What certification do you intend to try and obtain in the next 12 months?

Advert

I have ~30 years experience and have never had any of these until now, but I am planning on joining a new club where an A is mandatory for solo flying so will need to pass that on my first visit. Might even go on to do a B - I can fly most of the schedule with no problems, though ending the 3 turn spin on the same heading does require a bit more practice.

PS - Will be interested to see how many people flag interest in the SF schemes; from what I've seen there is almost zero interest in these amongst the average glider pilot.

Edited By MattyB on 07/01/2016 15:33:24

I got my B so that it gave me "options " I actually have only used one of these options once , so some would say getting a B was a bit of a waste of time .BUT it wasnt , the practicing I went thro to make sure I got it right improved my flying enormously , it also showed me how to trim a model so as it could perform the test with little or no risk of it doing something unexpected, and choosing a model that suited my style , I learnt alot ,

but mainly I got a "B" to make sure Extra Slim went and got his !!!wink

cheers

It is driving me slightly mad that to date I have not taken or passed my A-certificate. I have been flying models on and off for over 50 years and to date have not written off any RC models, so my flying must be reasonably safe if not spectacular. I have concentrated in the past on 3 channel planes which now don't seem to qualify for the A-certificate? I practiced last year with an Enya 45 Tutor, Enya 45 Easy Rider, Enya 35 Cougar and a Twinstar 2. Some divine intervention required so I can pass the A and then concentrate on other planes completed and not flown

Posted by ChrisB on 07/01/2016 18:17:34:

I've been considering the examiner cert, and also the LMA proficiency although not an option on the poll!

Our club doesn't require the A or B, just that you fly consistently and safely to an A standard before going solo.

CB

Same here Chris, but nice to have if you want the option and handy for events that require it.

John

Posted by Mike Etheridge 1 on 07/01/2016 17:30:38:

It is driving me slightly mad that to date I have not taken or passed my A-certificate. I have been flying models on and off for over 50 years and to date have not written off any RC models, so my flying must be reasonably safe if not spectacular. I have concentrated in the past on 3 channel planes which now don't seem to qualify for the A-certificate? I practiced last year with an Enya 45 Tutor, Enya 45 Easy Rider, Enya 35 Cougar and a Twinstar 2. Some divine intervention required so I can pass the A and then concentrate on other planes completed and not flown

You don't need divine intervention, Mike, just an examiner's phone number! All you need to do for an 'A' is demonstrate is that you can fly safely, with no more than moderate competence and that you know a few basic rules about flight and safe pit procedures. I'll bet that after 50 years something must have sunk in?....wink 2

Pete

Posted by James Kerr on 07/01/2016 15:10:13:

I had no idea all these things existed, what are they meant for? more importantly, how much do they cost and who collects the money?

JK.

James, they are an achievement scheme aimed at fun flying and something to aim for. They are provided free and administered by the BMFA and generally but not exclusively implemented by clubs. They are predominantly flying tests with a set of questions and an assessment of overall good practice.

The A is about basic and safe flying and demonstrates your basic flying skills, the B is slightly more advanced and the C is an advanced aerobatic test.

There is no requirement to have them and they are not, as some people wrongly think, licences to fly, nor are they a requirement of insurance. However; some clubs require the A certificate to fly solo, as is discussed in the BMFA handbook (available on-line), although this is for the specific club to decide on.

Many clubs have examiners who can 'test' a pilot, equally if you are not in a club or do not have access to an examiner you can call the BMFA and they will put you in touch with the nearest examiner who will assist you.

Generally B certs are required for public events.

The LMA operate a similar scheme for those who wish to fly at their public events.

Cheers

CB

Edited By ChrisB on 07/01/2016 20:42:29

Edited By ChrisB on 07/01/2016 20:44:09