forward for the result 👍

Edited By AVC on 23/01/2016 15:37:31

Thanks Bob & AVC,

Some mysteries are really becoming plain rational when outlined by experienced people. wink

I 'm progressing somehow but rather slowly of course. Following the 'main' stream of building would have been a lot easier for a "first one".

But then the question remains if there really is a 'standard' building: IC, electric power, top hatch location, cowl construction, wing u/c vs fuse undercarriage, 1 or 2 ailerons servos, snakes vs pull-pull, servos at the back... Sometimes it gets rather tricky to see the forest for the trees for a grand'newbie like me.

forest_man.jpg

I guess the above ‘collage’ clarifies what I mean…

Fortunately I can rely on a bit of full size experience from my past. I would never have been able to start this without that baggage.

But currently my slogan remains: “Think twelve times only saw once”. So the progress will be slow & the ”result” doesn't seem that close… but at least I'm enjoying it. smiley

Thanks again & cheers

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Forest Control

Edited By McG 6969 on 23/01/2016 18:11:22

Designers have their own favourite methods which they tend to stay with.

You will notice that many builders choose to use two servos, one in each wing.

AS you build more models you will decide which methods you prefer and will be ably to modify the plan to suit your own preferences.

It is all about that slowly acquired thing called experience.

In the end you will look at a plan and think "I don't like that. Can I change it and if so how."

Thanks for visiting, Peter.

I noticed how different all the end results of the MB 2016 will be.

The challenge I took by building the 'hybrid' version is meant to learn some different techniques - Depron, ply, lite ply, carbon fiber, glass fiber, etc. - all at once during my first build.

In fact, I'm spending more time reading the different blogs than actually 'building'... frown

Even more, i have to 'discover' the different modelling tools & equipment that I bought together with the new techniques. But anyhow, for me it's not a 'race' but a discovery journey... and I'm enjoying it fully.

By the way, I decided today that the future registration of the Bella will be 'PM - 169'... the sum of the numbers being '16' and of course 'PM' doesn't mean Papa Mike nor Petr Millaricz... wink

Cheers

Chris

CTR - BE / CTR Registration Control

Edited By McG 6969 on 23/01/2016 19:12:11