Security for Field Storage - any bright ideas?

andyh

at my club we have a perennial problem of having our field storage - a pretty substantial shipping container - broken into by the local ne'er-do-wells & them relieving us of sit-on mowers & the like

the field is fairly remote, so lights and/or alarms, or even something that sends alerts/photos via mobile, are of limited use as getting someone physically down there would take a while. we've had the local Plod down to do an assessment, but there's not a great deal they can suggest

if anyone has any bright ideas, or solutions they've used themselves, I'd be most interested to hear them!

many thanks

Andy

Advert

Posted by Donald Fry on 03/02/2016 16:35:14:

Sad fact that when you have kit nicked, pondlife are aware where new kit is available in a week or two. The old solution of kneecapping by pistol, or drill, or crowbar is frowned on.

Plus a mains electric fence, automatic tazers

Edited By Martian on 03/02/2016 16:43:40

Hi Andy, how are they getting into the container? If its via the padlock, you could try a shrouded cover over the padlock.

We have a 5mm steel shroud and MUL-T- LOCK 10mm closed shackle padlock with 'interactive key' not cheap but the best you'll get and insurance approved.

CB

We had the same i.e. security , shrouded , padlocks etc. on our container .

The thieves just used an angle grinder on the container panelling ,pulled the sides apart and worked on the lock and door hinge mechanisms from the inside and took what they wanted .

The investigating police said the container was a magnet for the local ne'er do wells and the best solution would be to have it securely stored off site and trailer it back and forth .

Best of luck .

as ken says a shroud round the lock may work any decent welder fabby could knock one up and put it on for you.. however being a fab welder myself ive been to a fair number of building sites where the actual container hinges were cut and the door swung open ,on the lock !!! . some of these tea leaves would make really good efficient workers if you could catch them and convert them to the good side.. fly low

many thanks chaps, useful suggestions as always

I suppose the sad fact is that any reasonable barrier deterrent we may put up is still easily going to be defeated by a determined thief, given some time in a remote-ish location where noise isn't too much of an issue

the Tracker idea is interesting - thanks Percy. I had been thinking along the lines of Smartwater-type marking as a passive deterrent, but an active method would make sense. the mower is by far the most expensive thing we store in the container

thanks

Andy

The only thing I can suggest is reactive security, not the stupid kneecapping etc but bush cameras and also there's a system on the market that sprays a dye, not overly expensive and it's indelible, you can't eat it either wink. If you see anyone that's bright purple, that's the stuff. Very difficult to explain away.

When I investigated it about 15 years ago they were talking about having a dna type of thing in it which would make it even more difficult to explain away.

There are also postcoded microdots that may be worth looking into.

The only other advice I can offer is to see if your area's police force has a Rural crime prevention officer, knocking stuff off from farms is relatively big business and used to be a safe little earner, the CPO will be aware of low cost items (farmers are tight) that are effective, worth a try.

Posted by Percy Verance on 03/02/2016 20:33:40:

Chris

I think the club insurance has been scrapped by the underwriter, and is no longer available..........

Not quite right, Percy! It's the individual equipment insurance that has been discontinued. There is now equipment insurance for clubs included at no charge. This is from the December Club Bulletin;

"The optional equipment scheme has been discontinued for individual members (due to low uptake), but is now provided free of charge to all of our clubs. This is a significant additional benefit for BMFA affiliated clubs and provides buildings and contents cover up to £10,000. The BMFA would like to record its appreciation to John Capel and his team at Integro and Jon Wye at Mitsui Sumitomo for finding a way to facilitate this new arrangement."

Braddock, kneecapping is not stupid, it worked, but is no longer acceptable.

The sprays you talk of are Smartwater, and its variants. Micro dots are good on vehicles. Downside is you must have a suspect, and an investigator with the correct suspicion, expertise, and equipment to prove it. And there lies the rub. If it were that easy, pondlife would work for a living.

Society no longer punishes for property crime to any extent. Live with it, or not as you wish, but that is as it is. Sorry.

If they are not worried about noise, the time it takes or anyone seeing them from whatever distance, you've got no hope of protecting it. Once they've found it, they will keep coming back. By that I mean, monthly, 6 monthly or yearly or whatever time span fits into their tiny minds. An petrol powered angle grinder is very effective against virtually anything, if no-one can hear it, they will happily use it. Taking away the reward is the only thing that will work. But, that means them breaking in several times for no gain before they stop visiting you. Think of how a puppy thinks to replace the mind of the average thief. Do it and get a reward, they will keep on repeating it.

The trouble with MicroDots/Smartwater is that they rely on the the Police finding the item before they can trace the owner, great for when they do find an Aladins cave but they won't stop them breaking in and stealing the item in the first place, no matter how many signs you erect telling them that the contents are protected. Again, think of a puppy, would it not do something because of a sign? I accept that this is a bitter pill to swallow and but, for the grace of God, there goes our Club hut.