Field Battery Charger

David Hayward.

Advert

Re Transmitter - In both my Futaba FF7 and FF8 I've got 2500mah NiMh and I let them go to 5 hours use before a recharge and even then only 1200mah goes back in.

If I was worried I'd rather just take a spare fully charged battery pack to the field with me.

baz

Edited By brfc7 on 18/02/2016 21:34:24

David. If you charge he set as per the instructions the day before flying you should get a good days flying and the batteries should still have some charge left. As you want to charge a Rx battery the assumption is an I/C model. Electric models will use the flight battery to power the Rx ( usually) and they will require charging on the field unless you have a good supply of batteries.In this case you will need the type of chargers reccomended by others above.

John

If you feel you may need to recharge your transmitter or receiver packs at the field then a better option might be just to carry spare ready charged batteries. Otherwise you would need to have not only a charger but the means to power it (ie a 12 volt battery, which is a heavy lump). You could use your car battery but that's not something I'd want to do.

Actually, I'd be surprised if you needed to recharge at all if you were fully charged already.

Geoff

Posted by Geoff Sleath on 18/02/2016 21:29:44:

If you feel you may need to recharge your transmitter or receiver packs at the field then a better option might be just to carry spare ready charged batteries. Otherwise you would need to have not only a charger but the means to power it (ie a 12 volt battery, which is a heavy lump). You could use your car battery but that's not something I'd want to do.

Actually, I'd be surprised if you needed to recharge at all if you were fully charged already.

I agree, if you are a power flier you are very unlikely to need to field charge a modern 2.4 TX or your RX batteries in a given day if you are starting from s state of full charge.The only reason I have a field charger is for long away days on the slope - I have racked up greater than 6hrs flying in a day then, and without the needle noses of modern moulded gliders it can be nigh on impossible to replace the pack for in the field, hence the need to charge.

Posted by Rob43 on 19/02/2016 01:44:52:
David, what you maybe need is a small 12v to 240 v power inverter. Plugs in to your cigarette lighter in your car and you can use your existing charger at the feild if the need arises. A 150 w unit costs about 15 pounds on ebay or amazon.

Personally, I wouldn't do this for two reasons:

- they are very inefficient, as probably is the transformer that brings the voltage back down for the charger, so will draw a lot more power out of your 12v battery that if you have a direct 12v powered charger

- the quality of the output signal from small inverters is very poor - they can be square wave, triangle wave or simulated sign wave. Either way they are not as smooth as a normal mains signal and can damage the electronics of your charger. We fried the charger for our caravan battery by using a cheap inverter generator.

Posted by Keith Lomax on 19/02/2016 12:39:40:
Posted by Rob43 on 19/02/2016 01:44:52:
David, what you maybe need is a small 12v to 240 v power inverter. Plugs in to your cigarette lighter in your car and you can use your existing charger at the feild if the need arises. A 150 w unit costs about 15 pounds on ebay or amazon.

Personally, I wouldn't do this for two reasons:

- they are very inefficient, as probably is the transformer that brings the voltage back down for the charger, so will draw a lot more power out of your 12v battery that if you have a direct 12v powered charger

- the quality of the output signal from small inverters is very poor - they can be square wave, triangle wave or simulated sign wave. Either way they are not as smooth as a normal mains signal and can damage the electronics of your charger. We fried the charger for our caravan battery by using a cheap inverter generator.

And one of the small Maplin inverters saw off our (admitedly old) domestic oven during a power cut.
I am sure it was the poor output waveform that did not agree with the digital clock/control unit.

So many more options for straight DC chargers and 12v PSU are not difficult or expensive for use at home.