Bob's Ballerina

kc - you can do that without moving the tail all the way forward and leaving a gap behind the ele to be either filled with scrap or ignored. I've trimmed the fuselage sides by about 5mm which leaves a little wiggle room for the joiner without any obtrusive gap. Who knows, by the time I get around to fitting the elevator I might have changed my mind - again.

• 4 weeks later...

OK, I haven't abandoned the Ballerina, it's been a little spurt now and then. There's plenty of construction photos on other builders threads so here's a description of where I went my own way.

As the plan only shows one wing panel I took the lazy option for the second panel. I drew in the positions for the spars and aileron for the second wing and built it back to front on the plan. Simples. First I pinned down all the 1/16" sheet - LE, TE and all cap strips, marked the rib positions on them and assembled the lower spars and ribs directly on the sheet. Then I positioned the completed wing with it's dihedral brace and glued in the second panel R1 segments, leading edge and top spar all butting against the first panel. I could then lift off the complete panel and add the second panel's upper sheet etc. before finally joing the two panels together with a perfect butt joint at the root.

For the U/C blocks, I pre-drilled them and marked the line of the hole on the side of the block. I had drawn centre lines on the U/C plates beforehand so when fitting the blocks I could just line up the centrelines confident that the hole would line up with the groove in the plate. Before adding the top sheet I ran a 4mm drill through the U/C plate and lower sheet using the block as a drill guide. OK, it left a 4mm hole in the plan and building board, I can live with that.

Fin fairing blocks - I made up an inverted T from 1/4" scrap and a couple of lengths of 1/4"sq to use as a spacer and alignment gauge. With the T pinned in place and carefully lined up along the fuselage centreline I glued the blocks in place. being careful to only get glue on the joint with F10. I shaped one side at a time while the other side I kept pinned to the fuselage to hold everything steady.

Fin fairing blocks added.jpg

Now I have a kit of parts, just a cowl to concoct before I start covering.

almost ready to cover.jpg

and yes, I did mess up the stringer spacing on F10blush.

One thing I noticed is that the wing chord is 2 or 3mm greater than the length of the wing seat so the TE will rest up against the bottom of F6. I added a strip of 1/4"sq across the junction of F6 and the lower sheet to provide some support. Another point is that the wing bolts are shown as vertical on the plan which puts them at an angle to the lower surface of the wing. Bad. I redrew them at 90 degrees to the wing underside and adjusted the position of the bolt plate to match.

Wing bolt position.jpg

I used to assemble the airframe before covering, but the Thunderbird reminded me what a pain it is trying to get a neat junction between tailplane/fuselage, rudder/fuselage etc. without the covering pulling away from one side or the other. If ARTFs have taught me one thing it's how much easier it is to pre-cover everything. It also makes it easier to do the fiddly bits like the snake exits with 360 degree access.

Amazing how much time can be spent on all the little things - separating the ailerons and shaping the hingelines, planning the cowl construction (whack on some 1/2" sheet and hack off the excess?) and mountings, checking the tail surface alignment, trimming away the bottom sheet for the U/C wire and mountings - a full day yesterday and the only thing to show at a glance is that the ailerons are separate now.

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 05/03/2016 11:47:29:

and yes, I did mess up the stringer spacing on F10blush.

One thing I noticed is that the wing chord is 2 or 3mm greater than the length of the wing seat so the TE will rest up against the bottom of F6. I added a strip of 1/4"sq across the junction of F6 and the lower sheet to provide some support. Another point is that the wing bolts are shown as vertical on the plan which puts them at an angle to the lower surface of the wing. Bad. I redrew them at 90 degrees to the wing underside and adjusted the position of the bolt plate to match.

Yep - I noticed both of those and mine were magnified by 15%. My wing also doesn't seat properly at the TE. I did consider trying to fair it in with a wedge of balsa on the lower fuselage behind the TE but decided that wouldn't look right either. I mitigated this by deciding that I couldn't see it when it was standing on its wheels.

And now to see a considerable volume of balsa reduced to shavings - the cowl!

1/8" sheet forms the outer side,with a 1" wide strip of 1/16" ply for reinforcement where it will screw on to the fuselage. This is built up with some soft 1/2" sheet that has been kicking around for 10 years or more looking for a home. This layer needs relieving to clear the mounting blocks, needle valve and throttle linkage.

Cowl sides.jpg

1/4*5/8" ply strips epoxied to the engine bulkhead form the mounting blocks.

Mounting points.jpg

With the ply nose ring attached to the back of the spinner using double sided foam tape I got the sides trimmed to length and glued to the nose ring. Then it's just a matter of filling in bits where cowl is needed with more 1/2" sheet and miscellaneous bits out of the scrap box. Just the top and some infill on the bottom to go on then i can start whittling. I've counterbored the screw positions so that the mounting screws will be sunk into the finished cowl biting directly on the 1/16" ply.

Cowl build-up.jpg

Cowl underside stage 1.jpg

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 08/03/2016 20:43:32

There are other ways of doing it Craig. One alternate option would be to go for a less curvaceous shape by using flat sheet sides, rolled sheet top and a 1/2" sheet plate at the front that can be given a bit of shape. Outline formers (ie the centres cut out to clear the engine and mount) would hold the sides and top in shape at the engine bulkhead end and the back of the 1/2" front sheet.

Meanwhile I'm ready to remove the engine and create a small mountain of wood chips.

Blunt object.jpg