What certification do you intend to try and obtain in the next 12 months?

Posted by Percy Verance on 07/01/2016 20:28:25:

Chris

The LMA scheme may not have been included because again, it might be considered something of a minority interest. I guess one might assume that those whom wish to take the LMA test would probably know how to go about it.

How many members and Examiners are there in your club Chris?

Edited By Percy Verance on 07/01/2016 20:31:02

That could be the case Percy.

We now have 4, although we did have 7 and we have about 80 members. Most of the examiners aren't regular flyers for a variety of reasons, although no-one has been in the last 2 months.!

CB

Advert

I never did get around to taking the power 'A' although I spent time practising the figure 8 bit. I found it very hard to get both circles the same with the intersection directly in line with the pilot box particularly if there was a breeze. I never really got it cracked. Then I pranged my only 1Kg electric model which qualified for the test and spent most of last summer flying a Radian, doing many thermal turns and reasonably close landings. I feel that the Silent Flight 'A' is more relevant for me now and I'm more confident that I can fly all the elements of that test. No one in the soaring club seems to bother with tests but I'd like to get through the S/F 'A' for my own satisfaction.

Posted by Mike Etheridge 1 on 07/01/2016 17:30:38:

I have concentrated in the past on 3 channel planes which now don't seem to qualify for the A-certificate?

I dont think that the number of channels is stated in the criteria for the model for the A or B test, as long as it has wheels and weighs over 1kg it ok as far as I can see..... you might have difficulties flying an accurate B schedule with 3 channels, but not the A schedule

Ckub examiner for fixed wing and rotary, currently the only examiner for both disciplines in our club. Been an examiner since late eighties and generally enjoyed the process. Have thought about the C cert but to be honest as it is broken down into groups it just seems a bit well diluted and although supposedly a higher level in reality I'm not convinced ultimately that it delivers hence I have ended not pursuing any further but if the opportunity to do it was easier to organise then perhaps I would go for it or them as I would want scale, aerobatic and whatever else otherwise I don't see the point of just one for me. Is it worth anything - no just personal achievement, nothing more.

Posted by Percy Verance on 07/01/2016 21:05:18:

Four Examiners for 80 club members is probably enough Chris, but more would be advantageous at times no doubt.

It rather surprises me that your Examiners aren't regular flyers. I'd have thought that being an Examiner one might feel obliged to attend flying sessions all the more? I'm one of two Examiners in our club Chris, although we (intentionally) have just 15 or so members. I'm also Club Secretary, Treasurer, Registered Instructor and Chief Organiser/Grasscutter.........

Edited By Percy Verance on 07/01/2016 21:09:22

Its always difficult. A couple of our examiners have work commitments and the others have on-going personal commitments. Its noticeable that in recent years more people appear to "just want to fly" and use the club as a way of accessing a flying site, rather than getting involved in the club as a whole.

Don't forget that you can download the guide to A, B and C achievement tests from the BMFA website in the downloads section. Don't just read what's in the Handbook get one of these downloadable guides. Also, make sure that the guide is dated for the year in which you want to take your test! The guides will be re-issued every year - but I'm not sure when in the year. They do contain a great deal of helpful information for both the candidate and the examiner.

As the discussion has shifted slightly towards examiners you should be aware that the examiners are mandated to maintain their flying at an appropriate level and the club is advised to take this, and the performance/behaviour of their examiners into account at every re-ratification. If your club is being responsible it should debate the reratification of examiners appropriately and not just rubber stamp the renewal forms.

It is my belief that this should be extended to Area Chief Examiners as well, but that opinion is not popular in some Area's for obvious reasons. devil

Andy

Some interesting responses thanks!

Last year was frustrating for various reasons, the annoying thing was that just as I was confident I was getting close to the required standard for the 'A' the weather finally closed in and called a halt to any IC flying. There were about four of us coached for the 'A' last year and on the last flying day one chap passed with his electric model and we all congratulated him. Having not flown IC planes before he expressed his desire to receive some instruction / help on IC planes as a follow up to passing the 'A'. Generally most of us were faced with the usual problems associated with model flying. That is bad weather and on some days cross-winds on the take off strip. My planes did not behave. I had take off problems with the Tutor needing the whole of the take off strip to get off the ground which was difficult to control from the take-off box. The Easy Rider which I had flown at another club also ran off the runway due to undercarriage misalignment. I had dead stick issues with the Tutor which was due to expansion of the fuel tank clunk pipe plus ground loop problems on take-off with the Cougar. The Twinstar 2 performed OK as usual but of course does not have an undercarriage. I had plenty of help and assistance from the Instructor with all these issues so I can't complain.

