Classic Ballerina

AVC

I use a similar system but don't bother with the soap. Actually never heard of using soap but it would worry me that itmight act as a release agent.

The main difference in my method is that I pin everything down without glue, leave to dry. Take the laminations up when dry and apply glue and pin them back down. I also use ali[hatic resin.

Posted by Peter Miller on 31/12/2015 11:22:46:

I use a similar system but don't bother with the soap. Actually never heard of using soap but it would worry me that itmight act as a release agent.

The main difference in my method is that I pin everything down without glue, leave to dry. Take the laminations up when dry and apply glue and pin them back down. I also use ali[hatic resin.

To be honest Peter, the person that taught me on lamination many years ago, told me to use soap, and I've used since then. I may try just water next time...

BEB, I agree that lamination is a pleasure, especially the result. I apply the same skills to boat modeling, to curve the pine strips to adapt it to the hull. The only issue I have in this case is with sapele wood: I'm building a model of the Santisima Trinidad, and the upper part of the hull is ok, it's just pine, but the lower part is covered on sapele. I have left the strips up to five days in water, and even though the strips always break when I try to pin them to the stern. Finally, I decided to replace the sapele with more pine, and maybe I will cover the bottom half of the hull with cupper sheet.

Sorry, a bit out of topic...blush

Anther way of holding the laminations is to make the former narrower and simply use normal clamps.

I also have a problem with soaking the wood - we don't have a bath any longer We replaced it with a shower cubicle last year. The old bath is still in the garden, perhaps I could use it there what with all the rain

Geoff

I would worry about soap like Peter and I don't like the smell of ammonia. I have never used anything other than hot water and a maximum 2mm laminate.

An easy soaking tube can be made from a suitable length of 40mm PVC waste pipe blocked off at one end. Top up with hot water as necessary and about ten minutes required depending on hardness of the balsa.

For other harder woods such as spruce around wingtips etc and certainly for boat building a galvanised steel gas pipe can be used. Again closed off at the lower end but this time fitted with a vented cap as the water will be heated to boil with a gas torch or similar and the steam does the work. To prevent the bottom of the planks / strip lying in the water, drop in a stainless steel scouring pad to hold them up.

If you get the wood nice and flexible and can work quickly, with everything needed to hand, there is no need to pre-bend and this save a fair bit of time. Using aliphatic means the glue dries along with the wood.

A really good effect can be obtain by staining alternate layers before lamination.

Laminating does not have to be for just for curves. I use them a lot for making up larger sections from small pieces. If you alternate the grain you get a very stable job with good properties.

Of course the obvious one is making your own ply (even from balsa)

For the marginal, initially I though on inserting a solid piece, but then I changed with braces again. In this case, as my intention was to sand the marginal to 1/8, what I did was to cut these braces to length and then cut one end to 1/8 while keeping the other end to 1/4ht11.jpg

Then was the turn for the elevator. I started by making the elev joiner, followed by a triangular 1/8 pieces. These pieces would make a sandwich with the elevator joiner, to ensure that both halves are correctly aligned. I also made a cut (1/16) in these pieces to receive the ends of the elevators TE (1/8). The process can be seen in the next photosht13.jpg

Edited By AVC on 02/01/2016 01:30:11