Chris's Bella Ballerina HD

McG 6969

Advert

... yes, Peter, of course.

... but what about The LotH, the neighbors, the cat running away each afternoon, the delayed Royal Mail man, running as well... or just you, waking up suddenly due to strange 'noises'... ???

Cheers

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Siesta Noise Control

been quietly following this build its looking impressive,i never used depron untill a couple of years ago when i started building jets,still got a lot of depron left so i might follow in your foot steps as long as it dont get to complicated.it wouldnt be as light as yours as im a heavy builder ,waiting for your next installment.

Hi Andy D, welcome to the Bella build.

If you have been bashing Depron before for whatever build, this Bella HD shouldn't be a problem at all.

This is my first ever attempt at anything concerning RC-modelling, so I'm trying to keep it as rational & simple as possible. I will mainly use 3mm birch ply for the main box ( motormount & battery box) & 3mm Depron (or Aero 3mm ) for the 'skin'. The main wing is intended to be the classical Balsa MB one, but if you want you could make it Depron as well..

Any info needed, please give me a sign.

I just finished my ply box parts & will glue them asap now. Please feel free to follow along.

Cheers & welcome

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Depron Control

Hello out there,

I just had my first ply box components fit together. No glue here, just a few rubber bands to keep it together. It doesn’t look totally square on the picture but obviously some of the bands are in the way. Being my first one, I’m quite pleased with it.

405_dryfitting_900.jpg

While I was taking some measurements, Gaston was testing his latest invention: the Total Reversible Black & White TV set…

407_gaston_f6_900.jpg

Beware the Genius…

Next episode > “Let the glue war begin… “.

Cheers

Chris

BRU – BE / CTR Reversibility Control

Hi everybody,

Again a tiny bit of progress but nothing much to show though.

The M4 (thanks, BEB) bolts inserts were glued to F0, not so spectacular really.

>>417_motor inserts_900.jpg

I also spent quite some time to the wing mounting plate at F6.

Instead of using ‘scrap sheet’ – which, of course, I don’t have being a ‘total registered newbie’ – to fill up the space and support the wing, I chose to build up some small support ‘triangles’ on the inside of the screws, which supposedly will do the same job together with the fuselage sides. I also doubled the mounting plate itself as to avoid the sight of those M5 inserts pins sticking out. Please remember, The LotH has been mentioning that I was “mildly autistic”…

419_wing mount_900.jpg

While the epoxy was curing, I had a ‘chat’ with the carbon fibre strips for the fuselage & rods for the tail.

From former composites experiences IRL, I tend to believe that a lot of people forget that whatever has been moulded or extruded industrially has been treated with release agents during production. And by definition, those are the heaviest enemies of glues, Epoxys, Cyanos or whatever.

414_carbon cleaning_900.jpg

So, as experienced, I ‘clean off’ these agents with soapy warm water up to acetone when required. For the CF, I tend to use a 3M automotive body-shop pad & soapy water and a last damp cleaning with acetone. By the way, Depron is an extruded product as well & slightly rubbing the surface with an isopropyl damped cloth can be very helpful to achieve better ‘contact glue’ adhesion like with UHU Por for example.

By the way, Gaston had a day off as he is introducing his latest ‘creation’ at the National Inventor’s Fair 2016 in Brussels Expo. Apologies for his absence, Craig…

Cheers

Chris

BRU – BE / CTR Inventor’s Control

Edited By McG 6969 on 27/01/2016 19:13:56

Posted by McG 6969 on 13/01/2016 17:58:01:

No, kc, it wasn't 'me' really. angel

"I'm claiming total irresponsibility in this case, Your Honor. My MD will prove that my natural insanity has been heavily intensified by taking the prescribed medication".

"Case dismissed, young man".

"Thank you, Your Honor".

"Cheers, young man"... (somewhat later at the local pub...)

