Chris's Bella Ballerina HD

McG 6969

Advert

Chris, it most definitely isn't a race and please don't feel pushed by progress on other blogs.

My own plan is simply to keep ahead of the less experienced builds so that hopefully it may provide a guide on how to do something or maybe an idea or inspiration for any of the other builds. It may even show the bloopers of what not to do or how to fix a mess, like my recent covering accident, however embarrassing!

There is no finish time, only a finish line, and that's hopefully a successful maiden! yes

Well John, that sounds promising for me then. frown

But couldn't you maiden them without the "colour scheme and detail"? wink

That 'Purple Plan' could be a good one for a few of us, Andrew. Did you have a start already?

Hakuna matata

Chris

CTR - BE / CTR Detail Control

Edited By McG 6969 on 29/01/2016 10:19:16

Posted by Andrew Price 2 on 29/01/2016 10:09:38:

I am trying to get going on my first ever build, Peter. I'm thinking that Mr Miller and his purple plan could well be my inspiration. No pressure there, at all.

Currently I am feeling really burnt out and have a few other things to do. Today, for the first time since Monday I have spent 1/2 an hour in the workshop. Not sure how long the current model will take but I refuse to push myselft.

My normal build time is three to four weeks. I may take three moneths on this one and it is SIMPLE

I normally don't rush myself, and also I have the bad habit to run more than one building at the time, which has been a good thing so far, but now I'm afraid I'm pushing the boundaries. My list of WIP is:

- Turbulent scratch build, started August 10 (started in France in a holiday house, moved to UK in 2014)

- Stampe 1/4, started in July 12

- Cessna 140 1/4, started Nov 15 (not really, just a couple of formers made...)

- Ballerina, started Dec 15

- Chapter One, started last week

Considering that I can only spare some time during the weekends, I really need to be focus my attention in the Ballerina now...

Hello everybody,

So it seems that we need a mix of purple, manana, a short WIP-list & a bit of matata to keep us ‘on the road’ then. wink

Another newbie’s question here:

How do you guys spread your epoxy onto the wood bits?

So far, I used some popsicle sticks to mix it & barbecue skewers to bring it on. Is there a better way or trick to do it?

432_postit_900.jpg

I simply mix epoxy on a Post-it pack of notes, let the (little) remaining epoxy cure after I’m done & dispose of the piece of paper on top afterwards. Seems to work great for me.

Hakuna matata

Chris

CTR - BE / CTR Post-it Control

The cat gets Whisker's crunchy topping on his food and I get the flexible tops for small amounts of epoxy and the plastic tub for mixing laminating resin, paint etc.. For stirring and applying I use odd strips of scrap balsa or ply, whatever is to hand.

ps - for some reason Pinpusz the cat weighed in heavier than last time when he got his boosters at the vet's on Wednesday. Can't imagine why that should beangel

pinpusz.jpg

My method is highly sophisticated and requires years to really master it, as well as investment in hi-tec stuff: I use a piece of cardboard, leaflet or something similar to pour and mix the two parts. The mixture is done with a toothpick, used as well to apply the epoxy. All the assembly is then left in the building board to check the curing process of the epoxy: if the remaining in the cardboard cures correctly, I should assume that the epoxy in the union is correctly cured...

Edited By AVC on 29/01/2016 14:57:57

Posted by McG 6969 on 28/01/2016 10:44:04:

I have a question, please. I'm not able to find the specifications for the servos bearers. Maybe I missed something but nor the plan nor the article seem to provide some details. blush

Following the plan their measurements are 12 x 6mm, but what kind of material are they? Should I use ply, spruce, birch, basswood, sapele, meranti, or... ???

6x6 hardwood or 12x6 hard balsa works fine too. or a plate from 2-3mm light ply. If you hit the tail surfaces so hard that something breaks it better be the servo bærers. Much easier to fix than stripped servo gears.

Edited By Lucas Hofman on 29/01/2016 15:12:51

Edited By Lucas Hofman on 29/01/2016 15:14:11

Thanks to all of you, gents.

As I have no pet in the house & no high-tech stuff neither - and after receiving the secret tricks of the Masters - at least I can go on with my life without feeling too ridiculous... wink

Except maybe that my bearers - being 12x8mm spruce - will be a touch too 'solid', Lucas. But I'm intended to lighten them up a bit. blush

Hakuna matata & flow with The Purple

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Bearer Control

Hi everybody,

Following the Purple Plan - and even if it isn’t much - I went on epoxying the motor mount top & side panels. I also prepared the small underside ply plate that will carry the ESC situated under the motor.

436_motormount_900.jpg

So far I always let the glued bits cure overnight, thus loosing quite some ‘progression’ time.

I guess that I’m too concerned about having to start over again if I move on too early. blush

Anyway during the setting, I increased the glue area of the wing mount plate - final ‘square’ sanding still to be done - as per Peter’s advice & lightened up the servo bearers as well.

438_servo _wing_mounts_900.jpg

As I haven’t decided yet what type or dimensions of servos to use for the tail, I’ve decided to screw a removable/replaceable servo plate to the bearers. To minimize weight, this is intended to become a lamination of thin ply & Depron. It will also allow me to finally start to cut some foam… You guys might be thinking that I’m building the entire Bella out of ply… surprise

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Servo Control

Thank you, Craig.

Gaston - very surprisingly - isn't hindering at all. He seems very busy with some 'mysterious' project. Maybe I should keep an eye on him... indecision

I may have a kind of solution for that 'drying time' issue. Nothing revolutionary of course, just having a better shortlist of things to do... like writing down on a Post-it instead of using them for epoxy. wink

I seem to remember that in the real world out there, they call it something like "planning"...

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Planning Control

That's exactly what I meant, Chris.

You completely described what those normal people call 'planning'. I knew there was something like that existing out there. Now I really must remember it... or write it down. surprise

Thanks for refreshing my neurons  wink.

Hakuna matata

Chris

CTR - BE / CTR Neuron Control

Edited By McG 6969 on 30/01/2016 17:08:56

Hi all,

Following the new ‘Purple Plan Post-it’ philosophy, I went on with others aspects of the build while the glues are setting.

I printed the Chipmunk’s instruments panel on inkjet photo-paper with the LotH’s household printer, taking care of having a few dashboards ready for testing.

The first procedure is to protect the ink with a non-water-based varnish as the ink should totally fade away with water.

421matt_varnish_900.jpg

A first coat with a cheap glossy varnish spray can from any DIY-store and a second coat with an art-store-picture varnish rolled on with a small foam roller. You can spray a second coat of gloss if you prefer. I used a matt version here as I prefer the end result not to be shiny. More details during the next episode…

In fact, I’m also wondering if other Ballerina builders intend to use the ‘generic’ panel that I uploaded to my picture albums? Any feedback fully welcomed, of course.

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU – BE / CTR Panel Control