As for my three channel planes only the RM Trainer might suit for the 'A' certificate but it is difficult on take-offs. The others such as the Junior 60, Matador, and Falcon would not suit---anyone agree?

I am sure this year I will pass the 'A' with divine intervention on the weather!

Hmmm! Would like to tick 2, "B" fixed wing and "A" helicopters, but the poll won't let me. crying

Personally I think these achievement certificates are something worth aiming for, at least to B level. As a retired old gibber I do think it important to keep the brain active and set oneself personal goals, just as I did in my working life.

Posted by ChrisB on 07/01/2016 20:47:53:

That could be the case Percy.

We now have 4, although we did have 7 and we have about 80 members. Most of the examiners aren't regular flyers for a variety of reasons, although no-one has been in the last 2 months.!

Posted by Percy Verance on 07/01/2016 21:05:18:

Four Examiners for 80 club members is probably enough Chris, but more would be advantageous at times no doubt.

It rather surprises me that your Examiners aren't regular flyers. I'd have thought that being an Examiner one might feel obliged to attend flying sessions all the more? I'm one of two Examiners in our club Chris, although we (intentionally) have just 15 or so members. I'm also Club Secretary, Treasurer, Registered Instructor and Chief Organiser/Grasscutter.........

I concur with Chris. If your clubs are anything like the ones I am a member of it is all to do with demographics and the changing nature of the work environment.

If we assume those below the age of say most people between the ages of ~25 and 50 probably have their hands full with a demanding job and family commitments; free time is at a premium and if they can get it to go flying they probably just want to fly themselves, not instruct. I am firmly in this group - I like helping others, but do not have the free time to get down the patch regularly enough to be a useful instructor even if I had the qualifications.

There is probably then a sweet spot between 50 and say 65 where people may have more time and be happy to instruct, but after that I guess attendance and active flying levels begin to drop off again. In the clubs I am in there is an ever higher percentage of over 65s, and often the examiners are in that demographic. Getting a new group of younger, more active instructors (and committee members, and grass cutters etc.) is going to be the challenge in the next 5-10 years...

Edited By MattyB on 08/01/2016 12:08:08

In my club we have many qualifications from LMA instructors to newbies. We are all taught and checked by the two club instructors/ safety officers using buddy systems to make sure we make the club standard for flying skills and safety procedures. We do not require an A or B to fly once having passed the checks. I will only be flying at the club so will just enjoy building and flying without having to sit any more exams which, in my career, have been regular and plentiful. Model flying should be safe, but, also fun and relaxing.

Posted by Mike Etheridge 1 on 08/01/2016 11:16:15:

As for my three channel planes only the RM Trainer might suit for the 'A' certificate but it is difficult on take-offs. The others such as the Junior 60, Matador, and Falcon would not suit---anyone agree?

Mike,

As WF said your aircraft must 1) have a minimum weight of 1kg 2) be able to take of from the ground (ie have an under cart) and 3) be capable of carrying out the set maneuvers. For an A that is circuits and a figure 8. I have flown a 3Ch Jnr 60 and falcon and see no reason why they would not be suitable.

At the end of the day chose an aircraft which you are comfortable with. As other have said the examiner is not looking for perfection but to see that your are in control of the aircraft at all times (I'm a club examiner).

Have a go! What's the worst that can happen. Don't forget to read the handbook.

I don't need anyone to tell me how to enjoy my hobby for 62 years .I have passed enough exams where necessary ,I certainly don't want to be "examined" regarding my lifelong hobby.What next Eh!?

Grumpy (non nanny state Myron )--Too much beaurocracy redtape RULES & compliance etc.etc  Regretably selling up soon thanks to immobility-Will let you all know when I finally decide .

Edited By Myron Beaumont on 08/01/2016 14:52:21

Edited By Myron Beaumont on 08/01/2016 14:55:20

Posted by Myron Beaumont on 08/01/2016 15:00:17:

OK Andy BUT in 1950 all we did was buy some wood ,recycle what we could ,regulations ,organisations to control aeromodelling did not exist in any form .Then if my memory serves me right ,SMAE came about ?

I think your memory is a bit off! SMAE dates back to 1909, became the SMAE in 1922 and incorporated as a limited company in 1948