Classic Ballerina

AVC

Thanks Chris.
The outline is just as per the plan. I'll use the "curvy" part of the former, with 1/4 Sq crossbraces underneath, so the final shape should be pretty similar to the original one.
And yes, it's quite light for the moment although it will put some weight after adding the ply doublers at front and rear.
All in all I expect to achieve a quite light but sound structure.

So, here we go again with the weekly report. And this time we start with the postman...He delivered the engine at home last Friday.

dsc_0055.jpg

dsc_0056.jpg

I've never tried one of those before, although being made by the same manufacturer as ASP/SC/Magnum, I assume they must be pretty similar.

I bought this one because, for the same size and weight of a typical 36, you have a whole 40. I also like the blue details, let's be honest...

In the instructions there's no mention whatsoever to the break in process (other than the size of the prop) so I'll do a typical ABC break in.

If anyone has experience with Evolution glow, I would appreciate comments / advices. My only experience with EVOLUTION engines is this one below:

dsc_0062.jpg

Edited By AVC on 08/02/2016 07:14:48

To fit the engine on sidewinder position I would need to make a tunnel for the muffler, but I don't fancy doing it, so the other options are upright, 45 degrees, or maybe 315 degrees. I still haven't decides which one...

And now, let's focus on the building. Last weekend I closed the shift with the sides completed. The first task this week was to make the doublers, in ply 1mm. These are glued to the outside, both at the front and the rear

This is the one at the front

dsc_0057.jpg

dsc_0063.jpg

Then I glued the formers to one side. My Ballerina will have only four complete formers: F1, F2, F4 and F6. The remaining will be only the top (curvy) part of the formers, and some cross braces underneath.

Here are the formers ready to glue. F2 has a double on the front side for the wing dowel. I also will center the dowel using an additional piece of 1mm ply.

dsc_0070.jpg

Because I haven't decided where the servos will go, I don't bother about holes for snakes: I opened a "window" in F6 so I can route whatever is needed (servo wires, snake or pull-pull wire)

On Monday morning I though I could go and have a quick fly with the Can Doo, or maybe maiden the Kloud Rider in a little hill near home. My hopes went away when, after breakfast, I checked the wind and we had around 20 mph, with gusts of 35...

So, back to the workshop, to glue the two sides together. The tail is not glued yet at this stage.

dsc_0074.jpg

And then finally, Monday evening, the tail was glued, using a calculated "datum" and special jigs for that purpose...

The "datum", aligned with the mid point of F2 and F6

dsc_0075.jpg

dsc_0076.jpg

And now, the very special jig...

dsc_0079.jpg

The sides are slightly sanded on the inside, to increase the contact area.

The cello tape is to stop epoxy dropping and curing on the down side of the fuse, creating a bump in the area where the tail wheel support should fit...

Edited By AVC on 08/02/2016 09:06:51

Thanks Chris! wink

You should try balsa, I will definitely try depron for something bigger than a parkflyer. I think I have somewhere the plans for an electric biplane which was a hybrid also. It was published in MRA, the French magazine, some years ago.

• 3 weeks later...

jig 001.jpgReferring to AVC's excellent instructions for laminating balsa strip to make the outline of wingtips, rudders and tailplanes, I agree that this method is very easy and results in a very strong outer structure.

When bending the strips around the former (I find just a couple of hour's soaking is enough, unless the bend is very tight) I previously hammer-in nails all around the edge of the former, about 1" in from the edge. Then, when the final strip is in place, I wind rubber bands all around the nails, ensuring that the strips follow the former outline exactly. I usually make the former from 5/8" chipboard and cover the chipboard edge with sellotape

(jig 002.jpgPhoto shows the former for making a Tiger Moth rudder)

Edited By Kevinlad on 25/02/2016 21:37:36

This post refers to AVC's posting on first page

Edited By Kevinlad on 25/02/2016 21:46:39

Edited By Kevinlad on 25/02/2016 21:49:31