The final straw.Spectrum doubts

gliggsy

Just a friendly word of caution here chaps. Can we take this opportunity to remind a few of you that there is such a thing as a law of libel in the UK! This forum is classed as a publication and as such is subject to libel legislation.

There are posts on this thread that take what can only be classed as opinion based on individual observation but come very close to expressing these views as if they were indisputable, independently established, fact. This is a boundary that should not be crossed!

Can we request that those with "passionate" views on this matter please bear these points in mind and take care to carefully distinguish between proven fact and personal opinion. Otherwise we will have no choice other than the removal of posts which we believe expose this forum to unnecessary risk.

BEB

Advert

Hi guys, I do have a dx6i as a back-up,my first tx, which I haven't had any signal issues with, this is what prompted me to buy the 7 which is a dangerous piece of kit or at least mine is, also had a totally reliable Tom-Tom for 8years, never lost signal until it got stolen but don't get me started on the garmin which merely gets me lost on a regular basis......grrrrrrr

I can accept that folks have some good and some bad experiences with different manufactures and are entitled to give their opinion on what they have found. What I find difficult to accept is to brand a manufacturer a 'junk' this is clearly not the case and if asked to prove proof this in a court of law would find themselves in a difficult position and could be open to accusation of defamation. We all have our own opinions but we need to remain factual and not leave ourselves open to any legal repocussion. Would be interested in the mods opinion, are we breaking any rules with these threads ? Not trying to declare world war three over this but just trying to cover our bottoms should someone get ticked off over some our comments.

ok, question on a serious note, voltage on tx in afternoon 7,4 volts, had it on charge for a couple of hrs voltage at 7.7 volts and now range checks ok, could it have been low power on tx and why no low warning LED fitted on Tx......thoughts guys.....g

yes - that is exactly the point I am making above PC. We have no wish to stifle fair debate, nor would we wish to prevent someone form expressing their opinion - as long it is clear that that is what it is - an opinion. Everyone is entitled to a view - however they are not entitled to express that view in such a way that it assumes the status of general fact.

The only indisputable facts I can discern here are:

1. many people seem to use Spektrum kit.

2. some of those people seem to have signal integrity problems.

3. here is no clear evidence about the source of these problems.

4. A number of users have theories as to the source. These theories differ

Anything beyond that seems to me to an opinion - not a fact and should be clearly flagged up as such.

BEB

PS Your point regarding the thread title is a fair one - and as has happened on previous threads of this nature the title has now been amended to something more measured and balanced.

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 06/03/2016 22:50:59

gliggsy... on a serious note . i have no idea how or what you fly , but hand on heart , could /woukd you trust this tx again , only thing i woukd do is get a very cheap very hardy foamy and fly it to death , something that cant do much if any damage .. only question then is ,is it worth the hassle , my advice change and get on with enjoying your flying

Hi BEB have to say I do not envy your job it's a fine line you have to tread between allowing us to vent our opinions and maintain forum decorum. Any new members to the rc hobby looking to pick what rc gear to purchase could well be somewhat confused if searching through these types of threads, hope they pick up on the positives rather than the negatives. yes

Posted by gliggsy on 06/03/2016 22:41:28:

ok, question on a serious note, voltage on tx in afternoon 7,4 volts, had it on charge for a couple of hrs voltage at 7.7 volts and now range checks ok, could it have been low power on tx and why no low warning LED fitted on Tx......thoughts guys.....g

Unlikely, I would have thought. The Tx should transmit down to 4.8V IIRC - it's the battery protection that provides warnings/cutoff at 6.4/6.6V.

Pete

Bad connection on the RF board maybe.

You appear to have had some suspicions about your Tx as you say you are going to have it repaired before selling it, maybe you should try your other Tx before writing Spektrum off altogether, maybe just a Friday afternoon special that you got.

I have flown JR with a Spektum module for years with no issues and now have a Taranis that I can use the module in if I need to.

Just a note of caution.......I personally have experienced signal loss using an old DX7, easy to blame the gear but it turned out to be a dodgy deans connector. I have also witnessed four examples of brand new modelsof a very well known epo artf that are shipped with a very cheap version of a deans plug where the battery to esc connection would make and break simply by wobbling the connection. Rule out all the obvious stuff first I say

I tend to keep my gear for a long time. I bought a Swan 6 channel proportional 6 channel set in 1976. Some people said "rubbish", but I flew happily with it until Sanwa brought out their new "black" outfit in I think 1979. It was pricy then, but I couldn't resist it. Bear in mind it was 27 meg still then. I had it converted to 35 meg about 1983 and used it happily for years. A number of people said "rubbish, buy Futaba", but I had no problems so bought a couple more Sanwa transmitters, more receivers and servos over several years. I haven't used them for a long time now, but I'm sure they all still work. Eventually as the supply side on Sanwa started to go wobbly, I bought JR and used it very happily for a long time. Later as the 2.4 gig thing took off, I bought a Spektrum DX6 and messed around with a couple of foamies. As I got used to 2.4 I gradually retired the JR kit and bought a DX7, I have a range of Spektrum receivers that go in and out of different models.