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Pub Control

You really need to stay off those pills young man! LotHs of love, Iris aka The LotH (a title that gives me some Hyacinth Bucket feeling by the way!) wink

Edited By Iris Vieghe on 27/01/2016 20:25:17

Dear Iris aka The LotH,

It's not really a problem 'quoting' an older post but as you could notice, it was a "prescribed medication" at that time. angel

Really nothing to do with my actual 'daily' behavior... barely to be said about your shoes, clothes, perfumes... and Belgian chocolates ADDICTION... devil

As you started this kind of 'public humiliation', I can't imagine loosing my hobby allowance or sponsorship from you just for this unfortunate matter... wink

Cheers & kiss

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Addiction Control

Edited By McG 6969 on 27/01/2016 21:26:58

I totally agree with you , Peter.

Our Hyacinth is a lot more 'classy' than the current SWMBO-type. frown

Only Richard could of course disagree with this argument... sad

But then, who are we - the 'Richards' - in fact ???

Cheers

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Keeping up Appearances Control

Hi to all,

The sunny weather over here allowing it, I'm planning a shopping trip this afternoon to get some hardware and bits & pieces for the Bella.

I have a question, please. I'm not able to find the specifications for the servos bearers. Maybe I missed something but nor the plan nor the article seem to provide some details. blush

Following the plan their measurements are 12 x 6mm, but what kind of material are they? Should I use ply, spruce, birch, basswood, sapele, meranti, or... ???

Thank you for your advice

Cheers

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Bearers Control

It looks as though Peter has used two hardwood beams in his design. I used to use beech engine bearer stock which was available in 18" lengths, but any hard wood that will glue well and take screws will fit the bill. I intend using a couple of laminations of 1/2" wide 1/8" thick birch ply, or maybe a liteply frame with birch ply backing to take the screws. 1/2" wide strips of 1/4" birch 5 ply would do just as well.

Hello everybody,

As projected, the glue-war has started… slowly.

F1 and F4 were glued to the battery bottom with 30 minutes epoxy.

I had foreseen to glue F0 as well but my clamping didn’t allow it (not for a newbie anyway). no

426_formers_clamping_900.jpg

I used big Duplo blocks as square edges as they seem both accurate & easy to handle for the job. And they even allow my clamps to sit between the rounded tops. Not really sure how epoxy would react to ABS, I also protected the blocks with a bottom layer of Sellotape.

Gaston’s trip to the Brussels Fair nearly became a disaster as he was excluded being considered a (literally translated) “dangerous insane fool”. Giving up his dream of a brand new residence in Beverly Hill, he decided to remain my 'official' assistant. Glad & feared to have him back… indecision

427_gaston_clamping_900.jpg

During my afternoon shopping, I wasn’t able to find any suited hardwood for the servo bearers. I only managed to find 4mm spruce. So, I had to laminate them and profiled out one of them to loose a bit of weight.

430_servo_bearers_900.jpg

I’m afraid I’m really becoming the ‘slowest’ would-be builder of the entire forum here. And it seems that I can’t even handle it any ‘quicker’ way…

Cheers

Chris

NTI - NR / VYT Speed Control

Note to myself > let it ‘cure’, Chris, time isn’t that important… but please check your ‘signature’ before you post anything...

Edited By McG 6969 on 28/01/2016 20:16:39

"I’m afraid I’m really becoming the ‘slowest’ would-be builder of the entire forum here. And it seems that I can’t even handle it any ‘quicker’ way…"

It's not a race Chris. I've only just got around to gluing on F1-F4, the large 30/60 square supporting F4 didn't leave room to put F6 on at the same time. That will go on in an hour or so once F4 is stable.

Usually I like to get the wing built first so that I have it to hand when setting up the tailplane seat but this time the build just evolved starting from digging out the contact glue for the fuselage doublers.

Manyana.

Thanks for answering Bob,

... you're very probably right about the 'racing' point of view.

But when reading different posts and watching about how to have a "decision about the decoration scheme of the Ballerina"...and then, out here, not feeling able to glue 3 formers at once, I obviously start to have a bit of stress about this all.

But you are right, wrong approach to this 'reality' fact... wrong approach to my present situation.

From now on - at the end of my posts - I will salute the potential readers with the more positive...

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Swahili Control