Classic Ballerina

AVC

Well its personal preferences isn't it.

On the plus side you get the satisfaction of building it - nice bit of craftsmanship. We get a nice illustration for the MB of how a design can be customised. You get the pleasure of knowing your Ballerina is just that little bit "individual" to you!

On the other side, if it did lighten the back half of the fuselage signiifcantly (and I agree with Peter the jury is out on that one) then it might not be particularly helpful with regard to the CoG position. KC's mock up and my "fag packet" calcs all indicate that the design is very well balanced "as is". And being IC you don't have the flexibility of a whopping big heavy battery to manoeurve back and forth to get the CoG in the right place! It might be rather galling to go to all the trouble of a built up rear end only to find that you have to add lead to the tail to get it to balance correctly!

BEB

Thanks all for your comments. I considered it mainly for the pleasure of building, but as you say, in the "best case" I won't save any significant weight, and in the worst case, I could have problems balancing it.

Maybe when I decide to escalate the Ballerina and do a 200% version, I'll go for this option ! wink

Posted by john stones 1 on 06/01/2016 14:55:52:

One option to consider is to mount rudder/elevator servos at the rear, that would help with the c.g,

John

Thanks John, I though on this option but in this case I would use mini servos because the standard ones would add around 100 grams to the tail, which means around 230 in the nose (very high level calculation...). This will be partially offset by the (potential) weight saved with the fuse, but there will still be some weight to add to the nose, and the only element I have to play with is the Rx battery.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion. Next step will be the wing, and I'll have time to think on the fuse in the meantime

So, here we go again... This weekend I've been working on the wing. There's nothing really especial, basically I've followed the pocess described by Peter Miller.

This is the first time I make a wing this way, and I must admit that I like it. I probably apply it for future models.

dsc_0001.jpg

These are all elements of the left panel, before assembly 

dsc_0002.jpg

I began with the  ribs that supports the landing gear rail. At this stage, I glued the front half of R1, and R1A together, and added to the building. I tried to give this assembly the right angle for the dihedral

Edited By AVC on 10/01/2016 09:08:30

Next was LE sheet. I used again the system descfribed my PM. What I did was to glue the sheeting to the LE and place some pins. Then I poured some water on the sheeting and extend it with the finger, et voila, the sheeting itself curves nicely to the ribs' shape. Then it's just about adding some glue and some pegs.

The TE cap strip is also added at this stage

dsc_0007.jpg

For the second panel, I've used the traditional method of "oil bath". I know it's a bit messy and "oily", but it has some advantages: is cheap, and also once the building is finished, you can deep fry the plan, and serve it with peas. It makes a great starter, and children love it...cheeky

dsc_0015.jpg

For those who don't know it, this method consists basically on placing the plan upside down in the table, and apply cooking oil (the cheapest one) on the plan, and extend it. The oil makes the paper translucent and you have a "negative" image of the wing. I then cover it with cling film, and it's ready for building

Edited By AVC on 10/01/2016 09:30:00

Hi AVC,

The least I can say is that this is a bit overwhelming for me. surprise

You make it sound so easy in your description. Great neat process.

Lucky enough, I have so much other things to discover before I intend to start the wing building... frown

Cheers

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Overwhelming Control

One of my habits is to place the pins vertically, for me it!s easier to ensure an accurate location of the spars. The problem is that they don't allow gluing the upper spar.

So what I do is, before gluing the upper spar, I place diagonal pins and remove the vertical ones

1452455333537323357713.jpg 

1452455388127654921472.jpg