If I'd listened to all of the negative comments about my choice of gear during the last 40 years I'd have slit my throat. I've had very few problems and those I did have were due to something stupid that I did myself, none were ever down to equipment failure. Clearly some people have been less lucky and they have my sympathy, things can happen. However, based on my own experience with Spektrum I can't criticise it. Clearly the Taranis has a lot going for it, but when I hear all of the wonderful things that you can do with it I get completely lost, so I will remain my normal dim-witted self and continue with what works for me.

I agree, Colin. The things I like about both Multiplex and Frsky are concerned with the elegance of the user interface although Frsky receiver prices influenced my choice when I moved over to 2.4gHz. Reliability has never been a real issue though, as a one time professional electronics engineer, I'm always slightly surprised at the confidence people have that the somewhat ephemeral RF link they have with their model is so taken for granted. But then, I'm astonished that supermarket checkouts work so well, too

My only gripe with Sanwa was their choice of servo power supply polarity which on one occasion cost me a servo when I inadvertently used an extension with crossed over connections.

Geoff

I like Sanwa and currently have 2 sets of RDS8000, and 11off 35 and 27 old Sanwa txes,

also fly with a DX7 and a JR.

and no problems at all EXCEPT the DX7 and JR have the charging leads reversed to the "rest of the world "!!!!!

cheers

ans Sanwa sold adapter leads for their "old " servos with the ribbed plugs

The other side of the coin....

Purchased one of the very first Spektrum DX9's, my first 2.4 set, and am absolutely delighted with my purchase. Totally reliable. My first rx's were Spektrum DSMX, an 8 and 2 x 4 channel. Then many - competively priced - Lemon rx's & rx/stabilizers.

I have recently purchased the new DX6 which very shortly I shall be putting to good use.

When in the past, I have damaged my Blade heli's, I have received fast, efficient service..with no charge.

So, I am one very satisfied customer.

I have an original DX7 (DSM2 only) which I have used since 2010. I have 3 AR7000s, AR6400NBL, 3 AR500s, an AR6210 and three Orange receivers. In 5 years I have had ONE lockout in a fun fly with an Orange R615 receiver. It rolled to level for about 2 seconds and then control came back. I think that's pretty blooming good. I am a realist that can see the small difference between good and perfect. I do think that owners of some brands would prefer to call a crash "dumb thumbs" rather than impune their so called "perfect" brand.

I also exclusively use 4 cells in my Rx packs on I.C models, keep promising to go 5 cell but never quite get around to it.

I do however take care to space my antennas out, fitting them at 90 degrees for multiple antennas and spacing satellites out correctly.

Shaunie.

I'm using a Spektrum DX9 Black edition and a QQ DX18 .... but since losing 2 precious models through loss of signal on DSM2 over a year ago, I've gone totally over to DSMX RX's ... so far no problems..... fingers crossed ! Also I would never power my Rx with any less than 6v as I too have had brown outs on 4.8v in the past on Spektrum. I use 5cell ni-mhs or life batteries.

Ronaldo

I use old Futaba 35mhz and Graupner Tx s with either makes Rx s and Sanwa Rx s I ' ve had no probs with any of them mix and matching . I had one signal loss when an aerial came adrift. Luckily it was on the final and gliding so it landed safely. Also use Sanwa servos and never had a problem with them either. Just lucky I guess

In 15 years of flying I've only had one futaba servo fail. I tend only to use Futaba and Hitec ones.

My only plane loss using Futaba Tx and FrSky Rx was due ( on rigorous testing) to me using the wrong plug cap on a spark eninge causing interference

Hi guys, certainly opened a hornets nest here, thanks for the replies. Just to clarify a couple of points. My battery monitor was showing a full battery and the reading was 7.4v. With one of the planes the battery wasn't ejected and as I approached the plane sprung into life at about 8'. Stepping backwards and forwards at this point was making and breaking the tx connection. Both on genuine rx's. I did have a few oranges etc but ditched them after too many failures, looks like they were innocent after all.....glyn

Posted by gliggsy on 08/03/2016 06:24:40:

Hi guys, certainly opened a hornets nest here, thanks for the replies

No Glyn this particular nest is open all over forums & social media across the web and has been for quite some time. All I will say is you pay your money & make your choice. There are enough tales of woe online and at the field to keep me from being tempted.

Just to add another view, I use JR XG11 and XG14 sets and have found them 100% reliable. Extremely fast binding to rx and blisteringly fast (very low latency) with no delay at all. I think that these points are at central to this debate about reliability. If you have doubts about the Spektrum system, then what radio has a bullet-proof RF link?

Well in my experience JR XG series with DMSS does. Also has xbus system that can be programmed from the Tx and a good telemetry system too. Every channel (even ch 14) has the same very fast frame rate so no delay on any control. So worth looking at the JR sets seriously if you are in the market for a new radio.  

Edited By David Ovenden on 08/03/2016 06:38:36

Edited By David Ovenden on 08/03/2016 06:57:56